2020 Goals

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What happened to Birchy, he used to organise a few?

Me and him needed a break from organising mega-meets, as it takes it out of you and takes its toll (I'm sure you've been in the same situation), although Glyn is a sadist.:)

I just mean for 4-8 of us to try and get together and play a few more opens together, as we used to do it regularly. We're not as spread out as youse north of the border, and all live within 30 miles of each other generally.

D

Deleted member 17920

The honest answer is I don’t know yet. I’m torn between playing more competitive golf at my current place or joining a far superior club in every other way, but playing fewer comps and likely no club scratch matches (which are my favourite).

If I stay with the familiar old girl my goal would defo be get down to 4 and help the club win the league.

But the other woman is Gal Gadot.
??

Agree it’s a massive decision.

You can get to 4 at our place you know ?

The scratch team however hmmmmm.... I couldn’t give my place up in that team for you ???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mainly I would like to break 80. I've shot 81 a few times so I'm not too far away. Probably won't happen til we're out of winter though.

Handicap wise I'd just like to keep it moving the right way. I reckon I could get down to 14 with a bit of effort. Since I'm not a big hitter anyway, most if not all of the focus will be on short game.

One thing I did in 2019 that I was pleased about was really improving my attitude on the course. As in, staying positive, not beating myself up after a bad shot, not getting in a bad mood after some bad holes, being confident with putts and it's not the end of the world if you knock one well past - all that kind of stuff. So I really want to keep that going as well, and not slip back into old ways of having a tantrum! :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Try and get the handicap from 13-11 (ideally lower)
Win a club comp before October and qualify for our end of season Masters for third straight year
Try and play as many different courses as possible

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My starter for ten is to get my head sorted around sh**king as its back with a vengeance that’s currently killing me...my final shot last time out on Tuesday ended up out of bounds, across a road, over a garden hedge and heading towards the house’s front door. It ended up sitting beautifully in middle of their lawn - I left it there.

Once I’ve got back to a position of being able to hit an iron without it disappearing off at a tangent I’ll be able to look at getting to 6 - which I can do - but obviously not while I am doing what I am currently doing. And somehow I will remain positive - I know what I have to do to get over this...and I have my daughter’s boyfriend helping me.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a few goals for the year, some just for fun and some more difficult to keep me working towards something.

1. Qualify for B Class championship (July)
  2. Win 2 times (August)
  3. Break 75 in a comp round (July)
  4. 70% fairways average (season)
  5. 40% Greens average (season)
  6. 32 or below putts per round (season)
  7. Birdie every hole over the course of the season
  8. Defend Millennium Salver (May)
I like to put a time frame on all of my goals so that you can re-evaluate throughout the season if you need. Also don't like to do a handicap goal now, as I used to get too tided down in trying to get to that number that I just ended up getting to frustrated. I need to get the handicap down to get into the B class championship, currently at 15.5 and need to get to a playing 15 to get into that class range. And if I can get my other targets on breaking 75 then I'll get a decent cut off 16, and if I can improve my GIR percentage then I know for sure that I will lower the handicap, that my main focus for the winter, improving the swing so I can get the GIR up.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My goal for 2020 and beyond is to maintain and increase my lads interest in golf, his ability far outweighs his ambition at the moment (but he isn't ten years old yet in fairness). Still undecided as to whether he is better in an academy or having an occasional one to one lesson with a pro. The latter seems a little intense for him at times, whereas the academy environment is more fun, even if it's not as tailored to him as an indivdual.
It's expensive to play out here so we are probably looking at playing 9 holes once a fortnight together at the moment - that's more than enough for the little dude.
I'd love to see him break 50 over 9 holes on a consistent basis, and I think he can by the end of the year - his mistakes cost him a lot of shots at the moment.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My goal for 2020 and beyond is to maintain and increase my lads interest in golf, his ability far outweighs his ambition at the moment (but he isn't ten years old yet in fairness). Still undecided as to whether he is better in an academy or having an occasional one to one lesson with a pro. The latter seems a little intense for him at times, whereas the academy environment is more fun, even if it's not as tailored to him as an indivdual.
It's expensive to play out here so we are probably looking at playing 9 holes once a fortnight together at the moment - that's more than enough for the little dude.
I'd love to see him break 50 over 9 holes on a consistent basis, and I think he can by the end of the year - his mistakes cost him a lot of shots at the moment.

