2019 US PGA

maxy33

Visit site
I think the PGA suffered a bit in the 2000s too when you had one time major winners come out of nowhere like Rich Beem (Who I love on Sky, but he wasn't exactly a 'force' when he won) and Shaun Micheel, YE Yang etc.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Will be interesting to see how the new golfing calendar plays out - excitement for this major currently significantly less than that for the Masters, but that might change come Thursday.

Anyone who hits it long and accurately should do well. Spieth has been spraying everything from the tee but he has a good mental attitude so really wouldn't surprise me if he came through for the Slam. Will be shocked if Tiger is in the mix given how little he has played competitively since the Masters, but then the man lives to shock. DJ? McIlroy? Koepka? Rahm? Rose? All in the mood of the day.

Bryson D & Cantlay (unfortunately!) worth a shout e/w.

D

Deleted member 18588

I think the PGA suffered a bit in the 2000s too when you had one time major winners come out of nowhere like Rich Beem (Who I love on Sky, but he wasn't exactly a 'force' when he won) and Shaun Micheel, YE Yang etc.

What about Darren Clarke, Todd Hamilton and Ben Curtis at The Open during the same period?

If you go back through history all the Majors have had some one-off winners.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The so called “weakest” major of the year.

Really really like Bethpage Black though. Tough as old boots.

I hope that Rory has a stormer. Tiger again? Rose needs to step up and show his #1 credentials. DJ is probably my pick though.

Looking forward to it

Be interesting to see if it is this early in the season. The rough there is vicious later in the year and might favour straighter rather than longer players, but this early in the season the bomb and gouge mob might get away with it if there hasn't been much growth.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Be interesting to see if it is this early in the season. The rough there is vicious later in the year and might favour straighter rather than longer players, but this early in the season the bomb and gouge mob might get away with it if there hasn't been much growth.
A few videos knocking about showing the rough will be penal.

D

Deleted member 1740

I fancy DJ to do the business this week, shows form like the final 2 days at The Masters and he’s in with a real chance.

I’ve backed him at 11/1 and Schauffele FRL @ 35’s

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said, I too can never really get particularly excited about this, and although a contentions view in the eyes of some (because of the entrance criteria) I'd rather watch The Players at Sawgrass which comes across on TV as much more of an "event".

Perhaps the change in US PGA's scheduling might give it a lift, and also as Bethpage Black is an absolute monster, then whoever wins will have had to battle hard and as such will be a worthy winner.

Re the rough. Looking at Sky's preview earlier this evening it looks shocking.

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I fancy DJ to do the business this week, shows form like the final 2 days at The Masters and he’s in with a real chance.

I’ve backed him at 11/1 and Schauffele FRL @ 35’s
I'm on Schauffele @40. Backed him for all 4 majors at similar odds at start of season.

Then Rahm 18's with betway. They'll payout of he leads after any round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this side of the Atlantic at least the USPGA is always going to be viewed as the poor relation in terms of the majors but it has got its place as one and so I don't see any reason to take that mantle away from it or play around with adding another outside the US. If and when we truly get a global tour as opposed to players picking and choosing to play the big events outside Europe or the US (China Open etc) then the time may come to decide to introduce a fifth major, perhaps one of the WGC's and then host it globally in different countries. Until then I am happy enough with the status quo

maxy33

Visit site
What about Darren Clarke, Todd Hamilton and Ben Curtis at The Open during the same period?

If you go back through history all the Majors have had some one-off winners.

Also true, but I guess as already mentioned that is overlooked due to the tradition, history and heritage of The Open.

D

Deleted member 18588

Also true, but I guess as already mentioned that is overlooked due to the tradition, history and heritage of The Open.

Trouble is we are looking at this from a non-American viewpoint.

The prestige of the USPGA is much higher over there and due to the relative "size" of golf in different parts of the world that remains the most influential.

Many, not all, Americans aren't that impressed by the Open due to the unique nature of the courses used.

To me that is crazy but I am someone who grew up when the Open was the only golf I would ever see on TV and, therefore, links golf had to be "real" golf.

Different golfing cultures.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
I actually prefer the PG Championship to the U.S. Open these days, which has turned into a Mike Davis power-trip. Bethpage as a Par 70, will be a stern enough test, and the PGA of America, will simply let the course sort them out - it's such a great course, that single-digits under will win it.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Molinari hitting provisional on the 10th after pulling his drive. Rough seems to be links like.

Tiger just missed the fairway and had 201 in and had to lay up.

Long and straight seems to be key already

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Featured groups currently live on sky sports YouTube channel.

I have a variety of place bets on Fowler, Cantley, Casey and an American whose name I forget....