Worried about handicaps over 28 for men?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those of you who thought it was the beginning of the end of the world when Club Handicaps were introduced, here are the records of the 2 most successful of our 11 players who took up the offer of Club Handicaps back in March 2016. All of the 11 were in their later years, played pretty regularly and were always at the bottom of the heap in competitions when playing off 28.

QRsBuffers0.1 increase2.0 chop1.5 chop1.0 chop0.5 chopGeneral Play increase
541237141 @ 1.0
5916382122 @ 1.0

The first player started at 36 handicap, finished at 34.
The first player started at 38 handicap, finished at 36.

Does any club have a tale to tell of Club Handicap holders shooting out the lights and running away with comps and trophies?

D

Deleted member 16999

For those of you who thought it was the beginning of the end of the world when Club Handicaps were introduced, here are the records of the 2 most successful of our 11 players who took up the offer of Club Handicaps back in March 2016. All of the 11 were in their later years, played pretty regularly and were always at the bottom of the heap in competitions when playing off 28.

541237141 @ 1.0
5916382122 @ 1.0

Does any club have a tale to tell of Club Handicap holders shooting out the lights and running away with comps and trophies?
People are generally resistant to change, give it 5 years and they’ll be talking about the good old days.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cat 4 figure so rarely in any of our competition results that the addition of cat 5 etc shouldn't be a cause for concern....however when club handicaps were first discussed it was!

The reality is that clubs may choose to restrict their winners pool out with the handicapping system, so the change in the handicap system is absolutely irrelevant to that element.

The positives it can bring are sugnificant.

D

Deleted member 15344

I suspect there are prob many clubs that haven’t given anyone a Club HC - I know we haven’t and yes we will bring in restrictions in regards max HC in board comps - medals and stableford will have a seperate div for the people the system has given a HC over 28.

I did speak to two people who have a 28 HC and very rarely play to it - they put it quite bluntly that they wouldn’t want their HC to increase beyond 28 and indeed wouldn’t play in comps if it happens automatically

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect there are prob many clubs that haven’t given anyone a Club HC - I know we haven’t and yes we will bring in restrictions in regards max HC in board comps - medals and stableford will have a seperate div for the people the system has given a HC over 28.

I did speak to two people who have a 28 HC and very rarely play to it - they put it quite bluntly that they wouldn’t want their HC to increase beyond 28 and indeed wouldn’t play in comps if it happens automatically

I was in this very same boat.. one of my societies lets people go to 36 and I hate it

their system is weird I wont go into it but I went up to 31 then got down to 27 in it within a couple of rounds .. but I dislike it

I like being off 27 now I take that as an achievement but I flat out hate being off 29 because id had a bad round... it was embarrassing. one guy won off 40 I think he was off at the time because he had just go into golf.. im all for making the game inclusive but as my mate pointed out to me where is the incentive to improve? I want to be off 20 then 18 long term.. I know I haven't got the ability to be a 10 handicapper but 18 for me would make me feel great.. I spent too long on 28 through not putting in the work and just enjoying myself now I want to get better.. I don't want to win an event because I got put up to 29.

D

Deleted member 16999

I was in this very same boat.. one of my societies lets people go to 36 and I hate it

their system is weird I wont go into it but I went up to 31 then got down to 27 in it within a couple of rounds .. but I dislike it

I like being off 27 now I take that as an achievement but I flat out hate being off 29 because id had a bad round... it was embarrassing. one guy won off 40 I think he was off at the time because he had just go into golf.. im all for making the game inclusive but as my mate pointed out to me where is the incentive to improve? I want to be off 20 then 18 long term.. I know I haven't got the ability to be a 10 handicapper but 18 for me would make me feel great.. I spent too long on 28 through not putting in the work and just enjoying myself now I want to get better.. I don't want to win an event because I got put up to 29.
I fully agree with your sentiment and the way you’ve put it, genuine question, if when you’d started someone had told you the highest handicap you start off on is, 30 or 32 or 34 etc, would it have stopped you taking up the game or having the attitude you have now?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I fully agree with your sentiment and the way you’ve put it, genuine question, if when you’d started someone had told you the highest handicap you start off on is, 30 or 32 or 34 etc, would it have stopped you taking up the game or having the attitude you have now?

