Your Clubs Invitation Day

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We missed it off our schedule this year, until I got dumped with the role of Comp Sec and squeezed it in, in September. We do it as a shotgun start in an afternoon and load the tees up with extra groups, one extras on long par fives, 17 +18 plus an extra one on the 1st as the 18th is a long par five. We've got 17 tees booked up so far, which I think is great, but no, the Richard heads on the top committee want 20. The attitude of most of the members is that they aren't fussed about it all.
Is your invitation day starting to be a bit of a wash out, or still a proper good day at the club?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours was full this year, 2 comps, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. All tee times full. The only thing that annoyed the members was having the club championship the next day. This taking part could not practice the day before and those not entering saw the course closed for a whole weekend

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is a bit hit and miss, really depends on what day is chosen.

We have it at normal tee groups though, as shotgun start would mean the course effectively being closed for the whole day ... not particularly fair on the members that aren't taking part.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Until this year our was a morning shotgun start with 20 or so groups (40 pairs) and pretty popular especially as the lunch afterwards was a tasty roast with all the trimmings :) The ladies had a similar event on another day.

This year there will be am and pm shotgun starts and it is a mixed event which is all fine, BUT they've gone from the full monty roast dinner to a 'lite-bite' :eek::eek::eek:.

The world is going to hell in a handcart.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to The RAC clubs earlier in the year and it was fantastic. I was guest of the captain so got the right royal treatment.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't have one anymore it used to be a good day out with the tee booked all day but nothing at all now ,pity as was a chance to invite people from other courses to play the course.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is this Saturday, I fancied playing in it but my usual PP can be difficult to actually get a hold of for a game so didn't bother asking him to come and play. Plus I wanted to play the medal on Sunday and with a foot injury its probs best for me to just play once this weekend.

When I looked at the sheet on Friday last week it was fairly full, we do ours off standard tees, with men and women mixed it just with same sex pairs so that prizes can be done better.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seen it drop off at a previous club. Format was tweaked but it didn't make much difference. As for others telling you what to do... you're comp sec. Tell 'em to *cough or take on the job full time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We Have a Members and Guests day, but it tends to be the Overseas members bring a guest. Its £100 and they get two rounds and a Black tie Dinner, Its a bit of a loss for the club cash wise but they often pick up more oversea members from it so it's ok in the end.

DCB

Visit site
We have one every summer. Used to play in it regularly as it was always a good day. Not sure what the turnout was this year as I was on holiday, but, it certainly isn't as busy a start sheet as it used to be a few years back.

Shame really 'cause a lot of work goes in to making it happen and it is a good day out.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours was scheduled for weekend after next but has just been pulled.

Numbers dwindling year-on-year sadly. Format tweaked a while back but didn't stop the rot I fear.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is way too expensive at my place and so is poorly subscribed and has occasionally had to be cancelled due to lack of support. In my ope you want to get as many visitors on the course as possible so as to generate interest in joining and to show off your course and club. Too much focus IMO on it being 36holes with food before - in between - and formal dinner after. Just make it one round in am with other fun golf activities in pm - eg putting comp; chipping comps; longest drive with a 5i; 3 club etc, running continuously and that you can play as often as you wish.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Due to declining interest our club haven't had an invitation day for at least 3 years now. The last one we had my guest and I managed to win it (by default as the pair with the best score by a mile were dq'd because the guest didn't have an active handicap). This year they are trying a corporate day where members/local businesses are being asked to submit teams of four in a shotgun start. Hopefully members with business connections will help make the day a success.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have 2 every year the first is a 4bbb held in June , it use to be full Saturday and Sunday, but now it's only held on the Saturday, always a full sheet.
The 2nd is a 4 man Texas scramble, being held this Saturday and the sheet is full.
Both comps cost £20 per team and are really fun days , with a bar/tent and barbecue out on the course.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ours is very well attended, so much so we have a shotgun start AM (8.30) and PM (1.30) and some tees are doubled up on both tee times.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems to me that it's something of a 'barometer' about members attitudes!

No need to make it anything fancy imo - just Member&Guest in a 4-ball setup (shotgun start to get everyone finishing at same time!) friendly comp!

After all, it's an opportunity to show the course/club off!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've held them but pretty sure last year's was cancelled due to lack of take up, It's a shame but something our membership seem reluctant to embrace. No idea why but it doesn't' seem unique to my club so maybe the concept is out date or needs revisiting

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We're holding ours in a weeks time (Saturday) which is later than last few years. I can't play due to holidays, but the sheet looks fairly full. Ours is a fairly standard 4BBB with early morning, late morning and mid afternoon slots. Normal set up, no shotgun starts or similar.

Hopefully next year it won't clash with my holiday!