How many holes on your course can you not reach in reg ?

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
There are no greens at our place that I can't reach. Doesn't mean I hit them all all the time though. There are a couple where it takes 2 really good tonks, but I'm fairly comfortable hitting anything up to 220 (16 degree rescue) and will very rarely consider laying up if I'm closer than that. Anything further needs a 3 wood and I'd then have to think very carefully whether to risk it, but other than par 5's there are no holes on our course where I'm needing 3 wood into the green.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
my question is it safe to fire at the green or is it guarded by water, bushes or OB? if not then id have a go. otherwise id think of a layup strategy!

I agree Gary - you have to l play the shot that feels most comfortable on the day. I've learnt many a time not to go for it when out of position. Indeed, many of my pars on that hole have come from laying up, putting a good wedge onto the green and single putting. It's amazing what a bit of course management can do.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 2 par 4s that are around 440 yards off the whites and around 425 off yellows, both with the last 200 yards or so all uphill so it takes 2 good skelps to get there.

And when the fairways are as soft as they are at minute they are 2 monster par 4s and both are usually into the wind.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree Gary - you have to l play the shot that feels most comfortable on the day. I've learnt many a time not to go for it when out of position. Indeed, many of my pars on that hole have come from laying up, putting a good wedge onto the green and single putting. It's amazing what a bit of course management can do.

the lay up, one putt par ! theres not much sweeter in my book! you have played the hole perfectly to plan and sunk a nice putt! :thup:

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I can comfortably reach all our holes in reg, and with the right conditions all 3 of our par 5s can be reached too.
Unfortunately dont always have the technique to do so. Hence why this year i am averaging almost 70% FIR but only 60% GIR. 6HCP and course 6600 par72 ss72.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
scrambleing my heading thinking of these two. yeah 4 is long and 14 is another hard one. is that the hole just before the short par 3?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can reach all greens in regulation and because i can, I go for them. I am not confident enough with my short game to lay up and bank on getting up and down. My short game is by no means lousy but id rather leave a full shot to the green rather than a 70 yard half shot. better to risk missing GIR than intentionally giving it up in my book. Id tend to be more tactical on the teebox, if a 3i gets me within reach, ill hit it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
that par 3 was the only 1 i blanked there last time. took a 52 wedge and put it in the front bunker. couldnt hold the green coming out it and didnt get up and down. :angry: sir was not impressed! :rofl:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can reach all greens in regulation and because i can, I go for them. I am not confident enough with my short game to lay up and bank on getting up and down. My short game is by no means lousy but id rather leave a full shot to the green rather than a 70 yard half shot. better to risk missing GIR than intentionally giving it up in my book. Id tend to be more tactical on the teebox, if a 3i gets me within reach, ill hit it.

Thats because you are Billy Big Balls and drive the ball further than I can see:eek: :)

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
that par 3 was the only 1 i blanked there last time. took a 52 wedge and put it in the front bunker. couldnt hold the green coming out it and didnt get up and down. :angry: sir was not impressed! :rofl:

Yep the 15th sure can be a card wrecker at times:confused:

If you fancy another shot at it give me a shout and we will get a game sorted, I really must get a knock at Foyle soon as havent played it in 2 years and only live 2 mins away:eek:

Davey S2

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 off the whites and 2 off the yellows at my club.

SI 1, 2 and 3 though and all are long par 4's.

The SI 3 hole I can hit in 2 off the yellows but generally not off the whites.

The other 2 have steep uphill sections to the green so its very hard to run one on (especially given how soft the fairways are this 'summer')

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
All 18 are within range.

Would be cheesed off if they weren't. I can't play to my handicap as it is, with out making it harder.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I struggle to reach our stroke index 1, par 4 in regulation. It's 442 yards (up hill) off the yellows and 459 yards off the whites. Usually it plays into the wind and the first part of the fairway slopes from right to left so I often end up with a shot from the left rough.
I've managed it regulation once after a well struck 5 wood crept on the front. I normally lay up with my second shot to make sure I can pitch from the fairway for my third.

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have reached all of our greens in regulation, but one of them our 7th I have only hit once. It's a 465 yd par 4 and it's usually into the wind. I have yet to reach 2 of our 3 par 5's in two but I have been very close on one of them.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep the 15th sure can be a card wrecker at times:confused:

If you fancy another shot at it give me a shout and we will get a game sorted, I really must get a knock at Foyle soon as havent played it in 2 years and only live 2 mins away:eek:

no sweat. im up there most days at the minute.the greens are in the best nick they have ever been in this year. im off to liverpool as soon as i can get a job though :(