not at all, I used to enjoy just playing with my dad and granddad.. that was it only ever played with them and my uncle

few years ago we played all 4 of us again and it was a great feeling.. shame my granddad cant walk anymore and my dads got dodgy knees so he cant play.. took my uncle out because he only ever played with granddad (not a real uncle, my granddads close mate.. like an uncle to me) so I took him out few weeks ago and he was so grateful and had such a good laugh.. he has slowed down a lot because hes 74 I think now so I just let everyone through and enjoyed the day

I wouldn't have been put off taking the game up for sure tho. I have only gotten the full bug in the past 2 years id say.. before I played at golf my granddad put it.. now I play golf.

D

Deleted member 16999

not at all, I used to enjoy just playing with my dad and granddad.. that was it only ever played with them and my uncle

few years ago we played all 4 of us again and it was a great feeling.. shame my granddad cant walk anymore and my dads got dodgy knees so he cant play.. took my uncle out because he only ever played with granddad (not a real uncle, my granddads close mate.. like an uncle to me) so I took him out few weeks ago and he was so grateful and had such a good laugh.. he has slowed down a lot because hes 74 I think now so I just let everyone through and enjoyed the day

I wouldn't have been put off taking the game up for sure tho. I have only gotten the full bug in the past 2 years id say.. before I played at golf my granddad put it.. now I play golf.
I’ve checked all our results this year and in over 30 singles comps, stab and stroke, we’ve only had 2 guys, 1 off 23 and 1 off 26, with a handicap over 20.

I think to us already playing the game there are concerns, but I don’t believe it would stop anyone starting to play golf binning it if they were told initial handicaps start at 30 something and I find it even harder to believe competitions would be won by guys manipulating their handicap to stay in the 30’s.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve checked all our results this year and in over 30 singles comps, stab and stroke, we’ve only had 2 guys, 1 off 23 and 1 off 26, with a handicap over 20.

I think to us already playing the game there are concerns, but I don’t believe it would stop anyone starting to play golf binning it if they were told initial handicaps start at 30 something and I find it even harder to believe competitions would be won by guys manipulating their handicap to stay in the 30’s.

yeah don't get me wrong I don't think the high cappers do hold onto their handicappers to win our events just don't like seeing really high handicaps.. well infact this is the rule I am trying to make them bring in (bearing in mind our society which allows these handicaps does weird system) by all means allow it.. but max 36 no more and once they reach 28 that's it they cant go back up! no matter what... the first year I played in that society it was won overall by a new golfer off 36 who won every single event because he worked hard had lessons and now is off about 20 I think it is.. but he was coming in with stupid points each time.. 200 plus yard drives down the fairways.. beautiful chips.. his handicap dropped quick but he still won by loads

im also trying to get them to bring in what all my other societies do... if you win you get cut by 1 plus whatever... they don't so they had an event where someone got 27 points .. won it but by there system they got shots back on their handicap!

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It depends on your motivation for playing the game.

If I shot 5/6 under my handicap and didn't win the trophy due to a member with a Cat 5 handicap winning, I genuinely wouldn't care less. I play medals to reduce my handicap, not to win trophies or money. Don't get me wrong, when you do win them, great, but it's not the be all and end all.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

If I shot 5/6 under my handicap and didn't win the trophy due to a member with a Cat 5 handicap winning, I genuinely wouldn't care less. I play medals to reduce my handicap, not to win trophies or money. Don't get me wrong, when you do win them, great, but it's not the be all and end all.

Agree about the motivation.

I am coming back in to the game.
For over 30 years, I have played here and there, play a few months then not pick up a club again for a few years.

Have a bit more time now, so got back interested a few months ago.
Got a new set of clubs, having the odd lesson.

My sole aim is to get a handicap and then work on reducing that down ( hopefully)

Its sport, its nice to be competitive ( and the H/C system allows that) but its not the be all and end all.

I played a charity Golf competition at the Grove a few months back, was in a team with 3 friends. None were club members, all 3 were ok golfers who would play to mid teens in my mind - all put themselves down as 28 in a sole attempt to win - that was the be all and end all. They went as far as blatantly cheating to try and win.
To be honest we fell out over it, I can't understand why anyone would want to behave in that way - the only person you are kidding is yourself, its quite sad.

