YouTubers.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw this on Facebook, someone posted it on the GolfMates forum (hence why he's circled them in the list). Interesting reading - there's some high up that list that I'd never heard of! I believe it's UK only as well, hence GolfSidekick, Paige etc all missing.

I asked about why Crossfield is missing, it's because he's defined as 'golf coach' rather than content creator or something. So I guess the same applies to Danny Maude, Matt Fryer, etc.

It's pretty daft how far out in front Shiels actually is though based on this. 6th, 7th and 8th in the list I'd not heard of at all.

View attachment 52840

He also shared the list of top 'golf coaches' afterwards:

View attachment 52841

Grieve should be higher!

Grieve doesn't teach you how to hit BOMBS 💣

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I saw this on Facebook, someone posted it on the GolfMates forum (hence why he's circled them in the list). Interesting reading - there's some high up that list that I'd never heard of! I believe it's UK only as well, hence GolfSidekick, Paige etc all missing.

I asked about why Crossfield is missing, it's because he's defined as 'golf coach' rather than content creator or something. So I guess the same applies to Danny Maude, Matt Fryer, etc.

It's pretty daft how far out in front Shiels actually is though based on this. 6th, 7th and 8th in the list I'd not heard of at all.

View attachment 52840

View attachment 52841

Grieve should be higher!
Finch deserves more subs. His content is now far superior to Ricks. As is Iona’s.

And how has Maud got so many subs and views. What I have seen of him is terrible. That said, I don’t watch any institution videos apart from Dan Grieve.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I simply have no idea how anyone watches Golf Mates. I know we all have different likes and interests, but it's a bit like saying you prefer hitting your drives into a pond instead of on the fairway.

People talk about waterboarding or shock treatment as means of torture, but listening to that bloke spout nonsense for more than a minute is worse than anything I can possibly imagine.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I simply have no idea how anyone watches Golf Mates. I know we all have different likes and interests, but it's a bit like saying you prefer hitting your drives into a pond instead of on the fairway.

People talk about waterboarding or shock treatment as means of torture, but listening to that bloke spout nonsense for more than a minute is worse than anything I can possibly imagine.

I found it harmless viewing for a while and quite enjoyed it but it all becomes very samey very quickly and it has come across as more and more forced over time. Not watched one for ages now.

The channel has done a good job setting up a community that seem to meet and play together though and so has done something decent for the average golfer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finch deserves more subs. His content is now far superior to Ricks. As is Iona’s.

And how has Maud got so many subs and views. What I have seen of him is terrible. That said, I don’t watch any institution videos apart from Dan Grieve.

Rick has simply cracked America. Numbers are unreal once you do that

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It’s golf YouTube for middle aged men who read The Sun or Daily Star and go on ladz bender weekends to Benidorm.

Watch Big Dave the beer monster throw up on the first tee then top his drive before Heart Attack Alan 💩’s himself on the 8th as last night’s 12 pints of Fosters and the Chicken Vindaloo make an unexpected re-appearance.

Chicken and Rice 🤣

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Is it though? Or is it more like saying you prefer to watch someone hit one in a pond than the fairway? Which you might find funnier or more relatable.

I used to watch Golf Mates quite a bit, but as GB72 said, they pretty much ran out of ideas a while back and it's just a lot of matches against each other for a fiver, seemingly. The accents probably did grate on me after a while too. But, people have different tastes, and I can see why a lot of people have related to it. I like the old feller OMP, he's great to watch actually, the way he gets round a course with no fuss at all.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it though? Or is it more like saying you prefer to watch someone hit one in a pond than the fairway? Which you might find funnier or more relatable.

I used to watch Golf Mates quite a bit, but as GB72 said, they pretty much ran out of ideas a while back and it's just a lot of matches against each other for a fiver, seemingly. The accents probably did grate on me after a while too. But, people have different tastes, and I can see why a lot of people have related to it. I like the old feller OMP, he's great to watch actually, the way he gets round a course with no fuss at all.

Agree, OMP is a good watch but the others quickly slipped in to 'YouTube Celebrity Mode' and started to force things and lose the natural approach of just watching mates have a round that they had before.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree, OMP is a good watch but the others quickly slipped in to 'YouTube Celebrity Mode' and started to force things and lose the natural approach of just watching mates have a round that they had before.
Definitely. Some of the 'funny moments' you could tell were set-up whereas they never used to be.

Raziren

Visit site

View attachment 52840

View attachment 52841

Grieve should be higher!

The full data is published on this website

choose youtube ranks / golf

you can then filter (blue box) eg by country
you can also click on a channel name and it gives charts etc and shows how successful recent videos

the guy also has a youtube channel where he sometimes goes over the numbers & explains what they mean & what he has spotted, couple of examples below

full list here

funnily enough some of his videos only get about 30-100 views. One about Grace Charis, 35k 😮

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
funnily enough some of his videos only get about 30-100 views. One about Grace Charis, 35k 😮

This sums up golf YouTube, it's not the content but who you are.

I make the most interesting and best researched videos on YouTube (honest!) but get a tiny fraction of Grace Charis' views, even though she just shows up, hits a few balls and bounces around in a buggy.
Why is that?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This sums up golf YouTube, it's not the content but who you are.
I think is more the effectiveness of the machine behind you, as Shiels proves, having nothing particular to offer himself above the rest, if even as much. But a well orchestrated media programme is the critical bit on youtube rather than the content. It reaches a critical mass and you have a runaway views irrespective of the value of the content.

Plug for bebettergolf who is like an amateur, more scatter brained, Padraig Harrington golf nut type searching for the swing secret.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anybody manage to watch more than 3 holes of the Tubes and Goldstein video?? 🫣 It's some of the worst golf I've seen and I'm a 24 handicapper. It's really cringe too. Unfortunately, the channel has been getting loads as they've been sponsored by a 'friendly' betting company which seems a bit odd too.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Finch’s “banter” is horrendous.
He just constantly try’s to be funny…but he’s not.
Painful viewing 😵‍💫

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Anybody manage to watch more than 3 holes of the Tubes and Goldstein video?? 🫣 It's some of the worst golf I've seen and I'm a 24 handicapper. It's really cringe too. Unfortunately, the channel has been getting loads as they've been sponsored by a 'friendly' betting company which seems a bit odd too.
I watch the Channel when Bullard is playing a decent golfer.
But can’t watch Tubes or his brother.
How is tubes off 14 😂

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Watched a couple of holes and stopped, it was horrendous stuff to try watch.
I saw that about the sponsorship, no such thing as a "friendly" betting company especially if they're taking your money. Try telling that to the family of a gambling addict. A strange sponsor seeing as Tubes himself knows the dangers of addiction

ColBrown

Visit site
Mark Allen from Hillsborough GC has some good pointers step by step without speeding through the whole shot so I've learnt how to break the technique into practicable blocks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have Mia Baker https://www.youtube.com/@miaellax filming at my course today
My condolences. I saw her on a Bad Golf video last year and found her incredibly annoying. Not only that, but she told them her handicap was 20, which seemed high given that her swing looked good and she pretty much striped everything. I checked her on EG since I know she's a member at Foxhills, and her handicap was in fact 4. So she's a bandit as well. 😂

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw an interesting crossfield video about improving distance and accessing the existing hand speed .. pretty sure it had some value and was pretty interesting.
I also found another instructional video about building up a learning routine. Wasn’t too sure about this mental separation of current vs intended .. as in your body will do what it’s learning to the level it’s learned.
Of course my swing is a complete shambles now with all this great YouTube input