Worried about handicaps over 28 for men?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Along with the big handicap these players are going to get there needs to be education too.
Tell these players that they HAVE to pick up if they can't score, educate them in the ettiquette of the game.
And that goes for all players too.

I agree but let's be realistic. People off 28 or lower don't do that now

D

Deleted member 16999

What if you dont do drawn medals ? Do you see Cat 1 players really wanting to watch people regulary take 6-8 shots on every single hole every time they play - could see people stop playing comps and leaving clubs who would bring that in
Fair point and I agree, I certainly don’t see it as snobbery or elitist, I’m off 12 and would get pissed off if a guy was taking 6-8 shots every hole every time we played, the only question or comment I would add is, surely if a club has drawn comps now and the max handicap is 28, they could already have guys who should have a higher handicap playing off 28 and being drawn with Cat 1’s, so in effect it’s no different apart from the guy of 28 has an actual handicap rather than an imposed false 28.
Apart from the club champs we, thankfully, don’t have drawn comps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something you can't pick up if it is a strokeplay comp. If it is Stableford and they don't pick up when out of it then that is poor form.

D

Deleted member 15344

Stableford is also a strokeplay Comp but the premise is right if in a Stableford you can’t score then pick up

You can also in Medals NR holes and still get HC Cut but not win

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In a stableford?
In strokeplay they are not allowed, unless I’m wrong.

I played in a stableford on Sunday and if I couldn’t score, picked up and moved on, I’m off 23.

I understand you can't pick up in medal (well you can but you know what I mean) but I was referring to stableford. It happens at most clubs including my own when you see guys who've no chance of scoring insisting on playing the hole out. It's a problem but not sure how you stop it

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand you can't pick up in medal (well you can but you know what I mean) but I was referring to stableford. It happens at most clubs including my own when you see guys who've no chance of scoring insisting on playing the hole out. It's a problem but not sure how you stop it

Ive got to admit, it’s not something I’ve seen, guys I’ve played with would just pick up and move on, that’s what makes it a more relaxing format in my opinion.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
This would be good for my son. He is 10 and plays off 14 for his junior handicap but has just submitted his 6 cards for his adult handicap and it will be 28 but in reality should be 35. It will be good for him to have the 35 and work to bring it down. At 28 it is going to be a while till he sees any sort of movement but with a 35 he will at least see some good progress through next year which will help motivate him even more.