How many holes on your course can you not reach in reg ?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In normal conditions (no big wind for or against and with an average amount of roll). Sensible, achievable shots, no drivers off the fairway.

For me it's 1 off the yellows (No 10, 449 yds par 4) and 2 off the whites (as above plus No 16, 428yds par 4).

The second might look a bit weak on my part, but off the whites my driver length is into a significantly uphill bit of fairway. Then it's a green cut into a shelf 30 yds above the fairway. which is hard enough to hit with a 7 iron and is not available as a chase it up option.

So I'm always a couple down on par before I start !

The first might be on if I could regularly nail a 3 wood, but the rest of the course doesn't really suit a 3 wood either off the tee or from the fairway. So not really worth using what is already pretty limited practice time required to master it.

Must be great to think you can reach them all, but I'm curious what the highest number of can't reaches is.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
depending on how good a drive i get there are 3 id say are out of reach comfortably. if i cant hit a comfortable iron into them then i just lay up. you are wrong to suggest that you are over par before you start. whats to stop you getting up and down from 30,40 or 50 yards. get it within 15 feet for a chance to make par and near certain bogey!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
My course is relatively short and there are no holes I can't reach in regulation.

There are two short par 5s which I play as par 4s - have reached both of them with a (good) drive and a wedge in the past although that's exceptional.

The second is a short par 4 which is driveable although I haven't reached it this year with the soft conditions.

If I played your course I probably wouldn't reach the 449 yard par 4. 428 yards I should be able to reach with a couple of good hits but sounds like I'd have the same issues as you with the hill.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a handicap golfer we should frequently asses whether or not to go for a long par 4 in regulation. For us it is sometimes easier to take a shorter club off the tee, hit mid iron or short iron up the fairway to a safe spot and then pitch on. We have a shot so therefore on these difficult holes we should look to use them. The advice is of course to plan the hole in reverse before you start your round.

Additionally if a par 4 has a peculiar green or a green that is difficult to hold it might again be prudent to lay up and pitch on with a more lofted club than hack out the thick stuff or flirt with OB/Water off the back.

When handicap golfers plot their way around like this then scores can drop dramatically! I started doing it on three of the par 4s at my old club and my scores dropped from 7s and 8s (finding OB water or trees off the tee) to consistent 5s and the odd 4! One hole had a difficult drive and a long carry second shot over a bunker. It was much simpler to hit 4 iron, 7 iron, PW than try driver and a 4 iron!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
you are wrong to suggest that you are over par before you start.

garyinderry said:
it within 15 feet for a chance to make par and near certain bogey!

43.gif
I'm confused ;)

My answer is none but it rarely works ou like that :( :(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In pure distance, there are only 2 or 3 that are not reachable, given a decent drive.

But the danger, either for the Drive or around the green is such that I generally play about 5 in 'bogie' fashion - hoping to make Par with my pitch/chip.

At another course I play regularly, there are 4 I play that way.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Luckily none of them. The only one that's a bit of a pain is the 16th off the whites, which is a 234 yard par 3 but that's because I don't have a club between driver and 4 iron. If I go shopping I can sort that issue.

Now, if only I could actually hit them....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
43.gif
I'm confused ;)

My answer is none but it rarely works ou like that :( :(

on a hard par 4. lay up. then wedge it as close as you can. if its inside 15 feet you have a realistic chance of holeing it. if not, a two putt should be the next best thing.

sub the word and for or! ;)

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have hit every green in regulation at my course at some point. My trouble is i do tend to try and hit a green from way back when really i should be laying up and making an easy bogey rather than taking on a 10-20% shot and getting myself in bother. Ive started recently trying to play more sensible and not take as many stupid risks and it is starting to pay off.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if im playing a shot in from further than 180 yards with any danger about im more than likely to lay up. inside that then i will attack. i only go for long approaches when i know i can safely miss. this is the key to my course strategy and works well for me! know your strengths and weaknesses.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
In all honesty there isn't a hole on my course in normal conditions I can't reach in regulation. There is however one hole that in the winter everyone struggles with and its only 407yards long. That my sound odd, but the name of the hole gives away why, its our 6th hole and called Cardiac Hill.

In the winter with no run on the ball all uphill i've seen many good Cat 1 players going in here with driver and 3 wood then a chip and putt for par. All up hill all into the wind and you do feel like you've had a coronary after it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm fortunate that there aren't any holes I can't reach on a regular day, a couple need a good drive but most just an average knock will leave me in range provided I avoid the trees!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a daft thread! Don't think that there are many scratch golfers on here? So just look at your H/c and that tells you how many greens you can reach in regulation. Rather than what you wish you could reach.

Just play the shot thats needed, not the hollywood shot.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
I can reach all of ours but there are certainly a few that tend to be a struggle! The standout one is our SI1 10th - 458 yard par 4 with a slight dog leg right. It all depends on getting a decent drive away and finding the fairway, as anything too far right is either in the trees or blocked out by a large conifer and anything left leaves a longer approach from semi rough. There are also a couple of fairway bunkers which will catch any short approaches. I will go for it more often than not, and have reached it numerous times, but getting on in 2 is normally a real achievement in my eyes, as it's a narrow green.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What a daft thread! Don't think that there are many scratch golfers on here? So just look at your H/c and that tells you how many greens you can reach in regulation. Rather than what you wish you could reach.

Just play the shot thats needed, not the hollywood shot.

Mmm, a well thought out answer. So someone off 15 can only reach 3 greens?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can reach all of ours but there are certainly a few that tend to be a struggle! The standout one is our SI1 10th - 458 yard par 4 with a slight dog leg right. It all depends on getting a decent drive away and finding the fairway, as anything too far right is either in the trees or blocked out by a large conifer and anything left leaves a longer approach from semi rough. There are also a couple of fairway bunkers which will catch any short approaches. I will go for it more often than not, and have reached it numerous times, but getting on in 2 is normally a real achievement in my eyes, as it's a narrow green.

my question is it safe to fire at the green or is it guarded by water, bushes or OB? if not then id have a go. otherwise id think of a layup strategy!