World Handicap System (WHS)

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, it's not apparent what the algorithm for calculating it is. I've got a rough idea but that's comparing my scores vs CSS and I don't know if that's how they're doing it. Would be nice to get an "official" estimate.

I used this a few weeks back. Filled out my last 20 competition rounds (can’t remember social, so just filled out details from comps) and let it calculate for me

https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that.

Sadly most of the courses for my last 20 rounds don’t have course/slope ratings. Looks like indexes can’t be calculated until all the courses are rated?

All of my records come from courses that do not have slope ratings. Even if they did they would not be shown in my handicap history that only comes in with the new system.

You can get a fairly good idea just using net differential from your handicap history. The calculation that England Golf will be simply based upon the same and I cannot see them bothering to go back and do the conversions just to come up with roughly the same answer.

When you read the WHS briefs they centre around the ongoing process once it has started and hence show slope ratings.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I did mine the other day just using CSS and the average came out as 9.25, I'm currently 9.3 on current system. As my previous course closed it'll never be rated.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that.

Sadly most of the courses for my last 20 rounds don’t have course/slope ratings. Looks like indexes can’t be calculated until all the courses are rated?

ah rubbish. I got all mine from the USGA database so was easy to fill out.

didnt like the answer it threw back at me though!!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I used this a few weeks back. Filled out my last 20 competition rounds (can’t remember social, so just filled out details from comps) and let it calculate for me

Just used this for my last 20 medal rounds at my home course and considering how awfully I've scored over the last couple of years (one cut and 4 buffers in the 20 rounds entered) I was surprised to see it give 14.8 as my handicap index, only 0.8 above my current handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Note that the 'Course Handicap Calculator' does not work for CONGU as Par takes no part in the calculation here. It should be entered as the same as Course Rating.

See also the official USGA version

https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of my records come from courses that do not have slope ratings. Even if they did they would not be shown in my handicap history that only comes in with the new system.

You can get a fairly good idea just using net differential from your handicap history. The calculation that England Golf will be simply based upon the same and I cannot see them bothering to go back and do the conversions just to come up with roughly the same answer.

When you read the WHS briefs they centre around the ongoing process once it has started and hence show slope ratings.
The transition will use slope for rated courses and an 'average slope' for courses yet to be rated.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I just used that calculator, when I put my index in, which I assume is my current handicap, then the slope, par etc, I get 4 extra shots!

However, I've just put 13 medal rounds in and it gives me a handicap of 3 shots less than my current handicap?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I just used that calculator, when I put my index in, which I assume is my current handicap, then the slope, par etc, I get 4 extra shots!

However, I've just put 13 medal rounds in and it gives me a handicap of 3 shots less than my current handicap?

No, you need to calculate your index first using the 13 rounds, then put that number to one decimal place in the top section, this will give you your course handicap

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No, you need to calculate your index first using the 13 rounds, then put that number to one decimal place in the top section, this will give you your course handicap

Thanks for the clarification.

I’ve now put the calculated index in over those 13 rounds, which is 2.2 shots lower than my actual handicap now, this gives me 1 extra shot on my home course to that of my current handicap and 4 shots greater than my index over those 13 rounds ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Note that the 'Course Handicap Calculator' does not work for CONGU as Par takes no part in the calculation here. It should be entered as the same as Course Rating.

See also the official USGA version

https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

I also noticed that the calculator asks for the score for each round and most players will not know to adjust for hole scores worse than nett double bogey.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I also noticed that the calculator asks for the score for each round and most players will not know to adjust for hole scores worse than nett double bogey.

so are you saying if you scored say a 9 on a par 4 with a shot you’d still put 9 and not adjust it, or do as I have done, and adjust it to 7.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so are you saying if you scored say a 9 on a par 4 with a shot you’d still put 9 and not adjust it, or do as I have done, and adjust it to 7.

Yes that is right. You would still put 9 on the card in a medal as the software adjusts the score for handicap purposes.

It depends on your handicap and how many strokes you would receive on the hole in Stableford terms

So on a par 4 where you received one shot nett double bogey = 7 gross. ie 7 -1 =6 = 0 points so any score above 7 gets rounded down to 7
if you received two shots it would be 8 gross 8 - 2=6= 0 points.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the par the same as the SSS (ie Course Rating)? If not, you will get the wrong answer. Enter par as the same as SSS/CR.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes that is right. You would still put 9 on the card in a medal as the software adjusts the score for handicap purposes.

It depends on your handicap and how many strokes you would receive on the hole in Stableford terms

So on a par 4 where you received one shot nett double bogey = 7 gross. ie 7 -1 =6 = 0 points so any score above 7 gets rounded down to 7

I know all that, I’m asking about the figure to put in the calculator, does it have to match the card or do we adjust it ourselves.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Is the par the same as the SSS (ie Course Rating)? If not, you will get the wrong answer. Enter par as the same as SSS/CR.

par is the same now, it never used to be, which was a pain, but thankfully it’s now 73/73.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

I thought the question was re calculating a handicap index. The web site (https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html) only asks for the 18 hole total score so cannot know about net double bogey.
That adjustment has to be made before entering 18 hole totals into the system

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the question was re calculating a handicap index. The web site (https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html) only asks for the 18 hole total score so cannot know about net double bogey.
That adjustment has to be made before entering 18 hole totals into the system

Which is my point. If a player is going to use this calculator they cannot simply put the round score in if there are hole scores on the card that require the nett double bogey adjustment. They have to put the adjusted score in which they must do for themselves if they are just keeping their own records. If they are taking the score from their handicap record then the must use the appropriate (already) adjusted figures.

I know all that, I’m asking about the figure to put in the calculator, does it have to match the card or do we adjust it ourselves.

See above