• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Would you blacklist a club based on its rules

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry ? But what was I intending ?

It’s been an interesting thread seeing the differing ideas and opinion on what stops them playing at a club.

Was the poll supposed to go in any particular direction ?
You were probably expecting less people to vote yes though, I'd imagine? Not that this is a bad thing, it's nice to have one's eyes opened every now and again.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if it was a breezy, cool autumnal morning you'd play it in long trousers? I agree that long socks with shorts in 30* is a bit silly but I'd give it a go on a cool day in long trousers.

Yes, sorry, should have said if it was a trouser kind of day I would play but during the summer I wouldn't wear long socks.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think one thing for me is that there are very few absolutes and quite a few minor quibbles.
I would certainly obey all those rules and quite a few more if the opportunity was to play Augusta or other such courses. An ordinary reasonable course that has a virtually identical course next to it may lose my custom if it 's dress code is one that I find even mildly onerous.
Some rules are mildly irritating but can't think of many that for me are ethical deal breakers that would stop me playing a course.

Agree with you, very few things would stop me playing a course.

I would turn down the chance to play Augusta(not that it will ever happen:LOL:), if they had a policy of requiring a caddy for instance. Tried it once, not for me, didn't enjoy it, wasted a lot of time and money, decided I would be happier just playing another course without the caddy in future.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I would turn down the chance to play Augusta(not that it will ever happen:LOL:), if they had a policy of requiring a caddy for instance. Tried it once, not for me, didn't enjoy it, wasted a lot of time and money, decided I would be happier just playing another course without the caddy in future.
Interesting, I've never played with a caddie , it's something I'd like to try some time, a friend who played the Old Course a couple of times said it was great there as the lines were not obvious.
Can see why you wouldn't if you didn't like the experience though , no point in paying money for a feeling that someone is being unhlepfull, oppressive or whatever, it would certainly take away from the enjoyment.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Seriously? You'd turn down Augusta if you had to have a caddie?
I had to have one for Fancourt Links, he wasn't much use other than carrying my bag but it was no big deal and it's a requirement of the course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Seriously? You'd turn down Augusta if you had to have a caddie?
I had to have one for Fancourt Links, he wasn't much use other than carrying my bag but it was no big deal and it's a requirement of the course.

As posted before, what is the point in playing a course that you are not going to enjoy or be happy whilst playing and wasting your time/money doing it. It is a line I am not willing to cross again, a no goer, a no point in going there and so on :) as I may as well just use my time and play another course, that doesn't require me to have a caddy (no offence to caddies meant, just a reflection on me)

Luckily I don't need or want to play any golf course enough, to feel I need to comply to such a rule and I am not going to and would rather walk out of the club than play ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

As posted before, what is the point in playing a course that you are not going to enjoy or be happy whilst playing and wasting your time/money doing it. It is a line I am not willing to cross again, a no goer, a no point in going there and so on :) as I may as well just use my time and play another course, that doesn't require me to have a caddy (no offence to caddies meant, just a reflection on me)

Luckily I don't need or want to play any golf course enough, to feel I need to comply to such a rule and I am not going to and would rather walk out of the club than play ;)

Darren is it ok to ask what you didn’t like about having a caddy with you ? Was it just a one time thing and he was poor ?

D

Deleted member 15344

You were probably expecting less people to vote yes though, I'd imagine? Not that this is a bad thing, it's nice to have one's eyes opened every now and again.
I wasn’t expecting anything at all - i thought it would be an interesting thread that would cause a good debate about what things people like and don’t , and on the whole it has been - it’s a shame the usual suspects added nothing but to antagonise

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd like to play with a proper caddy. I think it could be quite interesting.
I'd probably find it too embarrassing. Firstly having someone else carry my clubs for me just seems opulent, and secondly, when he gives me a lovely precise yardage of 157 or something, and I thank him politely before promptly duffing it 30 yards right. Ground swallow me up! :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd probably find it too embarrassing. Firstly having someone else carry my clubs for me just seems opulent, and secondly, when he gives me a lovely precise yardage of 157 or something, and I thank him politely before promptly duffing it 30 yards right. Ground swallow me up! :LOL:
But an experienced caddy will have seen it all before and to be honest a lot of good ones will tune into your actual level of ability (and not what you think it is in your head) very quickly and then be able to club and direct you far better.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I wouldn't play if I thought the rules meant that I felt I would be watched and appraised all the time. I play golf for the enjoyment of the game, and not to be reviewed/criticised by someone who doesn't know me or anything about me.

I went to book a game at one golf club in the UK whilst on holiday. I went into the pro shop in my T-Shirt and shorts and said I would like to play and was a member of the James Braid society. The Pro looked me up and down and said OK but I need to bring in proof of handicap and membership. I wasn't too worried by this but my other half, who also caught his look piped up with "Perhaps he'd like you to bring in proof that your this years Captain as well!" in a rather scathing tone. At this point his demeanour totally changed and said "Oh no, that fine, it won't be a problem". He was judging me on what I was wearing and didn't ask anything about me.
When I look to play at a course, I look first at the course design, then the price and then the dress code rule. As long as I don't consider it too draconian or ridiculous then I'll dress accordingly.

I always dress in standard golf attire and ensure that I bring what I consider to be acceptable clothes for wearing both inside the club and on the course. Our dress code is much more relaxed than it was 10 years ago as we understand that fashions change. Clubs that still enforce old style rules are either way behind the times or don't really need visiting golfers so can enforce whatever rules they choose. It's still a very old-fashioned view though which does golf absolutely no favours at all.

I have avoided courses that have a compulsory caddie rule as I tried it once and didn't really enjoy it. I prefer to take my time and make my own decisions. In some countries, it is an income that some of the caddies otherwise wouldn't have so I can understand it to a degree but not really my thing.

I also have a personal aversion to playing any Donald Trump courses just as a matter of personal principle.

D

Deleted Member 1156

OK, so you get invited to make up a 4ball with Woods, Mcilroy and Rose at Augusta the only proviso is you have to pay £50 for a caddie. You'd still turn it down?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But an experienced caddy will have seen it all before and to be honest a lot of good ones will tune into your actual level of ability (and not what you think it is in your head) very quickly and then be able to club and direct you far better.
How do you 'tune' in to someone duffing it and slicing it out of bounds?? "Right the line here is 50 yards to the left..." :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How do you 'tune' in to someone duffing it and slicing it out of bounds?? "Right the line here is 50 yards to the left..." :ROFLMAO:
In your case normally when you find the bag aside the next tee box and the caddy heading back to the clubhouse.

Having used a few caddies over the years, I have found that the good ones will see your standard shot (eg fade/slice) and definitely take that into account. Of course some swings can't be helped and we've all had days where you slice, top, thin and generally chop it round. Then the good ones simply keep up and shut up