Would Club rules stop you from playing the club

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Would you blacklist a club based on its rules

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 1156

Depends which one I have to partner; after all two of them are washed-up has-beens according to some on here. ;)
If you played the way you did last time you beat me then I think all 3 of them would be running scared 😂

D

Deleted member 21258

Darren is it ok to ask what you didn’t like about having a caddy with you ? Was it just a one time thing and he was poor ?

Only once. Definitely a bit of what orikoru above said, wife really didn't like it for those reasons and I don't like to see the wife feel like that. It was quite funny as the guy would say hit the putt over this line and the wife would miss the line by a foot or more.

For me, I don't like someone reading my putts, telling me lines off the tee, telling me what club to use and most importantly I didn't like the change in dynamics of the group that happened when a stranger/caddy was placed with us. Just didn't relax and enjoy the experience and on a number of occasions was wondering why I was there and all the other feelings that roll on from that. All the other rounds that week, were great as a 4 ball.

Sadly that covers almost all the stuff that a caddy does, it just doesn't work for me or the wife tbh.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Only once. Definitely a bit of what orikoru above said, wife really didn't like it for those reasons and I don't like to see the wife feel like that. It was quite funny as the guy would say hit the putt over this line and the wife would miss the line by a foot or more.

For me, I don't like someone reading my putts, telling me lines off the tee, telling me what club to use and most importantly I didn't like the change in dynamics of the group that happened when a stranger/caddy was placed with us. Just didn't relax and enjoy the experience and on a number of occasions was wondering why I was there and all the other feelings that roll on from that. All the other rounds that week, were great as a 4 ball.

Sadly that covers almost all the stuff that a caddy does, it just doesn't work for me or the wife tbh.
You do realise you can tell them to just shut up and carry the bag?

D

Deleted member 21258

OK, so you get invited to make up a 4ball with Woods, Mcilroy and Rose at Augusta the only proviso is you have to pay £50 for a caddie. You'd still turn it down?

Your funny:LOL:

Do you want me to put in a good word for you, when my invite arrives and I refuse it :LOL::LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can understand that. Some of us just want to have a laugh while we're slapping our golf ball around, if I had a caddy I think it would all feel a bit too serious. I'd feel like I was letting him down if I didn't execute what he said. :LOL:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been lucky enough to have had a caddy a few times, believe me they have seen it all and for the most part want to make you enjoy the round more. i'm a chomper but have found that they pretty quickly work you out and give you the right club/line consistent with your ability, I also think that they make the round far more enjoyable (on courses that I am not too familiar with).

Its not something I would have at my home club but if I am paying good money to play a quality course the little bit extra for an experienced caddy is well worth it IMO.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d love the opportunity to have a caddie experience. Mainly because I can’t read putts, often struggle to decide on the best shot etc

May have a go with the tour caddie ex, that BIM linked, next year.

Wolf

Visit site
You do realise you can tell them to just shut up and carry the bag?
Which is what I ended up doing when I had one, problem was that then felt like a massive waste of money for someone to carry my bag when I'd have been happy to do that myself and save the 50quid the Caddy cost and spent that on a couple rounds in the bar.

Everyone is different I guess but for me a Caddy is pointless to my enjoyment of the game.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having had a caddie twice I'm surprised at some of the responses as both of mine only added to the experience, but those that have done it can only speak as they found. It might be different that in both my instances I was in a made up 4 so it wasn't like talking to the caddie deprived me of interaction with my usual mates. It may be that there has to be a certain change of mindset to get the best out of the caddie experience.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which is what I ended up doing when I had one, problem was that then felt like a massive waste of money for someone to carry my bag when I'd have been happy to do that myself and save the 50quid the Caddy cost and spent that on a couple rounds in the bar.

Everyone is different I guess but for me a Caddy is pointless to my enjoyment of the game.
a Caddy is pointless to my enjoyment of the game.

That's unfortunate, my limited experience has been the exact opposite, the caddy has really enhanced the experience for me, maybe I have just been lucky with the caddies I have been given.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That's unfortunate, my limited experience has been the exact opposite, the caddy has really enhanced the experience for me, maybe I have just been lucky with the caddies I have been given.
My 1 and only time I thought it enhanced the experience too. A world top 100 course, walking down the fairways soaking up the surroundings. Made me feel like a tour pro 👍

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the points made about a caddie. Not so much the golfing side of things (though that is a slight issue), but I just feel uncomfortable having people do things for me that I can do myself. I have been offered a butler at hotels before and declined for similar reasons. Just would not feel comfortable having someone carrying my bag etc. I see what people mean about asking the caddie just to carry the clubs and not offer advice etc and not making them part of the group dynamic but that would also make me feel uncomfortable, effectively ignoring a person who is going to be with you for several hours. Just not for me I am afraid.

D

Deleted member 1418

I'd like to play with a proper caddy. I think it could be quite interesting.

Couldn't agree more - would love it. In our 3 ball on the Old Course one of our PPs had one and he helped us all out at times, but would definitely get one for myself the next time I go.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Depends on the quality of course and how highly regarded it is.

If it's a bang average course and the rules that I must abide by are of any inconvenience to me then I won't bother.

If however it's a highly regarded course that I really want to play I won't cut my nose off to spite my face.

Even if four balls only that's not a deal breaker as I have plenty of golf buds that would be up for a knock.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re the caddie, last time I played St Andrews my Dad and I shared a caddie, carried our own bags, he gave us advice on lines, clubbing, where you could miss, reads on greens etc as well as telling a few stories. He was utterly brilliant and massively improved the occasion for us both, off some tees the line he was advising could be 50 yards different for us! Its not something I would want on every round but was excellent on a one off on a course there is so much "local knowledge" on

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I agree with the points made about a caddie. Not so much the golfing side of things (though that is a slight issue), but I just feel uncomfortable having people do things for me that I can do myself. I have been offered a butler at hotels before and declined for similar reasons. Just would not feel comfortable having someone carrying my bag etc. I see what people mean about asking the caddie just to carry the clubs and not offer advice etc and not making them part of the group dynamic but that would also make me feel uncomfortable, effectively ignoring a person who is going to be with you for several hours. Just not for me I am afraid.

But isn't the point that they are doing stuff that you can't do for yourself; read lines, accurately gauge distances & club you, advise on tactics.

I get the butler bit & I'm inclined to agree with that, but see the caddie aspect totally differently.