World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, on a par and course rating 72 with slope 142, an average differential of 11.3 gives an exact handicap of 9. That is an average (of 8) score of 83.3 so the range could well include a 87.

Having slept on it. I would add that one of the major points is of the WHS is that if you put in enough cards on a regular basis it your Handicap Index should reflect current ability more quickly than the UHS (with the UHS it takes ten bad rounds to get a one shot increase) and without a handicap review you might never be at the handicap level to suit ability.

Now if the 75 you had was a one off, scored say a year ago and was an exceptional score or thereabouts it is natural for it to fall off and bring you back to a handicap index to suit your current ability.

I now remember back in March doing an illustrative record for a similarly handicapped player who was declining in ability and with a space of 3 records being added to their record they saw a 1.5 increase in their handicap index.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
You can have a few car crashes, they don't necessarily hurt your handicap. You can estimate your WHS handicap index quite easily, very easily if all on same course. Take the last 20 gross scores, NR's included. Find the best 8. Average the total by dividing by 8. Then deduct the course rating for your course/tees. You can find it here: USGA slope/course ratings. Then that number, which will be a single figure for you, multiply that by 113/slope of your course.

My best 8 added up to 666 (the number of the beast). All were same course, same tees, so 666/8 = 83.25. if you have Course rating is 72, so 83.25 - 72 = 11.25. Slope is 142, so 11.25 x 113/142 = 9.0 (to 1 decimal place).

If, as you say, you have had a bad run recently, your handicap probably will go up. But the you find your form, it can drop pretty quickly too.

My best adds up to 673. All same course all same tee alos. Course rating 75.1 slope is 139.

673/8 = 84.125 - 75.1 = 9.025x113/139 = 7.3

My club handicap right now is 15.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You can see your current handicap on HowDidIDo, IG and Master Scoreboard now.

I thought that none of the ISV's were going to be allowed to publish handicaps and that everything would be done through the DotGolf system...hence why I thought there would be a specifically developed App for the WHS.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Question...

if a player currently holds both a CONGU handicap, and a handicap from another authority such as the EGA, which will take precedence when determining a players initial Handicap Index under the WHS on November 2nd?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought that none of the ISV's were going to be allowed to publish handicaps and that everything would be done through the DotGolf system...hence why I thought there would be a specifically developed App for the WHS.
The issue of player's Handicap Record is subject to Golf Union licencing. At least one ISV is not yet aware of what exactly they will be licenced to offer on this topic. I can't believe that they will not be permitted to publish the Index

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
My best adds up to 673. All same course all same tee alos. Course rating 75.1 slope is 139.

Are you sure, that would mean your best eight scores average 6 under your current CONGU handicap? I am not sure that's possible, you would have to have started with a handicap someway in access of 54 to begin with by my reckoning.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Course Rating 75.1? Where do you play? Has the CR shot up from the SSS?

Holywood in county down. I just googled holywood course rating and that's what it said 75.1.

Are you sure, that would mean your best eight scores average 6 under your current CONGU handicap? I am not sure that's possible, you would have to have started with a handicap someway in access of 54 to begin with by my reckoning.

I've no idea, I just copied Ethans calculations to get mine.

Swango1980

Visit site
Have you considered setting up a tracker on excel or similar for your own handicap index, it might surprise you.

I am a fairly inconsistent player these days within the range of 2 under current handicap to 12 over. I have been keeping track of my own for some time now but is has remained fairly consistent within a few decimal points.

Stick in enough scores at or around your handicap and you will not see much of a change at least I have not.
I have.

Current Handicap = 8.5

WHS Index = 9.6
Course Handicap Whites at my place = 11.2

If my next round is the same as my last (not very good), my Index will go to 10.3 (+0.7) and my Course Handicap to 12.1.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Should the calculation be 139/113 rather than 113/139?

this would give a handicap of 11.1

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I ended up with an index of 5.7, giving a course handicap of 7 going by that website and the figures I can find for course rating and slope. My current exact handicap is 6.1 so that all seems reasonably well in order, although I'm suspicious of the course rating I found on google as the club doesn't show up in the USGA index.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Question...

if a player currently holds both a CONGU handicap, and a handicap from another authority such as the EGA, which will take precedence when determining a players initial Handicap Index under the WHS on November 2nd?

1.4b/3 – Player Who Belongs to Multiple Golf Clubs Within Different
Jurisdictions Resulting in More Than One Handicap Index
Rule 1.1 states that the purpose of the World Handicap System is, among other
things, to give as many golfers as possible the opportunity to obtain and maintain
a Handicap Index.
Where a player is a member of a golf club located in a different jurisdiction from
the location of their home club, the player may be required to hold a separate
Handicap Index issued by the Authorized Association responsible for
handicapping within the different jurisdiction. While such a requirement is
discouraged, in order to ensure the same Handicap Index is issued by both
Authorized Associations, it is the player’s responsibility to return all acceptable
scores to both their home club and the golf club that is located in the different
jurisdiction.
Should there ever be a discrepancy between a player’s Handicap Index as issued
by different Authorized Associations, the Handicap Index within the jurisdiction
where the round is being played should be used. When playing outside of either
jurisdiction, the lowest Handicap Index should be used.