Would you want your tee box allocated based on driving distance?

D

Deleted member 15344

So if you allow someone to play of a shorter course than others then what about their HC - surely as they are playing a shorter course then their HC will need to reflect that ? And then they come to comps time - which tee do they use ?

If people need a shorter course to have enjoyment then play a shorter course but when playing the game of golf every single person uses the same tee and the HC will level things out.

Playing amateur golf will always involve a HC unless playing scratch golf so they cannot be ignored.

It seems that the suggestion is to make it shorter is more enjoyable because why though ? Because the course will be easier.

In all the suggestions I'm going to say it's one I expect never to be introduced in golf clubs.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So if you allow someone to play of a shorter course than others then what about their HC - surely as they are playing a shorter course then their HC will need to reflect that ? And then they come to comps time - which tee do they use ?

If people need a shorter course to have enjoyment then play a shorter course but when playing the game of golf every single person uses the same tee and the HC will level things out.

Playing amateur golf will always involve a HC unless playing scratch golf so they cannot be ignored.

It seems that the suggestion is to make it shorter is more enjoyable because why though ? Because the course will be easier.

In all the suggestions I'm going to say it's one I expect never to be introduced in golf clubs.

Its not about handicap

And even it it was why cant a player have a handicap obtained off the yellow tee'd course?

D

Deleted member 15344

Its not about handicap

And even it it was why cant a player have a handicap obtained off the yellow tee'd course?

You can get a HC of the yellow tees

And it's amateur golf and not playing scratch it's always about HC - the HC is the most crucial aspect of the club game

You can't allow people to play a shorter course than others and give them the same HC - it's quite simple

Allowing people to drive off shorter tees because they don't drive it as far as others ?! Well their HC will prob be reflected of that and will no doubt have more shots to play with that longer hitters - its a nonsense idea

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its not about handicap

I think handicaps level THE (ie only 1) playing field, you cant all of a sudden start having handicaps on pitch and putt courses which are not comparable to other players on longer courses.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no way it will work. People in roll-ups / bounce games etc will all play from the same tee, which will be the tee furthest back that people are happy on. And for comps it will all be from the same tee.

It's also a bit of an odd one, because just because you can drive it 300 yards doesn't mean you're a better golfer than someone who can only drive it 180. Handicaps take care of that.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's not about handicap comp golf, then it's about social golf.

Not very sociable playing off different tees :eek:

It's a silly idea, same as making the hole bigger. Golf's not supposed to be easy

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
I think teeing it forward makes perfect sense for recreational golfers (e.g. seniors) who play just for fun and don't care about competitive golf or handicaps. Actually being able to reach a par4 in two will make golf more enjoyable for those people.

And having the tee box allocated based on the driving distance (instead of handicap) could make it easier for them to actually move up one or two tee boxes, since it does away with the implications they're "not good enough" to play the longer tees.
No one likes to say "I'm not as good anymore" while especially older people have no problem to admit they "just don't hit it as far anymore".

When it comes to competitions everyone should be playing the same tees, since the extra shot someone may need from tee to green is already included in that person's handicap.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bear in mind that tee it forward was dreamt up in the U.S., where golf is quite different. Fewer members clubs, more casual golf on public courses, typically more tees to choose from, usga handicapping system, slope ratings etc etc.
In that environment it makes sense.

It is hard to translate that directly into the club centric, competition driven world of golf in the UK.

It might be doable, but requires some out of the box thinking.

If a player can't reach greens in reg, then teeing it forward is likely to be more enjoyable than just handing them extra shots on their handicap. I can definitely see value in it for senior players at least.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Teeing it forward is not a bad idea for social golf. Especially for those who aren't very good. This is obvious.

When you go to nice new courses they have plenty of tee options. This isn't an option for many 100 year old clubs who are dying on their knees. It costs money to maintain these areas and also the space van often be limited.

Granted, pegs could be thrown down anywhere on the fairway and it would do just fine.

You simply can't change tees for comps depending on handicaps as not every player has the same strengths and weaknesses.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think teeing it forward makes perfect sense for recreational golfers (e.g. seniors) who play just for fun and don't care about competitive golf or handicaps. Actually being able to reach a par4 in two will make golf more enjoyable for those people.

And having the tee box allocated based on the driving distance (instead of handicap) could make it easier for them to actually move up one or two tee boxes, since it does away with the implications they're "not good enough" to play the longer tees.
No one likes to say "I'm not as good anymore" while especially older people have no problem to admit they "just don't hit it as far anymore".

When it comes to competitions everyone should be playing the same tees, since the extra shot someone may need from tee to green is already included in that person's handicap.

So allow them to shorten the hole just so they can reach a par 4 in two ? But then it's not really playing the hole to its truest length and the shot they may have on that hole is incorrect ?

Even during social roll ups HC are used , HC are used in pretty much every social game I have ever played in

Even people playing for fun include their HC when scoring or having a game against their mates

D

Deleted member 15344

Bear in mind that tee it forward was dreamt up in the U.S., where golf is quite different. Fewer members clubs, more casual golf on public courses, typically more tees to choose from, usga handicapping system, slope ratings etc etc.
In that environment it makes sense.

It is hard to translate that directly into the club centric, competition driven world of golf in the UK.

It might be doable, but requires some out of the box thinking.

If a player can't reach greens in reg, then teeing it forward is likely to be more enjoyable than just handing them extra shots on their handicap. I can definitely see value in it for senior players at least.

In the U.S. from what I have witnessed they love to win money of each other and play lots of social golf but HC is still very much involved

It's all stuff to make the game easier for some - well that's where the HC comes into it , to level off for people's ability.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't each tee carry a different SSS making it possible to play as part of the same competition as handicaps would 'alter' in the same way that they do when a man is playing a match against a lady?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the U.S. from what I have witnessed they love to win money of each other and play lots of social golf but HC is still very much involved

It's all stuff to make the game easier for some - well that's where the HC comes into it , to level off for people's ability.

And usually a group will all play from the same tees if they are competing. All tees have different course and slope ratings so HC's can and are still calulated.
A situation they have less of is a large field all competing in a single comp.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think this is supposed to be about serious comps.

Its just about choosing the right set of tees for your group's ability when you have a choice.

OP please correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think this is supposed to be about serious comps.

Its just about choosing the right set of tees for your group's ability when you have a choice.

OP please correct me if I'm wrong.

If thats the case then this is only sensible for sure! Provided your all off the same one.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Remember Golf is supposed to be fun.

As an 18 handicapper, with decent length, I still slump when I see there's a 400 yard par 4 coming up. I then feel I'm under pressure to hit a good drive & often make a mess of it.

I know that's the sport, but driving is only one element of it.

Length is ruining many good courses for professional events & it seems that all new courses have to be over 7000 yards. This would not be fun for most handicap golfers.

The governing bodies have to cut down length that guys are hitting it. They have to find a way of regulating the ball or clubs so that guys swinging at 115 mph are not hitting the ball much further than guys at 100 mph. This will improve golf, without penalising handicap players. They regulated wedges very closely, so I'm sure they can do the same with driving.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
The best thing about golf is everyone regardless of ability plays the same golf course

That's the best thing about golf for you? Personally I like the challenge, the camaraderie, the fresh air, the chance for improvement, the scenery, the 19th hole et al - playing the same course as everyone else wouldn't even come in my Top 10, but whatever floats your canoe.