Would Club rules stop you from playing the club

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Would you blacklist a club based on its rules

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 1156

Nothing like the people who would call up and book 4 tee times every week and then only show up for 2 of them meaning others could have got in their place......

That’s fine of course but they just call up or show up the shop bang on opening to book because they don’t work and were able to do so..
My previous club had no tee booking system, it worked better than the online system my current club uses.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Interesting thread. I fully understand people not joining a club because of certain rules but find it slightly strange they would boycott them as a visitor.
I've played loads of 2ball courses, had to wear J&T to go into the dining room etc. Doesn't bother me in the slightest when it's only for a day.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Hence why it wasn’t about “joining” a club more about going to play a course

For example RSG only allow long socks if wearing shorts - now would someone say “nope I’m not playing there because of that rule “
I've got a voucher for RSG, (present from the Wife), we are planning on playing in September due to the sock rule, and if more than one of my mates wants to join me we can only play on a Tuesday, which means either early start & late finish, or multiple days holiday - had she asked if I wanted to play there the answer would have been no based on those reasons.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interesting thread. I fully understand people not joining a club because of certain rules but find it slightly strange they would boycott them as a visitor.
I've played loads of 2ball courses, had to wear J&T to go into the dining room etc. Doesn't bother me in the slightest when it's only for a day.

Weirdly for me though its precisely because I'm a once-off visitor I'd be less likely to accept a J&T dining rule
While as a member I would have naturally accepted that code and be more readily able to accommodate that 'quirk' on a day to day ongoing basis

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weirdly for me though its precisely because I'm a once-off visitor I'd be less likely to accept a J&T dining rule
While as a member I would have naturally accepted that code and be more readily able to accommodate that 'quirk' on a day to day ongoing basis

I wouldn’t go for jacket and tie, unless they could lend me one

I don’t own a jacket

I don’t wear a suit for work so have no call for one.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
If they had antiquated rules on women membership, then yes;
Would probably respect any dress code rules but would complain about it (not to the club of course, just PPs!), so no
If I could afford to play and it represented value for money, I wouldn't boycott on the basis of what form of the game to play, so no

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
A jacket & tie rule wouldn't stop me playing somewhere as a visitor, I just wouldn't eat there and therefore wouldn't need to worry about a jacket & tie.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I would avoid a course with certain rules in place. I want to go out, play golf, relax and enjoy myself afterwards. If I felt I was under constant scrutiny for dress code infringements on the course, if I had to wear a jacket and tie in the clubhouse etc then I would not be fully relaxed. I wear a suit and tie all week, at the weekends I do all that I can to avoid having to put one on again.

There is also the image that such rules give to me (and I emphasise that this is me only not a generalisation). What appear to me to be over officious dress codes etc conjure up an image or a stuffy club where, again, I would not feel fully relaxed. As such, it would be a place to avoid. It could be the most friendly club going but that would not be the impression that I would get as an outsider.

Would also no be happy with limitations on group size or format. When I play with a certain group of mates, it is always better ball matchplay for a fiver and bits. If the club prohibited that format then we would not be interested in playing.

I may be different to some on here. Golf for me is all about the enjoyment and the company and I have little interest in playing the greatest courses in the land. I certainly would not pick the quality of the course over the fun, enjoyment, relaxation and company that may be offered by a 'lesser' club.

As mentioned before, I could not see myself being comfortable playing clubs that treated you differently based on gender.

As for it being narrow minded, total nonsense. If I am paying for a round of golf with mates then I have expectations of what I am going to get out of it. If the rules of the club mean that I feel that the experience may not be what I am looking for then I will look elsewhere. No big loss to me and certainly, I am sure, no big loss to the club in question. Also, my sister in law is a vegan and chooses to eat in restaurants that do not serve meat (generally because they serve better vegan food rather than just lobbing out the usual mushroom risotto. She is also not narrow minded).

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Depends on the course. If a Sunningdale or Swinley wanted me to knee length tartan socks, I'd ask "which blooming clan dude?"

Their club their rules. I've never not played somewhere cos of the dress code. That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face! In reality, I can't think of a single time it has been a (real) problem. E.g. I remember years back, Formby would not let women in the clubhouse. We had two in our party, SO all 40 of us adjourned to a local pub for dinner. They lost a lot of revenue that night. Their choice. (I assume that rule has gone)

If folk wish to boycott somewhere cos of dress, owner or anything, that's also their business. Other courses are available.

D

Deleted member 1147

The clothing rules don’t bother me at all.
The 2 ball rule wouldn’t bother me if I was only going to play as a pair.
But if 4 of us were going to play I would only go somewhere that we could play as a four ball

D

Deleted member 1147

So, if Rye offered your group 2 starting times, you'd decline? (OK, you might not know about Rye :) )
2 starting times may be ok, but not 1 tee time (OK, & I know about Rye🙂)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The clothing rules don’t bother me at all.
The 2 ball rule wouldn’t bother me if I was only going to play as a pair.
But if 4 of us were going to play I would only go somewhere that we could play as a four ball
I bought two, two balls to play West Sussex. We will follow each other round, and probably swop groups after nine holes. Too good a course not to play, especially for what we paid.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seems the poll hasn't gone in the direction the OP intended or thought!

As for someone being narrow minded by not wishing to play somewhere for any number of reasons! What utter rubbish, I suspect that person needs to broaden their vocabulary and mind a little. Or a lot actually :D

People are different, which is great. We all have different ideas as to what is acceptable or not, so of course people will choose not to play or join somewhere based on various regulations.

Long socks? If they insist, then just pull them down after the first tee shot or hole, or even change into shorter socks. Problem solved ;D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Dress code doesn't really bother me. Foursomes as part of a comp I don't mind but if it was just 4 of us visiting and they insisted on foursomes, no thanks. What I don't like is visitor's changing rooms that are pokey and dark when the member's changing rooms are plush. And I'm less keen on a visitor's bar/lounge that similarly is pokey whilst the member's bar/lounge was very smart - we were served through hatch from the main bar... never been back there.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hence why it wasn’t about “joining” a club more about going to play a course

For example RSG only allow long socks if wearing shorts - now would someone say “nope I’m not playing there because of that rule “

My reply was specifically aimed at those who had replied about joining a club rather than playing a course. Incidentally, if there was a rule regarding the length of socks with shorts, then I would simply wear long trousers so I could play.