World Handicap System (WHS)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only if his handicap index is the same as his current handicap. He will be informed of his index in the near future.

It appears a lot of clubs are doing there best not to inform members.

Well yes, I was just using his current handicap as an example, I dont think anyone really knows what their new handicaps will be lol.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this still going to happen for November? The reason that I ask is that about a quarter of the courses in my area have still to get their ratings onto NCRDB. Is there a big delay between the rating happening and it appearing on the database?
As soon as England Golf have completed the rating paperwork the results are sent to the club and the ncrdb is automatically updated.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is something similar I've wanted to ask.
If you're m8 is playing to a Handicap Index of 21 at your course and it's usually 3 shots harder for the handicap, isn't his new Handicap Index actually 18? Thus giving him 21 shots

I could be completely wrong here!

I thought I'd read that your handicap index is for your home course and the slope only comes into play at away courses, I must have read it incorrectly from what I'm reading here.
Another thing which bothers me, my mate off 22, he's comfortably played to that for a couple of years, threatens really low scores at times but usually blows up on the last 3 holes lol. He's obviously ok at playing to 22 at his home course yet he's now potentially going to gain 3 shots from nowhere.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course must have accounted for a lot of the Stableford results, must be around 90%-10% in terms of Stableford to medals. Wish we would play more medal comps to be honest, the Cat 1 players (even although I'm nowhere near that level) hardly ever win a comp.
A study by the then SGU found:

When the distribution of winners by handicap category is related to their representation in the field, all handicap categories win in reasonable proportion to their entry
i.e. Category 1 and Category 3 players typically comprise 8% and 40% of a club competition and in a ‘single class’ competition win 10% and 38% of the time.

The study was based on data published in the Herald Club Golf Returns over three years and embracing 2622 competitions (approximately 250,000 rounds of golf!)

Swango1980

Visit site
I thought I'd read that your handicap index is for your home course and the slope only comes into play at away courses, I must have read it incorrectly from what I'm reading here.
Another thing which bothers me, my mate off 22, he's comfortably played to that for a couple of years, threatens really low scores at times but usually blows up on the last 3 holes lol. He's obviously ok at playing to 22 at his home course yet he's now potentially going to gain 3 shots from nowhere.
Don't worry yet, his Index could be lower than 22 anyway. Just a few weeks away from finding out for certain

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both his and my course have posted spreadsheets which appears to do the maths for you, find your handicap index, look across and that's what you play off.
That's what will be on the boards and notices you club will display
I also worked out mine using the divide by 113 formula and it was exactly the same as what is on the sheet.
I should hope so :eek:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid you have
It almost certain he will not have a handicap index of 22. His new Index will effectively depend on the Course Rating and Slope of the course and which tees he has played from. The handicap he actually plays off will again depend on the Slope of the tees he is playing.

Where have you got your information from? Have you looked here?
https://www.englandgolf.org/whs/

Springveldt

Visit site
As others have said, if he's playing to a 22 handicap on his home course and the slope is giving him an extra 3 shots under WHS system then I will be very surprised if his initial Index is 22. For example, my current handicap is 9.2, my course has a slope of 139 but when I did the maths on my last 20 rounds (using net double bogey and CSS on that day) my WHS Index works out at 7.7 which would give me a course handicap of 9 for my home course. So I'm gaining nothing at my home course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously the wrong places lol, I'll check out the link thanks ?

Step 1 The first thing you need to know is where and how to check your handicap record.
Step 2 Have you got 20 or more scores on your record since January 2018.
Step 3 If yes write down the last 20 gross differentials
Step 4 work out the best 8 gross differentials from that 20
Step 5 Add the 8 together
Step 6 Divide the total by 8 and you will have your approximate Handicap Index.

If you have less than 20 it is more complicated.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As others have said, if he's playing to a 22 handicap on his home course and the slope is giving him an extra 3 shots under WHS system then I will be very surprised if his initial Index is 22. For example, my current handicap is 9.2, my course has a slope of 139 but when I did the maths on my last 20 rounds (using net double bogey and CSS on that day) my WHS Index works out at 7.7 which would give me a course handicap of 9 for my home course. So I'm gaining nothing at my home course.

Thanks for the reply, explains a lot.
I think one of my queries was when the powers that be work out your new handicap index, do they take into account the slope of your course or purely on scores you've put in irrelevant of where you have played, if that makes sense?
I've played my majority of my golf at a place where the slope is 123 off the whites, my new course is 129 but I've only played 3 qualifiers there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go on then? :LOL:

You askedo_O

5.2a For Fewer Than 20 Scores
A Handicap Index is calculated from the lowest Score Differentials in the scoring
record. If a scoring record contains fewer than 20 Score Differentials, the table
below is used to determine the number of Score Differentials to be included in the
calculation and any adjustment that may apply. Round the result of the calculation
to the nearest tenth.
Number of Score differentials in scoring record
Score Differential(s) to be used in calculation of Handicap Index
Adjustment
3 Lowest 1 -2.0
4 Lowest 1 -1.0
5 Lowest 1 0
6 Average of lowest 2 -1.0
7 or 8 Average of lowest 2 0
9 to 11 Average of lowest 3 0
12 to 14 Average of lowest 4 0
15 or 16 Average of lowest 5 0
17 or 18 Average of lowest 6 0
19 Average of lowest 7 0
20 Average of lowest 8 0

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Step 1 The first thing you need to know is where and how to check your handicap record.
Step 3 If yes write down the last 20
Step 4 work out the best 8 from that 20

I appreciate the effort of going to the trouble of posting and trying to make things simple for those of of us who haven't had access to all the briefings along the way, but what you've posted above is not correct.

Going by your steps above, if someone has scored 82 8 times out of the last 20 rounds and that is their best scores, then their handicap index would be 82.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I appreciate the effort of going to the trouble of posting and trying to make things simple for those of of us who haven't had access to all the briefings along the way, but what you've posted above is not correct.

Going by your steps above, if someone has scored 82 8 times out of the last 20 rounds and that is their best scores, then their handicap index would be 82.

Yes missed saying gross differential I will edit

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Step 3 If yes write down the last 20 gross differentials
Step 4 work out the best 8 gross differentials from that 20

Surely by your steps it would not end up with handicap INDEX but your course playing handicap

Swango1980

Visit site
Surely by your steps it would not end up with handicap INDEX but your course playing handicap
In step 4, when taking best 8, if this is simply the score above CSS (will be Course Rating) then yes, course handicap. A factor of 113/Slope needs to be applied to the above to get Index