World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, explains a lot.
I think one of my queries was when the powers that be work out your new handicap index, do they take into account the slope of your course or purely on scores you've put in irrelevant of where you have played, if that makes sense?
I've played my majority of my golf at a place where the slope is 123 off the whites, my new course is 129 but I've only played 3 qualifiers there.
They will use the competition CSS (or SSS if supp score) and Slope Rating of the tees/course played.

Springveldt

Visit site
Step 1 The first thing you need to know is where and how to check your handicap record.
Step 2 Have you got 20 or more scores on your record since January 2018.
Step 3 If yes write down the last 20 gross differentials
Step 4 work out the best 8 gross differentials from that 20
Step 5 Add the 8 together
Step 6 Divide the total by 8 and you will have your approximate Handicap Index.

If you have less than 20 it is more complicated.
Slightly more complicated than that as you need your last 20 qualifiers and you need to check your score for net double bogey as well. You also need the CSS for that day and the slope of the course.
You then work out the differential for that day based on those and take the average of the 8 best, that gives you your index.

I was bored the other week and knocked up an excel sheet to track it for me.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly more complicated than that as you need your last 20 qualifiers and you need to check your score for net double bogey as well. You also need the CSS for that day and the slope of the course.
You then work out the differential for that day based on those and take the average of the 8 best, that gives you your index.

Well we'd all love to see it ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Gross differential column on a players handicap record has already adjusted for nett double bogey and the CSS.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely by your steps it would not end up with handicap INDEX but your course playing handicap

yes you are right it will be the approximate course handicap

Not really thinking straight last.

One of the troubles is using current handicap records which have no slope and if it is like mine will have been recorded on a variety of courses at least 5 of which I know will have a different slope and course ratings.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I've worked out - I think - that my index based on 8/20 will be 5.6. Which is pretty close to my current exact of 5.4 and, interestingly, if I play to buffer or better in this weekend's competition, which is the last of the year, my index would actually come down to 5.4 or lower, and if I don't buffer my current exact goes up to 5.5, so either way my index is going to match my current handicap, which is very neat and tidy. And also assumes I've done the maths correctly.

Anyway, is it correct that the index would then be adjusted for my playing handicap, and if my course is rated above the 113 average I'll end up getting more shots per round than I currently do? Or have I missed a step somewhere?

EDIT: I can't find a slope rating for my club but I'm assuming it's been rated by now.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah at the moment it's 21.7, according to that calculator i'll be going down to 17.4 for handicap index (as my 8 best rounds stand) with a course handicap of 22

I am quite surprised at a CONGU handicap of 21.7 leading to a WHS HI of 17.4

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah at the moment it's 21.7, according to that calculator i'll be going down to 17.4 for handicap index (as my 8 best rounds stand) with a course handicap of 22
Do you play all or virtually all rounds on one course? In particular the best 8?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am quite surprised at a CONGU handicap of 21.7 leading to a WHS HI of 17.4

The CONGU handicap is anchored more by your past scores more than the WHS one, so it takes longer for the CONGU one to fall if you mix in some decent but not spectacular scores with some so-so ones. Under WHS, your handicap has a shorter memory, so if your game improves (or collapses), you can drop (or increase) handicap more quickly. It is more responsive to recent play and a lot of what used to be ho hum buffer zone scores may help reduce it by displacing worse scores contributing to the best 8 of 20.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
The CONGU handicap is anchored more by your past scores more than the WHS one, so it takes longer for the CONGU one to fall if you mix in some decent but not spectacular scores with some so-so ones. Under WHS, your handicap has a shorter memory, so if your game improves (or collapses), you can drop (or increase) handicap more quickly. It is more responsive to recent play and a lot of what used to be ho hum buffer zone scores may help reduce it by displacing worse scores contributing to the best 8 of 20.

I doubt I'll play many senior or other Opens next year - unless the value is just in playing the course at a decent price. Which is what I do anyway, but I would like to think I had some chance of winning. I'm sure the system will be milked for a while.

Last edited:

Tommy10

Visit site
All of my rounds have been taken off the medal tees at my home course, course rating 71.9 and slope of 132. The CSS for just about every comp has been 72 so i'm not sure if I should have added 2 strokes to the playing stroke adjustrment section, if I remove those (as I have done below) my handicap index would be 19.2 and course handicap at 24

1601625410917.png

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The CSS for just about every comp has been 72 so i'm not sure if I should have added 2 strokes to the playing stroke adjustrment section,
I don't understand why you think you should adjust anything. What is the adjustment for and what are you adjusting? What is the 'playing stroke adjustment section'?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Calculated mine out of curiosity, I knew I'd been playing badly the last couple of years so not too surprised at the results.

Handicap Index 17.0 which means I'll be playing off 18 from the whites at my home course. :eek:

A few qualifiers to go before end of October, need a couple of decent scores to get me down a bit.