D

Deleted member 21258

I played a charity Golf competition at the Grove a few months back, was in a team with 3 friends. None were club members, all 3 were ok golfers who would play to mid teens in my mind - all put themselves down as 28 in a sole attempt to win - that was the be all and end all. They went as far as blatantly cheating to try and win.
To be honest we fell out over it, I can't understand why anyone would want to behave in that way - the only person you are kidding is yourself, its quite sad.

That is a such a shame, everytime I had someone shoot 46-50 stableford points on the golf days I organised, it was always by someone turning up like that or said its only the 1st/2nd game I have ever played. I used to then cut them by 15-20 shots and surprising never had one return. Thankfully the people who come are regulars now, so do not have that problem, no a problem I miss. One time I didn't even give a guy the prize who shot the silly score.

Not that is a problem with the handicap system really, as they don't have one and have cheated to be totally frank.

At club level, I really think higher handicaps are a great idea for ladies (and perhaps older guys that come to the game late in life), as I posted on another thread recently.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

I think that is probably the most sensible approach. Golf needs new blood, if giving a 36 handicap to a beginner allows them to "compete" in club/open competitions then I agree it has to be encouraged and embraced. Its not new 36 (or even 28) handicaps that are the problem its people who "deliberately" keep their handicap high, every club has them.

Handicap is where its at.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agree about the motivation.

I am coming back in to the game.
For over 30 years, I have played here and there, play a few months then not pick up a club again for a few years.

Have a bit more time now, so got back interested a few months ago.
Got a new set of clubs, having the odd lesson.

My sole aim is to get a handicap and then work on reducing that down ( hopefully)

Its sport, its nice to be competitive ( and the H/C system allows that) but its not the be all and end all.

some people have no shame. I worked briefly for a publishing company when we first moved back and they had a golf day every year. there were only a handful of guys that played reg or were club members. We all played off 3/4 and the guys that said didn't play or handn't played in a while were all given 28. one of these guys shot a score in the 70's gross for some ridiculous number of points won by miles.

Turns out he had been a member of a 9 hole course the year before and was off 12.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

^^^this

Mind you I might have been a little bit miffed had my 6 under handicap 42 pts in our sat am roll-up three weeks ago not won the £18 on offer. Though it wouldn't have been about the money.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its not new 36 (or even 28) handicaps that are the problem its people who "deliberately" keep their handicap high, every club has them.

Really?! Is that true? I just don't get that. Certainly not true at my place. Why would they do that?

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

541237141 @ 1.0
5916382122 @ 1.0

No. I have just checked on IG and we only have 2 Club Handicaps, one of whom has been inactive and one who has put in 3 cards. So no running away with comps and trophies. Looking at the current 28's, I can't see that any of them will set the world on fire as they have been around for some years at that level. To get your cap down you have to work at your game and many aren't prepared to do that or are perfectly happy enjoying the game as they sit.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
some people have no shame. I worked briefly for a publishing company when we first moved back and they had a golf day every year. there were only a handful of guys that played reg or were club members. We all played off 3/4 and the guys that said didn't play or handn't played in a while were all given 28. one of these guys shot a score in the 70's gross for some ridiculous number of points won by miles.

Turns out he had been a member of a 9 hole course the year before and was off 12.
Pretty much just blatant cheating, what a nerve :mad:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the first year I played in that society it was won overall by a new golfer off 36 who won every single event because he worked hard had lessons and now is off about 20 I think it is.. but he was coming in with stupid points each time.. 200 plus yard drives down the fairways.. beautiful chips.. his handicap dropped quick but he still won by loads

im also trying to get them to bring in what all my other societies do... if you win you get cut by 1 plus whatever... they don't so they had an event where someone got 27 points .. won it but by there system they got shots back on their handicap!

IMO someone taking lessons and practicing hard deserves their wins... certainly more than I would if I didn't have the same commitment. Having said that it does sound like the society's 'weird system' does need changing as it's unlikely he'd deserve to win every event. Societies I've played in tend to cut fairly severely for continued wins especially if win by a big margin - in an attempt to make everyone feel they have a chance and to spread the winnings around a bit