World Handicap System

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, very crudely looking at my best 8 from the last 20 competition scores (don't have social scores) it looks like my handicap would be about 1.3. However I had a pretty bad run in the latter half of the year and the 21st and 22nd scores that have just dropped out were good ones so my handicap would have been 0.3 two rounds ago.

Carrying on that trend, the next two scores to drop out are also good ones and if I replace them with the average score I've had since then my handicap would go to 2.4.

So basically in the space of four rounds (which I could easily play in a week in the summer) I could get an extra two shots on my handicap. Not sure someone playing me in a handicap match after that run would be very impressed!

Interesting though that looking at it this way has my handicap a fair bit lower than at present.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At pres you can only put in one supplementary a week, max 10 a year. I get this.
Under the new proposal i guess i can put in unlimited casual rounds.
This sounds like i can influence my h cap quite quickly, either way.
Not sure about this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At pres you can only put in one supplementary a week, max 10 a year. I get this.
Under the new proposal i guess i can put in unlimited casual rounds.
This sounds like i can influence my h cap quite quickly, either way.
Not sure about this.

Changes introduced for 2018

Supplementary Scores: Relaxation of rules – no restriction on number per year, no restriction on number per week.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, very crudely looking at my best 8 from the last 20 competition scores (don't have social scores) it looks like my handicap would be about 1.3. However I had a pretty bad run in the latter half of the year and the 21st and 22nd scores that have just dropped out were good ones so my handicap would have been 0.3 two rounds ago.

Carrying on that trend, the next two scores to drop out are also good ones and if I replace them with the average score I've had since then my handicap would go to 2.4.

So basically in the space of four rounds (which I could easily play in a week in the summer) I could get an extra two shots on my handicap. Not sure someone playing me in a handicap match after that run would be very impressed!

Interesting though that looking at it this way has my handicap a fair bit lower than at present.

But does this not show the philosophy of the current handicap system at it's best.
•
  • [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]reviewing handicaps ........ to ensure that handicaps are reflective of current ability. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
probably as detailed explanations of the system haven't been released, so most of the answers are best guesses until then.
isn’t this the same as the USA system so they should know the answers , or are tweets being made that make ours slightly different that would defeat the object surely.

My worry is in a match I know how many shots I give my op.
off 5 I would give a 10 cap 5 shots he might go to 11 he may go to 9 depending on his exact But it’s only one shot either way.

if I understand it right he could turn up saying I am off 14 this week? That can’t be right.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That can almost happen with current system anyway.

Interesting point though- will the new system allow two cards on one day? The current only allows one.
My main point is you would know where you stood so 9.4 play Friday 10 for sat .
under the new system you would not be sure unless you were on top of your last 20 rounds.
This could lead to you playing off wrong handicap in a match up or down.

would you just go off the last posted handicap on computer or hard copy , this could change hourly with social cards coming in all day.
seems the handicap sec is going to be busy or a full time job.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My main point is you would know where you stood so 9.4 play Friday 10 for sat .
under the new system you would not be sure unless you were on top of your last 20 rounds.
This could lead to you playing off wrong handicap in a match up or down.

would you just go off the last posted handicap on computer or hard copy , this could change hourly with social cards coming in all day.
seems the handicap sec is going to be busy or a full time job.

Factor in the potential for an abnormal weather and course conditions calculation and it doesn't become a DIY thing anymore.
You have to rely on your card being processed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
isn’t this the same as the USA system so they should know the answers , or are tweets being made that make ours slightly different that would defeat the object surely.

off 5 I would give a 10 cap 5 shots he might go to 11 he may go to 9 depending on his exact But it’s only one shot either way.

if I understand it right he could turn up saying I am off 14 this week? That can’t be right.

How do you and the people you play know your handicaps now? Where do you get the information from? Why should it change?
Is it different after playing in a comp from putting a supplementary score?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Factor in the potential for an abnormal weather and course conditions calculation and it doesn't become a DIY thing anymore.
You have to rely on your card being processed.
well I think that will cause problems as our handicap sec is a volunteer, this will increase his workload and can see some giving it a miss.
Most clubs don’t have the funds to pay someone to do it.

Imurg

Visit site
How do you and the people you play know your handicaps now? Where do you get the information from? Why should it change?
Is it different after playing in a comp from putting a supplementary score?

Under the current process, with a supplementary, you know immediately of any cut or increase as your score is rated against SSS..
Under the new process you need to know, not only your previous 20 scores, but also if there is any other calculation for weather or conditions involved.
The opportunity to get it wrong whilst waiting for your card to be processed is potentially quite large.
Surely just entering your card into a computer can't be enough...it would have to be verified before completion.?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure we'll find out in due course how it will administered , but in NZ your handicap index changed every two weeks at Midnight on a Wednesday. No need to worry , just keep banging your cards in and from memory you got a text message informing you of your new index .

I know they are asking you to submit your cards that day if possible for inclusion and I'm surmising they are going to roll out a "super computer program" that is run nationally and your card /s will be scanned by a scanner . This will have/will be funded by the national organisation ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sure we'll find out in due course how it will administered , but in NZ your handicap index changed every two weeks at Midnight on a Wednesday. No need to worry , just keep banging your cards in and from memory you got a text message informing you of your new index .

I know they are asking you to submit your cards that day if possible for inclusion and I'm surmising they are going to roll out a "super computer program" that is run nationally and your card /s will be scanned by a scanner . This will have/will be funded by the national organisation ?

I have been told with Intelligent Golf the facility exists to input you own Supplementary Scores (if the club has turned this on) I assume it would be an easily facility for other software suppliers to have on their systems.

I therefore presume that the club will have the responsibility to adjust for weather conditions and until they do the handicap, as calculated, will stand.

I know with our club set up there are many days when there is nobody available to input Supp. Scores, eg Friday to Sunday, and all weekend comps are not closed until Monday earliest.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

As I understand it, your handicap is not adjusted after every round, but every fortnight. It's possible that this was done to eliminate/smooth this sort of fluctuation!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I understand it, your handicap is not adjusted after every round, but every fortnight. It's possible that this was done to eliminate/smooth this sort of fluctuation!
Do you mean in the current USGA system or the WHS?

The expectation is that WHS will have software and hardware facilities to be virtually instant.
The weather/course condition adjustments will be very rare and have little impact, especially on non comp rounds.

Imurg

Visit site
Totally serious question, which you may not have the answer to....
If the weather/course adjustment will be rare and have little effect, what is the point of having it as it creates doubt.
How are we to know if this adjustment is taking place or not?
This, of course, only really matters of you're not inputting into a computer and getting an immediate result

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

The WHS isn't the same as the USGA system, although it shares most of the principles.

The tweaks apply to them as well, ie fundamentally there will be the one system.

The tweaks create the questions...

're you second para you won't have a fixed handicap of 5, you will have as handicap index (say 5) which will be converted to a course handicap depending on the course and tee ratings. A handicap index of 5 will produce a course handicap of between 2 and 7. Same for your 10 index opponent (his parametersnwill be 7 and 14) so depending on the course and tees you compete on you may be giving 5, 6 or 7 shots to him.

However, I suspect your reference was more to do with quickly shifting handicap index calculations - there are already (in the USGA system) restrictions on how far and how fast handicaps can move; the materialmreferenced at thenstart of this thread makes it clear that this principle will be retained (and probably enhanced).

Is it right - Well as the fundamental principles the USGA system is to handicap for form rather than proven capability it would arguably be exactly right...but even the USGA were starting to move away from this and the WHS 'camel' seems to be quite comfortable with the premise that your handicap will be 'the average of the best 8 from the last 20 adjusted as we think fit'

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally serious question, which you may not have the answer to....
If the weather/course adjustment will be rare and have little effect, what is the point of having it as it creates doubt.
How are we to know if this adjustment is taking place or not?
This, of course, only really matters of you're not inputting into a computer and getting an immediate result

It can only operate based on all the scores entered for that course (arguably tees as well) on that day which logically means that any immediate result produced must be subject to subsequent correction (unless yours was the last score entered for that day).

I suspect Rulefan's point is that it will be rare for sufficient scores to be entered for a particular course and tee combination that deliver a significance sufficient to recommend an adjustment.

I agree with you that on the face of it it seems tomadd a level of complexity that isn't really necessary....i suspect the answer is that it's there for the rare situation it's appropriate!