Your Clubs Invitation Day

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two mens ones at ours held on a Sunday, two ladies ones are held on a Thursday (which means we lose out on two qualfying comps) and a mixed one on a Sunday which myself and my partner won last Sunday:)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ours is BB pairs, playing as fourballs.

I'm told that you used to have to be at the club early in the morning on the day the sheet went up to get your name down for ours and be sure of a space.

Membership isn't so large now and we still have spaces for this year's event due to be played on 21st August, currently has 26 tee times taken though so 104 players.

D

Deleted member 21258

I attend one with a friend in Essex, and this used to be very well attended and whilst still quite well attended, they do not have the same numbers as say 3 years prior ago.

Does anyone remember these days prior to the Tiger boom(as I heard someone refer to the Tiger effect and growth in the sport at the time as).

Where these days really well attended going back to say early 90s ?

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours is this Saturday but there's loads of gaps on the sheet but still the course is closed till 2.00pm !!! The notice says that the presentation is at 7.00pm and that all participants are expected to stay which is probably the reason for the poor turnout. A shotgun start and buffet afterwards with immediate presentation would make much more sense but hey what do i know ???

D

Deleted member 18588

I attend one with a friend in Essex, and this used to be very well attended and whilst still quite well attended, they do not have the same numbers as say 3 years prior ago.

Does anyone remember these days prior to the Tiger boom(as I heard someone refer to the Tiger effect and growth in the sport at the time as).

In my experience better supported then (i.e. 80's & 90's) than more latterly. Was one of the most eagerly anticipated dates on the Club(s) calendar.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

The boom was started in the mid 80's in Europe, on the back of some great players becoming world players. Seve, Faldo, Langer, Lyle & Woosnam. Course building went through the roof.

And you struggled to get in to the invitation's if you didn't get your name down quickly enough.

D

Deleted member 21258

Many thanks for the replies, interesting to hear.

Sounds like golf reducing numbers, more clubs, busier lives are all issues.

Have to say did not attend my clubs invitation day, due to not really knowing anyone in this area we moved to and it was 18 holes, so not really worth someone travelling from Essex to here. I think Adam said it wasn't fully subscribed at ours but could be wrong(doh!).