Has to be fun every day of the week, he's a kid. Kisd are supposed to have fun. Can you not combine both, the academy stuff with the occasional one to one with a professional?

At 9 I'd just be encouraging him to play and enjoy it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Has to be fun every day of the week, he's a kid. Kisd are supposed to have fun. Can you not combine both, the academy stuff with the occasional one to one with a professional?

At 9 I'd just be encouraging him to play and enjoy it.

That's what I've done in the past, a bit of both.
The last teacher he had in the UK, Lee Shepherd at Cleckheaton - who was brilliant with him, said to me when I first took him there - that he wouldn't "get" golf until he was maybe 11 or 12, when he started to generate power to be able to hit the bal that bit longer. Lets be honest, there's nothing better than catching a ball out of the sweet spot and watching it sail into the distance. Having said that, his ball trajectory off the driver is now changing and he's getting more penetration with the ball flight, and in favourable conditions and with a bit of roll out he'll hit it close to 200 yards occasionally.
The pro at our local academy seems a good lad though, and the course offers a 9 hole green fee for the back nine which is pretty reasonable for both of us - so I'm thinking we focus our attentions there for a bit and see how it goes.

D

Deleted member 21258

Play and enjoy the golf, irrelevant of scoring.

Try and play some new courses.

Keep setting myself each year the goal of playing in an invitation at each golf club, but keep failing:oops:, but would like to this year.

Would like to shot another round under par, but isn't really a focus or a goal, if it happens its happens.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
2019 was better than i could have imagined this time last year and i intend to build on that in 2020.

*Join a club and play a lot more - >50 rounds (includes some 9 holes after work) at the club plus 16 society days at other courses
*Get a handicap
*Get handicap <18
*Track my game stats and practice accordingly - not sure how i'll go about that yet
*Practice short game - my up and downs from 40 yards and in must be ~10%, 10 yards and in isn't much better, i can save so many shots here
*Continue to be relaxed/calm on the course - 'Zen golf' should help further
*Beat my previous best score - i think it was 86 off yellows >10 years ago

I would have had 'not lose a ball during an 18 hole round' but did that in the last round of 2019.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t have any target goals as such as I’m working on something very specific.

for years I have been completely hindered by a huge inside takeaway. Now whilst I could still hit a very long and pure strike with it, the chances of my timing being bang on for the next shot were slim.

Been practicing very hard on rectifying it and the swing has never looked better. It also has resulted in some absolute worldy shots.

However at a moments notice. It returns mid round and it shoots my confidence to bits.

I hit it long, chip very, very well for my HC and my Arcoss putting handicap is showing I’m a cat 1 putter currently.

So my target this year is to bed this take away in come hell or high water. If I do that, then the world is my oyster.

See before (18 months ago) and after Just so hard not to slip into old habits. 387465C2-96EC-41A6-839B-D0E6FBA4FFAE.png

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t have any target goals as such as I’m working on something very specific.

for years I have been completely hindered by a huge inside takeaway. Now whilst I could still hit a very long and pure strike with it, the chances of my timing being bang on for the next shot were slim.

Been practicing very hard on rectifying it and the swing has never looked better. It also has resulted in some absolute worldy shots.

However at a moments notice. It returns mid round and it shoots my confidence to bits.

I hit it long, chip very, very well for my HC and my Arcoss putting handicap is showing I’m a cat 1 putter currently.

So my target this year is to bed this take away in come hell or high water. If I do that, then the world is my oyster.

See before (18 months ago) and after Just so hard not to slip into old habits. View attachment 28866

Yep, the diet is failing, as well. :cool: