World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not wanting to add further confusion, but I imagine the calculation of Handicap Index will be further complicated by having a mix of rounds played off different tee's in a players best 8 from 20 and therefore different course ratings?

It does not matter adjustments will be made against the course rating which will normally be (as you say ) different between tees and a players Course handicap will often be different between the tees. Adjustments will be made by comparing the Coures Rating as modified by the paying condition calculation against the players net differential.

Even under CONGU UHS, which uses the course CSS, which will often be different between tees.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you play any course, including your own, your handicap adjusts to the relative difficulty (as measured by slope) of that course. It will go up for Carnoustie and down for Pitch and Putt GC.
(as measured by slope and Course Rating)

Despite the mathematical complexity of this system, it is conceptually fairly reasonable.
Agreed

D

Deleted member 3432

I've had a look at my handicap record and it certainly looks like handicaps will be quite volatile...

As I mentioned before, I don't have course/slope ratings so can't calc my handicap exactly as WHS will do. However, simply using the gross differential between my score and CSS I come away with 0.75. Interestingly, in four rounds one of my better scores will drop off - 1 under CSS - and be replaced with a not very good score - 5 over CSS - (assuming I don't better that in the next four rounds, which hopefully I will). That one change will double my handicap index (under this crude method) to 1.5.

That seems like a big change on paper. Although arguably, I guess if I don't score better than 5 over in my next four rounds maybe it should jump up. Will take a bit of getting used to, I think.

I would kill for a not very good score of 5 over css.

My not very good scores are either a series of NR holes or its that bad I feel I have to leave the course.

Had more NR's in the last 2-3 years than in the previous 30 years combined.

My good golf is still threatening par golf but my B game is nearer 90 :ROFLMAO::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I left my last club during lockdown, I only joined there last September and with the winter we had, played a handful of comps. All scores there were on intelligent golf. Since I left, I’ve not been able to log into IG at all and so don’t have a log of the scores I recorded sept-March. It was the first course I joined and so started off with a high hcp of 30, always felt it was too high, regularly scored 40+ points but the comps were all non qual from December so never had a hcp reduction.

The club I’m at now is on HDID, I’ve recorded 3 competition rounds since joining, but HDID only shows scores from my current club. I asked for a hcp review and was cut to 20.

Any ideas how I can access the scores from my last club so I can get an idea of what my whs might come out at?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Your handicap secretary at your new club could get them for you from the CDH (assuming he is inclined to do so and not snowed under with a mountain of work!!!).

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had a look at my handicap record and it certainly looks like handicaps will be quite volatile...

As I mentioned before, I don't have course/slope ratings so can't calc my handicap exactly as WHS will do. However, simply using the gross differential between my score and CSS I come away with 0.75.k.

It is my understadning that the WHS, when calculating your initial Handicap Index using your historical record, will use the CSS of past qualifying rounds to determine your gross differentials. Only new cards from November 2nd onwards will use the Course Rating in the gross differential calculations. So your calculations are probably more accurate than you think!!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I left my last club during lockdown, I only joined there last September and with the winter we had, played a handful of comps. All scores there were on intelligent golf. Since I left, I’ve not been able to log into IG at all and so don’t have a log of the scores I recorded sept-March. It was the first course I joined and so started off with a high hcp of 30, always felt it was too high, regularly scored 40+ points but the comps were all non qual from December so never had a hcp reduction.

The club I’m at now is on HDID, I’ve recorded 3 competition rounds since joining, but HDID only shows scores from my current club. I asked for a hcp review and was cut to 20.

Any ideas how I can access the scores from my last club so I can get an idea of what my whs might come out at?
You should go the Members section of England Golf and join.

https://www.englandgolf.org/my-account/become-a-member/

All your scores are on the CDH.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve had a look on there and can’t see it. I registered a couple of weeks ago and my CDH is on there but I can’t see anything to do with previous scores. I’ll email them...

Cheers anyway ??

You cannot see your historical scores on that site. You can only see your handicap progression.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You should go the Members section of England Golf and join.

https://www.englandgolf.org/my-account/become-a-member/

All your scores are on the CDH.

They may be on the CDH but they are not visible to you under "my account". I've often wondered what the point of the "my-account" section is because it delivers no value whatsoever, other than allowing you to print out a "card" with your CDH number on it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was told today that as our rollup uses the club system (IG) to return our scores then the fact that we use a recognised golf app AUTOMATICALLY means our scores are included for WHS purposes whether we like it or not. Is that the case. Most of us in the rollup do not want our rollup scores to count - our roll up is just a bit of fun with off putting banter being de rigueur. Plus as we do gimmes would that make every roll up round a NR.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was told today that as our rollup uses the club system (IG) to return our scores then the fact that we use a recognised golf app AUTOMATICALLY means our scores are included for WHS purposes whether we like it or not. Is that the case. Most of us in the rollup do not want our rollup scores to count - our roll up is just a bit of fun with off putting banter being de rigueur. Plus as we do gimmes would that make every roll up round a NR.
The transition only uses Qualifying scores (as defined by CONGU).

Who gave you that information?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The transition only uses Qualifying scores (as defined by CONGU).

Who gave you that information?
The organiser of our rollup - who will have been in discussions with our club management team over it.

I am assuming that a qualifying score as defined by CONGU does not make reference to the inclusion in ‘scope’ of WHS of any and all scores entered using a recognised system/app. Also - you refer to a ‘transition’ - does the use of an app kick in after the transition period?

In any case - from your answer I take it that what our organiser has been told is not the case. And that we can continue to play our rollup without scores being included in whs.

He also told me that if we chose to NOT use the app for our scoring we’d be fine. But I note that to manage tee bookings for the rollup, we have set up our rollup on our system in the same way as if it were a formal club comp.

Last edited: