Would you join a club that did not have a dress code?

Would you join a club that didn’t have a dress code?

• Yes

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

D-S

Visit site
Would you join a club that didn’t have a dress code but rather allowed members and visitors to wear what they considered appropriate for the course and clubhouse?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As GM used my last missive on this subject I'll repeat it..
As long as your bits and pieces are covered up I couldn't care less what you cover them up with...

Springveldt

Visit site
I would prefer a recognised dress code on and off the course but if was a decent layout and kept in good condition and the clubhouse had a good vibe I could live without one
Horses for courses I guess. I'd actually go the other way and I wouldn't like to be a member of a club that forces you to wear a coat and tie in the clubhouse etc.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Would you join a club that didn’t have a dress code but rather allowed members and visitors to wear what they considered appropriate for the course and clubhouse?
The problem here is what different people think is appropriate for the course and club house. If the course and clubhouse are very good, the chances are the majority would be following a "sensible" dress code subconsciously anyway so unlikely there would be an issue.

If you'd phrased the question that there would definitely be people playing the course and sitting around in tracksuit bottoms and string vests then chances are I wouldnt be joining. But equally I have as much an issue with unnessecary foul language and smoking in the clubhouse/around the course as I do with poor dress code.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I almost certainly would…though I think that I’d have a look at how it works in practice as I wouldn’t want to be irritated by stupid, inappropriate or provocative wear…some tee shirts can have what I might consider unacceptable messages or images.

And football shirts being allowed…now that could be fun.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, genuinely could not care less. I've seen people in clubhouses in flip flops, on courses in basketball shorts and a running t-shirt. None of them impacted me or anyone else there. What matters is how people behave, not what they wear.
I got told off by a member of staff at our place for wearing my cap in the clubhouse. I hadn't even realised I still had it on, and had no idea it wasn't allowed o_O

Skytot

Visit site
How long is this going to go on for? Are we going to have threads popping up called:

Would you join a golf club if they had:
A fruit machine in the clubhouse
Pink toilet paper
A policy banning shorts on the course
etc
Lots of people replying to the thread so must have some interest to people

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'd be introducing elocution and grammar tests.

Incorrect and frivolous use of the words, "literally" and "random" and you're out!!😁😁

White vans.. out.

People who mention veganism or pronouns in the first 45 seconds of introduction, out!

Watchers of reality tv or karaoke participants, out!

Ps. Read my autosignature.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
How long is this going to go on for? Are we going to have threads popping up called:

Would you join a golf club if they had:
A fruit machine in the clubhouse - No problem
Pink toilet paper - No problem
A policy banning shorts on the course - Oh dear! Problem!
etc
Hope that answers it for you ;)

RichA

Visit site
Voted No, there has to be some sort of Dress Code to cover the Course, even if it just covers Footwear.
I've worn sandals or waterproof walking boots before, when they were most appropriate for the weather. It wasn't a problem.
Playing golf in sandals, athletic shorts and a breathable t-shirt in extreme heat feels liberating.
I don't think anyone who has ever worn jeans to play golf would repeat it, purely for restriction of movement and being uncomfortable when hot or wet.