World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recommend the quick reinstatement of handicap committees and sharp pencils in order to avoid a complete Horlicks. ;)

I hope they have not got rid of the handicap committee where you play as it is till a requirement under the WHS to have one.

Not that the committee has had anything to since the annual review, just me as the person on Captain's committee who heads the Handicap committee.

Springveldt

Visit site
The WHS uses the PCC which has a value of -1 to +3. The CSS itself is around the SSS (+ or -). The nearest equivalent to PCC is (CSS - SSS)
I mean for the initial calculation when transferring over. I understand the PCC for when the system is live but I was under the impression that the CSS will be used in the initial calculation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mean for the initial calculation when transferring over. I understand the PCC for when the system is live but I was under the impression that the CSS will be used in the initial calculation.

From others on here my understanding is that appropriate existing handicap records are being to converted to allow for slope and course rating.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hopefully a simple question:
My congu handicap is 5.2.
My average of the best 8 is 5.1. All scores recorded at my home course.
The slope rating for my course is 133. Course rating is 70.8.
Will my handicap index be lower than 5.1 so that my playing handicap round the course is 5, or can I expect an index of 5.1 that means I’ll actually get 7 strokes on my home course?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My average of the best 8 is 5.1.

Will my handicap index be lower than 5.1 so that my playing handicap round the course is 5, or can I expect an index of 5.1 that means I’ll actually get 7 strokes on my home course?
Did you de-slope your scores when calculating your average. Remember your current recorded differentials are measured against SSS (or CSS)
The calculation you need to do is crudely (adjusted Gross Score x (113/Slope))

Springveldt

Visit site
From others on here my understanding is that appropriate existing handicap records are being to converted to allow for slope and course rating.
Yes but I was under the impression that CSS will be used rather than course rating in the initial conversion. I know once it’s live it will always use course rating and any PCC on that day.

e.g. One of my best scores in the last 20 is a 79 and the CSS that day was 72 but course rating is 71.1, slope is 139. So to get my differential for the day do I do...

(79-72) * (113/139) = 5.7
Or
(79-71.1) * (113/139) = 6.4

Also is each differential rounded to 1 decimal place before getting the average or are they only rounded after the average?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Par is irrelevant.
For each round use your CONGU handicap to calculate a Course Handicap. ie multiply CONGU by (slope / 113) Sloping
Then calculate your Score Differential. (113 / Slope) multiplied by your gross score (adjusted for net db and difference between CSS an SSS) De-sloping
Use the SDs for your 8 from 20. THat's your Index.
Not too sure if anyone has mentioned this on the thread, but the USGA for their world handicap state the equation as being:
Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating / 113) + (Course Rating – par)
subtle difference but can give you an extra shot.
Everything I’ve seen from England golf doesn’t mention about the course rating - par part, but all the online calculators do appear to use it.
confused.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not too sure if anyone has mentioned this on the thread, but the USGA for their world handicap state the equation as being:
Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating / 113) + (Course Rating – par)
subtle difference but can give you an extra shot.
Everything I’ve seen from England golf doesn’t mention about the course rating - par part, but all the online calculators do appear to use it.
confused.
CONGU is not using the (Course Rating - Par) adjustment.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes but I was under the impression that CSS will be used rather than course rating in the initial conversion.
That is correct.
Also is each differential rounded to 1 decimal place before getting the average or are they only rounded after the average?
When calculated, Score Differentials are calculated to 1 dec place and conventionally rounded to a whole number. The averaging is based on the whole number. The resultant Index is to 1 dec.

Last edited:

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did you de-slope your scores when calculating your average. Remember your current recorded differentials are measured against SSS (or CSS)
The calculation you need to do is crudely (adjusted Gross Score x (113/Slope))
Ah ok, no I didn’t do that, thanks. I took the stableford adjusted differential against css from the best 8 scores and averaged it out.
so my 74 yesterday (+3 above css) would actually be calculated as 3 x (113/130), which equals 2.6?

Mozza14

Visit site
That is correct.

When calculated, Score Differentials are calculated to 1 dec place and conventionally rounded to a whole number. The averaging is based on the whole number. The resultant Index is to 1 dec.

What is the source for this information please and for the transition using CSS rather than Course Rating ? Is there documentation regarding this?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is the source for this information please and for the transition using CSS rather than Course Rating ? Is there documentation regarding this?
The manual
1601980092354.png

and sometimes direct from my connections in England Golf.
"Using CSS as opposed to SSS(CR) is to adjust approximately for what will be PCC"
But I believe that has actually been published generally by EG or CONGU

Last edited:

Mozza14

Visit site
Reading the manual closely and partially direct from my connections in England Golf.
The CSS v SSS(CR) is to adjust approximately for what will be PCC
Thanks. I have read the Rules of Handicapping and Guidance document but couldn't find any reference to the transitional arrangements.

I am interested to know where it says the transition will use the CSS rather than the CR for the Conversion.

Also where it says that rounded differentials would be used rather than to one decimal point?

Would you mind pointing me to the relevant sections or is there another reference manual which you could quote from please?

If the ongoing system is to use CR to one decimal point and differentials to one decimal point and the software can find the Course Rating why they would not keep it consistent.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I find a pity is that the slides use for the workshops can no longer be accessed.

They showed good examples of a players record and how it is affected.

Anybody still got them?

Last edited: