World Handicap System (WHS)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Calculated mine out of curiosity, I knew I'd been playing badly the last couple of years so not too surprised at the results.

Handicap Index 17.0 which means I'll be playing off 18 from the whites at my home course. :eek:

A few qualifiers to go before end of October, need a couple of decent scores to get me down a bit.

Bandit ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is probably more complex than this but anyhow I'll ask! My best 8 out of 20 has an average of +0.75 (over CSS). So can I expect a shot increase? Would be nice!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. How do I do that? According to the USGA the Slope of the reds is 133. Does it matter they have Par incorrect at 74 (should be 75)?
Par is irrelevant.
For each round use your CONGU handicap to calculate a Course Handicap. ie multiply CONGU by (slope / 113) Sloping
Then calculate your Score Differential. (113 / Slope) multiplied by your gross score (adjusted for net db and difference between CSS an SSS) De-sloping
Use the SDs for your 8 from 20. THat's your Index.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Par is irrelevant.
For each round use your CONGU handicap to calculate a Course Handicap. ie multiply CONGU by (slope / 113) Sloping
Then calculate your Score Differential. (113 / Slope) multiplied by your gross score (adjusted for net db and difference between CSS an SSS) De-sloping

Crikey. Knew my method had to be way too simple! Might have a go at that tomorrow...

PS If any Stableford just assume nett double bogey for blobs?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The blame game has already started...

England Golf sent out an email a few days ago to all clubs explaining the timeline over the next month for migration and key dates such as...

Current ISV software would push user data to the WHS Dot Golf Website on 5th October
The website would be opened up to Golf clubs to review member data from 12th October
Golfers will be able to access their data and see their predicted handicaps from the 19th October
Launch on the 2nd November

The email states that all ISVs will link to the platform and are currently in testing phase and will be issued with accreditation when they meet the terms of the license. It then goes on to say that some ISV's have not met deadlines, including those around parallel running of the score data.

I've seen emails from an ISV in response that state that...

Accreditation has not even been applied for yet because they are waiting for problems with the DotGolf website to be addresses and that interfaces to the DotGolf site are continually changing.

In response to the "not met deadlines" accusation from EG they say that they have been having discussions about the technical barriers that are inherent in the WHS system design that are hindering the transmission of data to the WHS. EG have declined to provide additional facilities that would have mitigated many of these technical barriers that they have created.

Apparently the ISV email clarifies that the three unions England, Wales and Ireland have decided to cancel the plans to operate a period of parallel running of the CONGU and WHS systems.

They also criticise EG for telling clubs to speak directly to your ISV in order to ensure the relevant user data is ready for the 5th October when they have already discussed their software release plans with EG and believed that EG accepted that this particular ISV's software would be released on 2nd November, and that they have not been advised by EG that they need to work to any date other than 2nd November.

Now, my own take on the situation is that, reading between the lines of the ISV's email is that they have had some issues with working with EG and DotGolf and are somewhat miffed at the support (or perceived lack of support) they have received in resolving these issues and have taken a somewhat negative response to EG's recent email (possibly ignoring the fact that is was a generic email covering all ISV's...some of whom will be able to make the dates quoted above). On EG's side I can see a desire to push responsibility towards the ISV's for not delivering.

It seems throughout this entire process the golfing authorities have made various assumptions about the way golf clubs operate their handicapping software and how the software vendors will be able to operate during the implementation period. Previous e-mails received over the past 12-18 months have revealed a clear "gap" between the ISV and England Golfs thoughts/view/understanding as to "how things will work"...the theme of EG needing to be more specific and clear about the deliverables was a recurring one.

As ever, the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

What is astounding is that, having had well over two years to prepare for this already postponed date, at this late stage there is bickering between the various parties and the likelihood is that for many clubs a solution will be released on the day we are supposed to go live, with no opportunities for real world live testing and validation of the system. Its all very well doing testing in the back ground but the true test will come when 1900 odd golf clubs try to use the system at the same time....no matter how well a system is testing under controlled "lab conditions" it will only take a bit of "load testing" by real world users to highlight the issues that will almost certainly be inherent in the solution on day 1.

I predict a riot.

Swango1980

Visit site

England Golf sent out an email a few days ago to all clubs explaining the timeline over the next month for migration and key dates such as...

Current ISV software would push user data to the WHS Dot Golf Website on 5th October
The website would be opened up to Golf clubs to review member data from 12th October
Golfers will be able to access their data and see their predicted handicaps from the 19th October

The email states that all ISVs will link to the platform and are currently in testing phase and will be issued with accreditation when they meet the terms of the license. It then goes on to say that some ISV's have not met deadlines, including those around parallel running of the score data.

Accreditation has not even been applied for yet because they are waiting for problems with the DotGolf website to be addresses and that interfaces to the DotGolf site are continually changing.

In response to the "not met deadlines" accusation from EG they say that they have been having discussions about the technical barriers that are inherent in the WHS system design that are hindering the transmission of data to the WHS. EG have declined to provide additional facilities that would have mitigated many of these technical barriers that they have created.

Apparently the ISV email clarifies that the three unions England, Wales and Ireland have decided to cancel the plans to operate a period of parallel running of the CONGU and WHS systems.

They also criticise EG for telling clubs to speak directly to your ISV in order to ensure the relevant user data is ready for the 5th October when they have already discussed their software release plans with EG and believed that EG accepted that this particular ISV's software would be released on 2nd November, and that they have not been advised by EG that they need to work to any date other than 2nd November.

Now, my own take on the situation is that, reading between the lines of the ISV's email is that they have had some issues with working with EG and DotGolf and are somewhat miffed at the support (or perceived lack of support) they have received in resolving these issues and have taken a somewhat negative response to EG's recent email (possibly ignoring the fact that is was a generic email covering all ISV's...some of whom will be able to make the dates quoted above). On EG's side I can see a desire to push responsibility towards the ISV's for not delivering.

It seems throughout this entire process the golfing authorities have made various assumptions about the way golf clubs operate their handicapping software and how the software vendors will be able to operate during the implementation period. Previous e-mails received over the past 12-18 months have revealed a clear "gap" between the ISV and England Golfs thoughts/view/understanding as to "how things will work"...the theme of EG needing to be more specific and clear about the deliverables was a recurring one.

What is astounding is that, having had well over two years to prepare for this already postponed date, at this late stage there is bickering between the various parties and the likelihood is that for many clubs a solution will be released on the day we are supposed to go live, with no opportunities for real world live testing and validation of the system. Its all very well doing testing in the back ground but the true test will come when 1900 odd golf clubs try to use the system at the same time....no matter how well a system is testing under controlled "lab conditions" it will only take a bit of "load testing" by real world users to highlight the issues that will almost certainly be inherent in the solution on day 1.

I predict a riot.
But, they said it would be so easy. No need to worry. Much of the rest of the world already operate such a system.

The regular golfer hasn't even had the chance to use the system and it seems they've already made a mess of it. Mind you, maybe it will focus the minds and there'll be some very busy people in October.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you’ll find that our old friend, GDPR, has a lot to do with it.
Legal people from a number of organisations are involved.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

I predict a riot.
Is EG now advertising for someone to head up the communications and data side of things - now we know where it all went wrong :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Springveldt

Visit site
Par is irrelevant.
I thought the initial algorithm for calculating your index was going to use the CSS so would it not be a case of ((nett double bogey - CSS) * (113 / slope)) to get your differential on that day? Then take the average of the 8 best from the last 20.

Maybe I misunderstood the slide that I found online.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the initial algorithm for calculating your index was going to use the CSS so would it not be a case of ((nett double bogey - CSS) * (113 / slope)) to get your differential on that day? Then take the average of the 8 best from the last 20.

Maybe I misunderstood the slide that I found online.
The WHS uses the PCC which has a value of -1 to +3. The CSS itself is around the SSS (+ or -). The nearest equivalent to PCC is (CSS - SSS)