Worried about handicaps over 28 for men?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
FWIW I welcome the changes allowing higher handicaps, certainly I know a couple of old guys who have absolutely zero chance of winning off 28 but still enter, be great if they can get a sniff of the odd chance to compete

D

Deleted member 16999

All these posts from people having dodgy handicaps in events are all society or company days etc, none of the stories are about guys in Clubs staying high and winning events.

You’ll get cheats in all walks of life, but people with “proper” handicaps would only win once and they’d be cut, then have 7 0.1’s and hope they get a shot back etc etc, I don’t believe these people in the high 20’s handicaps exist

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All these posts from people having dodgy handicaps in events are all society or company days etc, none of the stories are about guys in Clubs staying high and winning events.

You’ll get cheats in all walks of life, but people with “proper” handicaps would only win once and they’d be cut, then have 7 0.1’s and hope they get a shot back etc etc, I don’t believe these people in the high 20’s handicaps exist

my example was nothing to do with high handicaps, just an example same as the person i replied to.

But i do know of people who keep the handicap high just to win stuff and the usual suspects on the TT back that up.

none are high (20+), but mid high teen

D

Deleted member 16999

my example was nothing to do with high handicaps, just an example same as the person i replied to.

But i do know of people who keep the handicap high just to win stuff and the usual suspects on the TT back that up.

none are high (20+), but mid high teen
Agreed Patrick, the dodgiest handicaps seem to sit in the 20-10 range for me.

That’s why I don’t see why raising the limit to 36 will impact on Clubs.

At the moment you may get a beginner who is a genuine 32-34 Handicapper, he’s given 28 and if he enters a comp he is immediately expected to play 4-6 shots below his handicap just to break par, yes I know these people also tend to make the biggest leaps, but I don’t believe for 1 minute somebody could manipulate a handicap in the high 20’s low 30’s to try and win events, especially if the handicap committee is doing it’s job correctly.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don’t see why raising the limit to 36 will impact on Clubs.

At the moment you may get a beginner who is a genuine 32-34 Handicapper, he’s given 28 and if he enters a comp he is immediately expected to play 4-6 shots below his handicap just to break par, yes I know these people also tend to make the biggest leaps, but I don’t believe for 1 minute somebody could manipulate a handicap in the high 20’s low 30’s to try and win events, especially if the handicap committee is doing it’s job correctly.

Agree. Also those who due to age etc can no longer compete off 28 but who should still be afforded a fair chance

Also I agree regarding the handicap protectors, the few I know are in the 10-18 range. I even know one who (between hima and me) admits to it and justifies it by being his only chance of beating the high handicappers to win trophies
Me, my target to get as low as I can and any wins are just the icing on the cake

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree. Also those who due to age etc can no longer compete off 28 but who should still be afforded a fair chance

Also I agree regarding the handicap protectors, the few I know are in the 10-18 range. I even know one who (between hima and me) admits to it and justifies it by being his only chance of beating the high handicappers to win trophies
Me, my target to get as low as I can and any wins are just the icing on the cake

But as soon as he gets a win, surely he gets a cut? So how can he win multiple trophies?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But as soon as he gets a win, surely he gets a cut? So how can he win multiple trophies?

I the ones i know that do this are not winning club Qualifying comps, its non counters and Team/Texas scramble/ matchplay comps.

one of them up here cleans up every year in the winter alliance. non counting.

the raise to 36 surely is aimed at the player who can not go up quick enough or play to 28

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Depends on:
- how big his 'buffer' (bad choice of words) is between his false handicap and what it should be (I'd say 4 shots)

- what he shoots to win as to how big his handicap cut is

Obviously he's not going to clean up every week in singles comps without gettjng big cuts, but it's enough advantage to get an undeserved win or two a season

I guarantee you if this guy's not in with a chance of winning he will get 0.1 back, never gets any 0.3 cuts etc

Plus you don't get cut off pairs comps, AM/AMs etc so open to abuse (apart from maybe now at season review)

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Speaking of potential bandits did anyone watch the American Golf Family Championship last night?

The father and son that won. I think the son had a handicap in the mid 20s but was playing amazing golf.
I suspect with kids of that age there is always a bit of a lag in their handicap especially if they are practicing loads

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion about handicap manipulation in this thread, but that can go on regardless of whatever the maximum allowed HCP.

I'm more interested in how these much higher handicaps will affect the running of competitions. You can't put a handicap limit on the comps, as this excludes the very people we're trying to attract to the game. So the obvious thing is to create extra divisions for the higher handicappers with separate prizes.

BUT... I foresee the biggest problem will be the effect on pace of play. At my club there's not enough space in the calendar to run separate comps on different days for higher handicappers - so they will have to play with the rest of us. Imagine going out in a medal and following a 4 ball of guys with handicaps in the 40s and 50s. It fills me with dread, and I can't see any obvious solution.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
No worries at all, played in NZ with plenty of guys who were 36's . From memory we had 4 divisions for prizes, never that big a prize out there, in fact used to be a meat tray.

D

Deleted member 15344

Mix up the group's.
1 from Div 1, 1 from Div2 etc......

What if you dont do drawn medals ? Do you see Cat 1 players really wanting to watch people regulary take 6-8 shots on every single hole every time they play - could see people stop playing comps and leaving clubs who would bring that in

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I the ones i know that do this are not winning club Qualifying comps, its non counters and Team/Texas scramble/ matchplay comps.

one of them up here cleans up every year in the winter alliance. non counting.

As I understand it these are exactly the sort of scores that are now supposed to be returned .... anyway we digress, it has nothing to do with the topic.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What if you dont do drawn medals ? Do you see Cat 1 players really wanting to watch people regulary take 6-8 shots on every single hole every time they play - could see people stop playing comps and leaving clubs who would bring that in

Which just goes to prove how elitist some people are. When I play in a club competition I am happy to play with anyone. I may not be Cat 1 (or ever get there) but I've played with many players that have had high handicaps including those off the current maximum who have had poor days and struggled. I'd never complain, would help look for balls (and ensure provisional balls played in a medal), offer encouragement and enjoy a well earned beer after

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion about handicap manipulation in this thread, but that can go on regardless of whatever the maximum allowed HCP.

I'm more interested in how these much higher handicaps will affect the running of competitions. You can't put a handicap limit on the comps, as this excludes the very people we're trying to attract to the game. So the obvious thing is to create extra divisions for the higher handicappers with separate prizes.

BUT... I foresee the biggest problem will be the effect on pace of play. At my club there's not enough space in the calendar to run separate comps on different days for higher handicappers - so they will have to play with the rest of us. Imagine going out in a medal and following a 4 ball of guys with handicaps in the 40s and 50s. It fills me with dread, and I can't see any obvious solution.

The thing is that a lot of these players are already in the comps but with a handicap of 28/36. I (unfortunately) get to play with one such player occasionally, his last medal score was 120. He will not pick up and insists on completing every hole to the best of his ability. There have been several complaints in the past about how slow he is as a result.

Having done a quick reckie of all players in the 28/36 bracket I reckon about 40 are going to get higher handicaps.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Along with the big handicap these players are going to get there needs to be education too.
Tell these players that they HAVE to pick up if they can't score, educate them in the ettiquette of the game.
And that goes for all players too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no idea what any of this means. Is there a layman’s explanation for us newbs?

On 1st of January next year the upper limit of handicaps of both sexes increases to 54 for Congu handicaps previously men with a handicap over 28 and ladies over 36 could only be given Congu Club Handicaps and could not be give Competition status (c after their handicap) and could be excluded from winning prizes, at the clubs discretion.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I am worried about club's taking a knee jerk action about the new handicap limits. Remember that with divisions they will only be competing against the less capable players in the first place although having just done a review our third division now includes handicaps 16 and over.