Game Golf Digital Tracking System Review

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning All.

I have decided to post a review of the Game Golf Digital Tracking System which has recently launched in the UK over the last couple of weeks.

I am a gadget kind of guy and I like my stats so this device was right up my street!

IMG_5816.jpg

Packaging/Contents

I do really like the packaging and how the product is displayed. Inside the box you get:

• Game Golf Tracking Device
  • 18 Tags for Clubs
  • USB Cable
  • Protective Pouch

The 'Club Tags' are for the following clubs: Driver, 3W, H, 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, GW, SW, LW & P. You also get 4 spare 'Tags' (Star, Diamond, Triangle & Cirlce) which can be assigned or used for different things such as a 'Penalty Shot' when tagging.

Set Up

To set the device up you are directed to 'gameyourgame.com/start' which runs you through the set up.

First you are asked to create a 'Game Golf' Account.

Once you have created an account you are directed to the set up page. This involves downloading the 'Transfer Software' which is available for both Mac & Windows.

Then I had to put the 'Tags' in to the top of clubs.

IMG_5817.jpg

Once I had done that task I was ready to assign the tags to the clubs, so I was able to 'label' the tags with my actual clubs. Unfortunately with this the software doesn't have all the 'latest' clubs so I had to input my Driver & Irons manually which wasn't a major issue.

I then charged the device to 100% and it was all ready to use.

On The Course

So last night I managed to get up to the course after work and fit in 18 holes. I must say I didn't play my best golf, it was actually rather poor but I just wanted to see how I got on with the device, how accurate it was and what the end product was like.

IMG_5836.jpg

On the first tee, I pushed down the power button (which is located on the 'Game" logo), it then flashed a couple of White and Red lights whilst it connected and gained a GPS location. Once it was ready to go the Green light appeared.
I pulled out my Driver, had a few practice swings and I was ready to go. I tagged my driver to the device, it vibrated, beeped and vibrated again to let me know that it was ready. At this point you have 60 seconds to complete you shot.

Once you complete the round you just turn the device off.

Uploading Data/Interface

I completed my whole round uploaded the data to my MacBook Pro. You use the 'Transfer Software' and once that has completed the upload and sorted the data, everything is then done in your internet browser.

This round the device was 2 shots out, but that is because I forgot to tag my drive on the 7th and and my 2nd shot on the 9th. It's easy to see when you have forgotten to tag a shot because of the information it gives you. For example on the 7th, it had me down as a par 4 (when I knew I had a 5) and the fact it had my 1st shot as a 6 iron from the fair way. So all I had to do was select the hole and click 'add tee shot' from the GPS is knows where the tee box is and where your 2nd shot was taken from so it automatically adds it in. As for my 2nd shot on 9, it had my drive registered as 466 yards so it's 'oddities' like this that will help you recognise when you forgot to tag.

So lets have a look at the first hole:

I hit a decent drive down the first which ended up on the right hand side of the fairway, I walked down to my ball and my Skycaddie displayed I had 145 to the middle of the green. It's down hill so I pull out my 9 iron, again a few practice swings, tag and swing. I put that to the front right bunker. Same routine, SW, couple swings, tag and play my shot which I put on the green and about 10ft away. Putter out, practice putts, tag and putt. I missed the putt so I did it again and this time made the putt for a bogey 5.

Screen1.jpg

Above is how the system displays the information it has recorded. I really like how this is displayed and to be fair it was accurate.

Once I was happy that the score, fairways & GIRs were correct I signed for the card. It is then stored and your stats are updated.

Here is a link to my round, so you can see all the stats and how it is displayed.

http://www.gamegolf.com/round/20513

Browser Software

In this part I am going to give an overview of the Dashboard/Profile pages available in your browser.

Dashboard.jpg

The Dashboard gives you a general overview, a few stats, a timeline of your activity and a Pro Spotlight.

Profile.jpg

You Profile is where you will find a lot more stats/figures. Here you find the following:

• Average Score
  • Fairway Accuracy
  • GIRs
  • Putts Per Hole
  • Scrambling %
  • Average Club Distances
  • Your List of Rounds
  • Activity Timeline

I'm really looking forward to gathering more data to see a better representation of my club yardages. At the moment I used my Driver on 8 or 9 occasions last night and I currently have an Average Driving Distance of 261 Yards which ranges from a downwide drive of 304 Yards to a horror sliced 210 Yard drive.

Everything is presented really well and clearly, I haven't had an issue with wondering where something is or how to do something as it is really simple to navigate around the website.

They also have an iPhone/iPad app which I will go through now.

iPhone/iPad App

The App is a really nice addition as it allows you have all the information available to you where ever you are, it offers all the features of the web based app and it's displayed very well to.

I am going to show you a few screens from the iPhone App below:

IMG_5844.jpg

The Dashboard is similar to web based app showing you a few stats and a general overview.

IMG_5845.jpg

The My Rounds will load up on the 'Maps' and show you as 'Pins' your rounds. Select the round and it will provide you with the next screen:

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

Here you can see the score card and stats. Club Performance gives you a look at your club yardages.

IMG_5848.jpg

Conclusion

I have only used the device once and I am already looking forward to using more and more over the summer. The more data it collects, the better the device becomes with providing you with accurate and interesting stats.

