World Handicap System (WHS)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
...and this is the problem with a WHS that has different rules in different regions and random sites on the internet

folks stumble on a calculator on a web site and don't understa nd the limitations or differences in the "other regions interpretation" of the WHS that means they need to "adjust" the data that they enter.

it's not a criticism, it's just a warning that what you find on the web might not quite apply to the region you are in. A lot of folks will blindly use such site, without the benefit of the collective discussion/expertise here, and come up with the wrong answer....and ultimately be confused when they are finally given an Index different from what they thought they were going to get.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...and this is the problem with a WHS that has different rules in different regions and random sites on the internet

folks stumble on a calculator on a web site and don't understa nd the limitations or differences in the "other regions interpretation" of the WHS that means they need to "adjust" the data that they enter.

it's not a criticism, it's just a warning that what you find on the web might not quite apply to the region you are in. A lot of folks will blindly use such site, without the benefit of the collective discussion/expertise here, and come up with the wrong answer....and ultimately be confused when they are finally given an Index different from what they thought they were going to get.

I know the risks, and I don’t care what WHS gives me. As Kaz is a great standard of golfer, I made a natural assumption that there wouldn’t be too many scores where she’s need to make a nett double bogey adjustment, and I took it into consideration with my own scores.

i also know that not everything read on the Internet is true, but it offered light relief and only took 20 minutes of my time to check it for a giggle.

surely as a WORLD Handicap System, there shouldn’t be different variations in different regions though!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
surely as a WORLD Handicap System, there shouldn’t be different variations in different regions though!
It was always expected that there would be. The traditions and customs are too ingrained to be changed overnight.
In this specific case CONGU decided that the Par vs CR was too messy and produced no significant benefit to anyone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this soft and hard handicap still relevant. If so may I ask for somebody to explain in layman’s terms please?
This might help.

5. Low Handicap Index
A player's Low Handicap Index represents the demonstrated ability of a player over the 12 month period preceding the day on which the most recent score in their scoring record was played. It represents a reference point against which a player's current Handicap Index can be compared for other possible handicap adjustments. The Low Handicap Index is an official component of a player's handicap scoring record. A Low Handicap Index is only established after a golfer has posted at least 20 acceptable scores.

6. Hard and Soft Caps
The World Handicapping System is designed to limit the upward movement of a Handicap Index. There are two trigger points built into the system:

The Soft Cap - The soft cap is triggered when the difference between a player's newly calculated Handicap Index and their Low Handicap Index is greater than 3 strokes. When a player's new Handicap Index increase is greater than 3.0 strokes, the value above 3.0 strokes is restricted to 50% of the increase.

The Hard Cap - The hard cap triggers to restrict a player's Handicap Index to never increase more than 5.0 strokes above their Low Handicap Index

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Will the initial WHS calculation take account of past low CONGU handicap or is it simply based on 8 out of last 20? Could be huge variations where people have a low number but can't play to it if it's the latter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this soft and hard handicap still relevant. If so may I ask for somebody to explain in layman’s terms please?
Or this

It will work by first finding an anchor point, or a player’s low handicap index. This is the lowest handicap index a golfer has achieved within the last 12 months.

The cap will then limit the increase of that handicap index, again over the rolling 12 month period, “measured against the player’s lowest handicap index within that period of time”.

There are two forms of cap – soft and hard.

A soft cap means that when a new calculated handicap index is more than three strokes above the player’s lowest index within the trailing 12 months, the increase is suppressed so only half of any rise above three strokes is applied.

There is also a hard cap, which is the maximum your mark can increase over that low handicap index in a rolling 12 months.
That number is five. So it doesn’t matter how many 1/2s you add on in the soft cap and it doesn’t matter how badly you’ve played in the intervening period. You can only increase a maximum of five shots in that period.

So if you take that player with a low handicap index of 12, but their best 8 out of 20 sees them coming out at 20, their handicap is capped at 17.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will the initial WHS calculation take account of past low CONGU handicap or is it simply based on 8 out of last 20? Could be huge variations where people have a low number but can't play to it if it's the latter.

Only the scores are in the last 20 qualifying scores that are on your handicap record are used.

On the assumption you are not a CAT 1 golfer The easiest way get Handicap Index that reflects your current ability is (if you do not play many comps) is to put in a Supplementary Score every time you play between now an November 2nd.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing people are going to have to get used to is the much more dynamic handicap style. In the old system, if your handicap was 9.0, say, you pretty much knew that your handcap wasn't going up until you had at least 5 bad rounds. No longer. You will now need to know which of your 20 scores is next to expire, because if it is a good one, even your best one, unless you replace it with something pretty much as good, your handicap is going to rise at least by some decimal places. On the other hand, if your worst of 8 is about to expire, and you put a good round in, it can drop your handicap by a nice chunk. If it is one of the 12 outside your best 8, your handicap will not rise no matter what you score, but will reduce if you better one of the 8 scores.

Also, in the old system, if you were tracking to miss the buffer zone, it didn't really matter if you missed by by a little or a lot. Now every score can count. If your handicap is 9, again, then your best 8 scores are going to be in a range from a few shots below to a few above 9 over the course rating. Your worst score could be 13 or 14 over the CR, probably around 30 or 31 points. So scoring 32 points rather than 29 helps your handicap slightly. Therefore sticking at a so-so round is now more important than it was.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing people are going to have to get used to is the much more dynamic handicap style. In the old system, if your handicap was 9.0, say, you pretty much knew that your handcap wasn't going up until you had at least 5 bad rounds. No longer. You will now need to know which of your 20 scores is next to expire, because if it is a good one, even your best one, unless you replace it with something pretty much as good, your handicap is going to rise at least by some decimal places. On the other hand, if your worst of 8 is about to expire, and you put a good round in, it can drop your handicap by a nice chunk. If it is one of the 12 outside your best 8, your handicap will not rise no matter what you score, but will reduce if you better one of the 8 scores.

Also, in the old system, if you were tracking to miss the buffer zone, it didn't really matter if you missed by by a little or a lot. Now every score can count. If your handicap is 9, again, then your best 8 scores are going to be in a range from a few shots below to a few above 9 over the course rating. Your worst score could be 13 or 14 over the CR, probably around 30 or 31 points. So scoring 32 points rather than 29 helps your handicap slightly. Therefore sticking at a so-so round is now more important than it was.

Have you considered setting up a tracker on excel or similar for your own handicap index, it might surprise you.

I am a fairly inconsistent player these days within the range of 2 under current handicap to 12 over. I have been keeping track of my own for some time now but is has remained fairly consistent within a few decimal points.

Stick in enough scores at or around your handicap and you will not see much of a change at least I have not.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you considered setting up a tracker on excel or similar for your own handicap index, it might surprise you.

I am a fairly inconsistent player these days within the range of 2 under current handicap to 12 over. I have been keeping track of my own for some time now but is has remained fairly consistent within a few decimal points.

Stick in enough scores at or around your handicap and you will not see much of a change at least I have not.

I have a spreadsheet running. It includes the gross score (adjusted as needed), and the order of expiry of the scores.

The new system is sensitive to the expiring scores. Your 20th last score falls out when you play another round, and clearly if that was a good score, you will need to replace it with something similar of your handicap will rise. If you are a 9, at a course with course rating 72, your 8 scores are probably between 75 and 87, say. Your 9th best round is an 88. If you have a bad round the day your 75 expires, your handicap will will go up by 1.6, because you lose 75, you add 88, so that is 13 averaged over the 8 which is a 1.625 handicap rise.

D

Deleted member 3432

I think I will be rocking up to comp and it will be a bit like christmas day, waiting to see what I'm playing off today :ROFLMAO:

Certainly won't be tracking my 20th score which at the rate I manage to play comps around work and injuries these days is about 3 and a half years years back.

Consistantcy has not been my friend the last few years so could be very interesting.....

Four comps this year consistantly inconsistant...NR and gross 75 in medal and 26 and 30 points in Stableford (n)

3 NR's and a gross 82 last year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Meant to be playing of 5 :cry:

Not much better looking further back, some car crash golf in there with not many completed rounds.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I will be rocking up to comp and it will be a bit like christmas day, waiting to see what I'm playing off today :ROFLMAO:

Certainly won't be tracking my 20th score which at the rate I manage to play comps around work and injuries these days is about 3 and a half years years back.

Consistantcy has not been my friend the last few years so could be very interesting.....

Four comps this year consistantly inconsistant...NR and gross 75 in medal and 26 and 30 points in Stableford (n)

3 NR's and a gross 82 last year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Meant to be playing of 5 :cry:

Not much better looking further back, some car crash golf in there with not many completed rounds.

You can have a few car crashes, they don't necessarily hurt your handicap. You can estimate your WHS handicap index quite easily, very easily if all on same course. Take the last 20 gross scores, NR's included. Find the best 8. Average the total by dividing by 8. Then deduct the course rating for your course/tees. You can find it here: USGA slope/course ratings. Then that number, which will be a single figure for you, multiply that by 113/slope of your course.

My best 8 added up to 666 (the number of the beast). All were same course, same tees, so 666/8 = 83.25. if you have Course rating is 72, so 83.25 - 72 = 11.25. Slope is 142, so 11.25 x 113/142 = 9.0 (to 1 decimal place).

If, as you say, you have had a bad run recently, your handicap probably will go up. But the you find your form, it can drop pretty quickly too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a spreadsheet running. It includes the gross score (adjusted as needed), and the order of expiry of the scores.

The new system is sensitive to the expiring scores. Your 20th last score falls out when you play another round, and clearly if that was a good score, you will need to replace it with something similar of your handicap will rise. If you are a 9, at a course with course rating 72, your 8 scores are probably between 75 and 87, say. Your 9th best round is an 88. If you have a bad round the day your 75 expires, your handicap will will go up by 1.6, because you lose 75, you add 88, so that is 13 averaged over the 8 which is a 1.625 handicap rise.

Best 8 Between 75 and 87 wow!! that is quite some range for best scores for a 9 handicap player.

I am currently 10. When I started in handicap terms my best 8 scores vary between 7 and 12 the 7 fell of a while ago and was replaced by a 12 and they now vary between 8 and 12 the actual index has only varied by 0.25 at most during the time I have been doing it.

I was also checking one of mates for him, also a 10 handicap, and his best in the same sort of range.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best 8 Between 75 and 87 wow!! that is quite some range for best scores for a 9 handicap player.

I am currently 10. When I started in handicap terms my best 8 scores vary between 7 and 12 the 7 fell of a while ago and was replaced by a 12 and they now vary between 8 and 12 the actual index has only varied by 0.25 at most during the time I have been doing it.

Well, on a par and course rating 72 with slope 142, an average differential of 11.3 gives an exact handicap of 9. That is an average (of 8) score of 83.3 so the range could well include a 87.