YouTubers.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Who are you watching?
Peter Finch is ok, he has quite a good mix of content.
How has Rick shiels got to 2million subs!
Crossfield, wishes he was shiels.
Danny Maude ? To excitable for me?
Me and my golf... Can't work these out but I'm not a fan.
Bad golf, I like the bloke off taskmaster

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree about Dan Hendrikson, sometimes you just want to watch some golf and they do it well. The Christmas special was excellent.

Disagree about Crossfield wanting to be Shiels, much prefer the former. I really don’t know how Shiels has got so many subscribers. Each to their own I suppose. I’ll mainly watch crossfield for the course vlogs, and the odd equipment review if it’s something I’m interested in.

Alex Evans is another up and coming one, been around a couple of years now, he used to mainly post videos of him playing practice rounds. However, he’s pals with Paul Waring and for the last 8-10 months he’s been caddying for him, which has resulted in some great vlogs.

Stacked golf is good if you’re interested in watching people buy second hand clubs at bargain prices, they go to car boots, charity shops etc (the American equivalent). They’re easy to watch I find! SAS golf is a similar uk version.

I find I tend to go through phases of really liking a channel, but then get fed up or irritated after a while. Golfmates and tubes are a bit like that. In small doses they’re great, but after a while the catchphrases and banter gets a bit repetitive. I end up trying them again after a bit of a break!

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree about Dan Hendrikson, sometimes you just want to watch some golf and they do it well. The Christmas special was excellent.

Disagree about Crossfield wanting to be Shiels, much prefer the former. I really don’t know how Shiels has got so many subscribers. Each to their own I suppose. I’ll mainly watch crossfield for the course vlogs, and the odd equipment review if it’s something I’m interested in.

Alex Evans is another up and coming one, been around a couple of years now, he used to mainly post videos of him playing practice rounds. However, he’s pals with Paul Waring and for the last 8-10 months he’s been caddying for him, which has resulted in some great vlogs.

Stacked golf is good if you’re interested in watching people buy second hand clubs at bargain prices, they go to car boots, charity shops etc (the American equivalent). They’re easy to watch I find! SAS golf is a similar uk version.

I find I tend to go through phases of really liking a channel, but then get fed up or irritated after a while. Golfmates and tubes are a bit like that. In small doses they’re great, but after a while the catchphrases and banter gets a bit repetitive. I end up trying them again after a bit of a break!

I watched Hendriksen for a while but it got very repetitive( but don't they all!) and I unsubscribed, I'll have to give them another go. I only really meant Crossfield wishes he was as popular as Shiels seeing as MC has been at this game for as long as anyone probably one of the oldest youtube golf channels, yet he seems to have got stuck at the same number of followers for a long time while others have flown past.

Neeko1988

Visit site

Agree on Golf Mates. Likeable guys but very repetitive 3/4 hole matches with same people. Does have the odd good video with Dan Gavins etc though.

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
The best thing about Crossfield is that he's done a lot of course vlogs mnear me. Any time I'm looking to a new place, I'll probably end up watching one of those to get a feel for it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Shiels has hit two million by cracking the US, I think he's altered his style a bit to suit that market.

I like Dan Hendrikson apart from the Sunday Show, although the occasional guest can be a bit uninspiring.

I used to like Bad Golf but they seem to have lost their spark and John Robins is no longer a bad golfer.

Golf Mates can still be entertaining but sometimes he tries too hard.

Matt Fryer and Andy Carter do some good stuff, as well as some not so good.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In addition to the above :
Athletic Motion Golf for instruction
No Laying Up for nicely produced US golf course vlogs/travelogues. Although it's quite character driven, so likely to be much more palatable to those who have been listening to the NLU pods for a while.

Boomy

Visit site
Mark Crossfield seems to give really balanced reviews which I like.
All of the “gimmicky/novelty channels” are ok for short bursts of entertainment but can be repetitive and irritating after a little while. The playing up to the camera becomes tedious quickly when they’re reviewing products or courses.
Coach wise the only one I would look at is Danny Maude, I like the way he explains things through. Although I rarely look for any coaching stuff as I rely on my real coach’s guidance and try not to clutter my head.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
James Robinson and Mike Newton are pretty good, although the former is getting a bit samey.
Alex Etches is a bit of a tit, but occasionally enjoyable.
TXG is still brilliant.
Also, on Instagram, check out Pete Lockett, who does some great teaching content and Manoloteachesgolf, who I find hilarious.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Almost all the channels get "samey" after a while.
Haven't watched a Crossfield video in years..does he still talk down to those who don't agree with him?
Never been a fan of course clogs to be honest so don't watch those.
Peter Finch is trying too hard, Rick Shiels is trying to appeal to everyone and James Robinson just seems to do the same thing 4 or 5 times a week.
Mike " sort of" Newton, again, is ok but uninspiring
Never seen the appeal of Tubes or Golfmates.
2nd Swing is getting better, TXG is at a crossroads but should still be one of the best.
I like Golfalot with Sophie Walker..and drop in on the AverageGolfer regularly

And I will still refuse to watch any YouTube video with dirty great red arrows all over the thumbnail pointing out what the video is about when anyone with the faintest sight can tell without said indication....eg a picture of a new iron...the title "My new irons?" and a red arrow pointing to the iron.....it's the only thing in the bloody picture..what else do you think we'relooking at?...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I watched Hendriksen for a while but it got very repetitive( but don't they all!) and I unsubscribed, I'll have to give them another go. I only really meant Crossfield wishes he was as popular as Shiels seeing as MC has been at this game for as long as anyone probably one of the oldest youtube golf channels, yet he seems to have got stuck at the same number of followers for a long time while others have flown past.

Oh I see what you mean. I think Shiels chases the subscribers, as someone else has said, especially in the US. Seems to have quite a big team around him as well. I really don’t understand it as he’s not really saying anything different to any of the others.
Almost all the channels get "samey" after a while.
Haven't watched a Crossfield video in years..does he still talk down to those who don't agree with him?

He certainly does yeh, that side of him I don’t like, but to me he’s the least annoying of them!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It's one of the reasons his subscriber numbers aren't getting bigger. People don't tend to like rude people.

The reason Rick Shiels is popular is because is stuff has a lot of mainstream appeal, the videos are often short and easy to watch.

Personally, I just do not have enough time in the day to watch 30 minute course vlogs, and even if I did, I'm not sure I really care enough about watching a random YouTuber knock a ball around a course. Each to their own, which is one of the great things about YouTube - there's plenty of choice for all of us :)