Would Club rules stop you from playing the club

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Would you blacklist a club based on its rules

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Played with a caddy a number of times and each time they were superb , especially at St Andrews - their skill was excellent as were the stories , they added to the experience, had one in Cyprus but he pretty much just drove the buggy.

A caddy can do as little or as much as you want - you can have them just carry the flag and doing the flag etc or can have them read your lines etc - a decent caddy will know exactly all the breaks and were to hit the ball etc

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Played with a caddy a number of times and each time they were superb , especially at St Andrews - their skill was excellent as were the stories , they added to the experience, had one in Cyprus but he pretty much just drove the buggy.

A caddy can do as little or as much as you want - you can have them just carry the flag and doing the flag etc or can have them read your lines etc - a decent caddy will know exactly all the breaks and were to hit the ball etc

I’d want one to chip for me!

Wolf

Visit site
Fair enough but personally I'd be inclined to listen to someone who knows the course like the back of their hand.
If that's how you enjoy it fair play don't blame you. My preference is to walk the course myself learning it for myself, if I score well cool if not as long as I've enjoyed the day and surroundings that's all that matters and my experience of playing with a Caddy detracted from my enjoyment so wouldn't bother again

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If that's how you enjoy it fair play don't blame you. My preference is to walk the course myself learning it for myself, if I score well cool if not as long as I've enjoyed the day and surroundings that's all that matters and my experience of playing with a Caddy detracted from my enjoyment so wouldn't bother again
I see your point but there are some places where I'd prefer some local knowledge. St Andrews really had the whole experienced enhanced by the caddies we had and aside from their stories their help, especially off the tees made it far easier to get round and put a respectable score together. I knew I wouldn't be playing it again and so anything I learned walking it myself wouldn't serve me any purpose. As a rule though, when I play new courses (Addington for example) I'm with you and want to walk them and try to work my way round

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've only played with an american couple who had a caddie.

He gave them both every read on the green. The woman wasnt great so helped her at least try to enjoy her round. The fella was half decent and I felt it was taking some of the challenge of golf out of it for him. He was giving him reads on 6foot putts.

Useful if you have a long putt and there is a fair bit of break. Useful for the odd line off the tee or into the green if there is hidden danger.

On the whole a caddy would not be for me. I enjoy trying to work out where I want to put the ball off the tee and then my approach. Shot game stuff is all there in front of me so I can work that out myself.

Sure the odd story would be nice and what not but on the whole I'd swerve a caddy I'm afraid.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May seem odd but I would prefer a golf historian following round at Andrews than a caddy. I am not a great follower of golf so someone joining the group and telling me about that on the way round would be great. Take away the club carrying and help with my game and I would be happy

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have had caddies in Argentina, and on the whole they were brilliant. Know when to shut up, happy to leave me alone if that is what I wanted, almost impossible to lose a ball. One of them was a plus 1 h/cap, and was a laugh to be with, despite zero English.

Have also done the same in South Africa. Caddy was often useless, but who cares? They were a laugh, carried the bag, earned some cash for their familly, what ever. Part of the experience. Wouldn't do it any differently.

They have seen every level of golf. If you feel they ard judging you, if you feel uncomfortable, this is way more on you than it is on them.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Another thread where it's obvious that opinions differ and people want/like different things.

If you don't want a caddy that is a choice that the individual makes not sure why it warrants responses trying to change that person's mind.

Just remember to tip your caddy handsomely. None of this £10 rubbish!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t play at a course with silly rules. I will never be forced to be buy socks again in a shop, I’ll always do my homework and I’ll cut my nose off to spite my face whatever the course. That’ll make me happier than playing a round spoiled by BS.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Another thread where it's obvious that opinions differ and people want/like different things.

If you don't want a caddy that is a choice that the individual makes not sure why it warrants responses trying to change that person's mind.

Just remember to tip your caddy handsomely. None of this £10 rubbish!

:eek: Whhhhaaaat

That's more than the cost of a caddy!