It's an easy product to use, you just have to remember to tag before you swing, or even after you swing for the device to work.

As far as I can see it can be used in practice and competition rounds (which can't be said for any app which would track this kind of data) as this device doesn't aid you in any way whilst playing in a competition.

One thing that may let it down is the 'signing' for you round and the fact that if you aren't someone who is happy to take time to go through your round to make sure it's correct then this product isn't for you. However I really like being able to go through the round and seeing the stats in detail to make sure they are correct.

The £200 is rather steep, but I really like the product. There isn't anything I can say about that would make me not want to use it.

If you like stats, gadgets and interested to see your stats/round visually then this is a product for you.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Great review, I love this kind of thing. I have apps on my phone which I can't use during competitions to record club distance etc , this seems ideal. Expensive though!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
So after the initial setup the only thing you do during a round is touch the club sensor to the unit as each shot is hit and assuming you've done that for each and every shot then there isn't anything to it apart from 'signing' your card on the computer later.

I like this idea a lot but £200 is a lot for me to commit, I might also be a little concerned about a sensor breaking after being dropped into the bag.

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
Great review, I love this kind of thing. I have apps on my phone which I can't use during competitions to record club distance etc , this seems ideal. Expensive though!

That is one of the big positives that this product has being a stand alone product that doesn't require anything on the course that could 'aid' you or your game to mean it can't be used in a competition.

So after the initial setup the only thing you do during a round is touch the club sensor to the unit as each shot is hit and assuming you've done that for each and every shot then there isn't anything to it apart from 'signing' your card on the computer later.

I like this idea a lot but £200 is a lot for me to commit, I might also be a little concerned about a sensor breaking after being dropped into the bag.

Correct, once you have completed the initial set up all you need to do is keep the unit charged, turn it on then tag each club before or after each shot during your round. Everything else is then done by the transfer software when you upload the data and sign for the round.

I am very impressed with the build quality of the sensor, there aren't lots of parts to it so if you put in the protective pouch when putting it back in your bag I can't see it 'breaking'.

I was lucky that I managed to get mine for £110 from a forum member here, which I feel is a much more reasonable price point.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the review, saw it at the Manchester golf show yesterday and was impressed how much info it gave you.
Personally the amount of info and what it can do, 200 doesn't sound ott to me considering you buy Drivers and putters for that price.

Tell me any other software that can track how far you hit your clubs legally and during comps?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great review, have been looking at the Game device for a long time! think its a b'day list for me due to the price, but would be happy to pay £200 if i had a spare £200 if you know what i mean!

Looking forward to an update in a month or 2??!

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the review, saw it at the Manchester golf show yesterday and was impressed how much info it gave you.
Personally the amount of info and what it can do, 200 doesn't sound ott to me considering you buy Drivers and putters for that price.

Tell me any other software that can track how far you hit your clubs legally and during comps?

£200 isn't OTT for what the product because the device, tags, software & the data it provides you is excellent. It's just a price point that for something that is a 'luxury' when it comes to golf is just out of reach for someone to go and get it. It's definitely something that you either save for a while or put on the birthday/xmas list.

As for any other software that can track how far you hit your clubs that is legal to use in competitions, there simply isn't. As software requires a device like an iPhone, the beauty of this is the device is the only thing you need on course and it doesn't offer a player any aid. The beauty of the product is used after the game.

Great review, have been looking at the Game device for a long time! think its a b'day list for me due to the price, but would be happy to pay £200 if i had a spare £200 if you know what i mean!

Looking forward to an update in a month or 2??!

I will definitely keep everyone up to date in a month or 2 once I have gathered more information/data.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw this reviewed a while back in the mags and it interested me, after seeing it demoed at the manchester golf show its top of my wants list, an impressive bit of kit imo.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was actually me who snapped it up off the guy on the forum here for £110 :D

How are you getting on with Game Golf. I'm toing and froing about getting it, but I got birthday money today which could help, but also looking at launch sensor device as well, or a Giannini putter, can't make my flamin mind up.

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
Great review! Mine is getting its début tomorrow morning.

Let us know how you got on with it :)

How are you getting on with Game Golf. I'm toing and froing about getting it, but I got birthday money today which could help, but also looking at launch sensor device as well, or a Giannini putter, can't make my flamin mind up.

Played a Texas Scramble this weekend so I couldn't take it out for it's 2nd outting which I am hoping to do next weekend!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Scazza, played terribly and just sat here now reliving the horror of some of my play! That said the whole tagging thing came very naturally and it's really easy to edit a round having finished so I think this has a decent amount of mileage in it!

It'd be good to have more people to 'follow' as this thing gets more popular! Happy to do so with any of the GM lot!

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
Scazza, played terribly and just sat here now reliving the horror of some of my play! That said the whole tagging thing came very naturally and it's really easy to edit a round having finished so I think this has a decent amount of mileage in it!

It'd be good to have more people to 'follow' as this thing gets more popular! Happy to do so with any of the GM lot!

Haha, I played terrible with my 1st round using the device (nearly double my handicap) but as you said, I found it very easy going through the card and amending any small errors.

Again, the tagging really is something that clicks almost immediately. Yes I did forget to tag one of my drives but the software makes it easy to add it in.

My 'Username' is Scazza so add me, would be good to start getting a 'friends' list together.