• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Would you blacklist a club based on its rules

• Total voters

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hence why it wasn’t about “joining” a club more about going to play a course

For example RSG only allow long socks if wearing shorts - now would someone say “nope I’m not playing there because of that rule “
I'd miss read that so will delete post earlier...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The obvious one about inclusive memberships already said a few times & I cant see me ever putting on a J&T for lunch post round but other minor aspects of a dress-code I'd probably roll with even if I privately disagreed

I may be in for a shock when I look to play/join a club in the UK again after the informal approach used by clubs here (there's still rules etc but very much they're more 21st century)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from Craws comments about putting some clubs on his blacklist because of their rule on long socks - how many people would also put a golf club on their blacklist based on the clubs rules - dress code , foursomes only etc ( try and not include the cost )
Do you really mean foursomes as opposed to playing in groups of four?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I could get on board for the novelty factor and feeling like a prize loon wearing long socks for a game of golf. Only if I was visiting as a one off and it was an overcast day.

Certainly wouldn't join a club that insisted on wearing such silly attire.

I love getting the legs out to golf in all weathers.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I want to play a course then I'm happy to play by their rules. At the end of the day chances are I might only play their once so for the sake of it I'm happy too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any club that had stupid rules about what socks you can wear - I wouldn't bother going. If I was at a club and they told me to tuck my shirt in - I probably wouldn't go back there again. If a club said you had to wear a jacket to eat there, I certainly wouldn't bother going, if I planned to eat anyway. These sort of things are surefire signs that they're not the kind of club I would have any interest in. It would make me think: 'pompous place stuck in the past' so I'd give it a wide berth.

On a sidenote, for those people saying they wouldn't play a club if it was sexist - while I don't disagree with that obviously, how the hell would you know before you'd ever been there? Is there an aura of sexism you can sense immediately? :D I suppose if we're talking about joining a club you could ask the right questions to determine it, but if we're just on about playing there you wouldn't have a clue would you?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its interesting that there is so little support for long socks when I can recall at least a couple of forum meets where loudmouth/royal and awesome trousers were de riguer, shorts and long socks would have looked very tame on those occasions :D

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I'm actually not aware of any course that insists on foursomes. It is usually foursomes OR 2 balls.

This is the first I've heard about this "foursomes" thing ( returned to golf last year).
Is it that some courses require four people playing together to not play a ball each, but only two balls between them.?
As someone said, that could be construed as half a game.

If you arrived as a group of four to play a course and found this to be the case, what's to stop the group splitting into two X two balls, I ask myself.?
Would it be that if the group of four did that, it would be more expensive, perhaps.?
I must say it seems pettiness on the part of the club. I suppose it's used as an argument to speed up play , but it seems a punitive solution.

D

Deleted member 1147

I said yes, not because of dress codes (I just find out what they are and adhere to them) but because of the 2 ball rule.
If I went as part of a group I wouldn’t want to only play 2 balls as I’d feel I wasn’t getting my monies worth.
There could also be other rules which I might balk at (which may affect my enjoyment). They just haven’t occurred yet.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the first I've heard about this "foursomes" thing ( returned to golf last year).
Is it that some courses require four people playing together to not play a ball each, but only two balls between them.?
As someone said, that could be construed as half a game.

If you arrived as a group of four to play a course and found this to be the case, what's to stop the group splitting into two X two balls, I ask myself.?
Would it be that if the group of four did that, it would be more expensive, perhaps.?
I must say it seems pettiness on the part of the club. I suppose it's used as an argument to speed up play , but it seems a punitive solution.

Hunstanton is 4somes or singles only at some times for sure and have heard of a few others. Basically they wouldnt let you book a group of 4 without telling you it would be 4somes.

It is very much a pace of play argument, the membership seem happy enough with it and it certainly works

Edit: from Hunstantons site. Id happily play (and have done :) ) wouldnt be a member there though

Green Fees
While predominantly a two-ball course for singles and foursomes play, four-balls may be played throughout the year on Tuesdays from 9.00am and after 1pm on Sundays in the summertime.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a rule per say but I wouldn’t join a club again without a decent online booking system

Never forget wanting to play a Saturday morning when a member and had to call up 10 days before when they opened the Saturday booking and wait 20 mins for the pro shop number to be free because everyone would call in

Ended up being good mates with the pro so would just txt him the night before and ask could you put that in for me so I don’t have to call up

D

Deleted member 15344

Hunstanton is 4somes or singles only at some times for sure and have heard of a few others. Basically they wouldnt let you book a group of 4 without telling you it would be 4somes.

It is very much a pace of play argument, the membership seem happy enough with it and it certainly works

Edit: from Hunstantons site. Id happily play (and have done :) ) wouldnt be a member there though

Green Fees
While predominantly a two-ball course for singles and foursomes play, four-balls may be played throughout the year on Tuesdays from 9.00am and after 1pm on Sundays in the summertime.

A lot of links courses have the rule - Brancaster, Hunstanton ( unless you speak to secretary and can play in the afternoon ) , RSG ( apart from Tuesday’s ) , RCP ( apart from Monday’s ) Rye - it’s either 2 ball or foursomes

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not a rule per say but I wouldn’t join a club again without a decent online booking system

Never forget wanting to play a Saturday morning when a member and had to call up 10 days before when they opened the Saturday booking and wait 20 mins for the pro shop number to be free because everyone would call in

Ended up being good mates with the pro so would just txt him the night before and ask could you put that in for me so I don’t have to call up
Nice abuse of the system 😊

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice abuse of the system 😊

Nothing like the people who would call up and book 4 tee times every week and then only show up for 2 of them meaning others could have got in their place......

That’s fine of course but they just call up or show up the shop bang on opening to book because they don’t work and were able to do so..