World Handicap System (WHS)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I left my last club during lockdown, I only joined there last September and with the winter we had, played a handful of comps. All scores there were on intelligent golf. Since I left, I’ve not been able to log into IG at all and so don’t have a log of the scores I recorded sept-March. It was the first course I joined and so started off with a high hcp of 30, always felt it was too high, regularly scored 40+ points but the comps were all non qual from December so never had a hcp reduction.

The club I’m at now is on HDID, I’ve recorded 3 competition rounds since joining, but HDID only shows scores from my current club. I asked for a hcp review and was cut to 20.

Any ideas how I can access the scores from my last club so I can get an idea of what my whs might come out at?

If all the comps from the previous clubs were non qualifiers they will not be on you on your handicap record and will therefore not be part of your WHS Handicap Index calculation.

At present only the 3 qualifiers from you current club will count so at this moment it is very simple it is the best of your 3 minus 2 shots.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was told today that as our rollup uses the club system (IG) to return our scores then the fact that we use a recognised golf app AUTOMATICALLY means our scores are included for WHS purposes whether we like it or not. Is that the case. Most of us in the rollup do not want our rollup scores to count - our roll up is just a bit of fun with off putting banter being de rigueur. Plus as we do gimmes would that make every roll up round a NR.

On going - scores from roll ups and swindles can count towards your handicap record provided they are played in accordance with the rules of golf so any hole where you have not hole out should be recorded as a 'no score' and a penalty score may be applied.

It would very depend on how your club sets up the swindle/comp in the first place. I.e it should set it up as Non Qualifier but anybody who wants their score to count should submit the card as a preregistered round.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys. The responses suggest to me clearly that although our rollup is set up on our booking and score return system, that DOES NOT in itself mean that the rollup competition is a qualifier in the context of WBS unless we specifically declare it to be.

My issue with what I was being told was that the simple fact that we use the IG app and system as we do for roll ups then THAT, with no other declaration by the rollup organiser, counted as pre-registration and made the rollup comp a WHS Qualifier and there was nothing we could do about it. And that just didn’t seem right.

The final paragraph Of 2.1a definitely puts rollup comp In scope of WHS, but the para then states clearly that the handicap committee has the final say WHETHER IT IS OR NOT, and it can specifically exclude our rollup comp from being a qualifier - regardless of use or not of our system.

Last edited:

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been trying to do my 'initial' handicap as though I'm not going to play any more rounds this year, and wondered if someone could help.

Do we know if it takes CSS from the previous rounds into account? I'll post my best 8 scores out of the last 20 with SSS and CSS below, see what you guys come out with.

I'm currently a 4.1 handicap, my course is a par 72, SSS 72 off the yellows, SSS 73 off the whites

Score SSS CSS
72 72 72
74 73 74
74 73 74
76 73 74
77 72 72
77 73 76 (RO)
78 73 73
79 73 74

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been trying to do my 'initial' handicap as though I'm not going to play any more rounds this year, and wondered if someone could help.

Do we know if it takes CSS from the previous rounds into account? I'll post my best 8 scores out of the last 20 with SSS and CSS below, see what you guys come out with.

I'm currently a 4.1 handicap, my course is a par 72, SSS 72 off the yellows, SSS 73 off the whites

Score SSS CSS
72 72 72
74 73 74
74 73 74
76 73 74
77 72 72
77 73 76 (RO)
78 73 73
79 73 74

As I understand it, CSS will be taken into account for the initial WHS handicap, thereafter it will be course rating plus a different sort of weather adjustment whose name I have forgotten.

The calculation for now is gross - CSS averaged over the 8. Your differentials are 0, 0, 0, 2, 5, 1, 5, 5, total 18/8, average is 2.25.

Then you multiply that by 113/slope, which will almost certainly reduce it further as it sounds like your course has a decent slope.

Happy to be corrected if I have got the calculations wrong here.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. The responses suggest to me clearly that although our rollup is set up on our booking and score return system, that DOES NOT in itself mean that the rollup competition is a qualifier in the context of WBS unless we specifically declare it to be.

My issue with what I was being told was that the simple fact that we use the IG app and system as we do for roll ups then THAT, with no other declaration by the rollup organiser, counted as pre-registration and made the rollup comp a WHS Qualifier and there was nothing we could do about it. And that just didn’t seem right.

The final paragraph Of 2.1a definitely puts rollup comp In scope of WHS, but the para then states clearly that the handicap committee has the final say WHETHER IT IS OR NOT, and it can specifically exclude our rollup comp from being a qualifier - regardless of use or not of our system.

Or it could be seen as a regular organised event with other players.

I think it’s about compramise and have come to an agreement with the guys that organise our clubs Friday roll up that one a month, notified in advance, will be deemed a qualifier. This gives a balance between being able to play social golf and being able to play a qualifier.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Score SSS CSS
72 72 72
74 73 74
74 73 74
76 73 74
77 72 72
77 73 76 (RO)
78 73 73
79 73 74
Your WHS Score differential for each round is:

(113 / Slope Rating) x (Gross Score (adjusted for ndb) - CSS) - calculated to 1 dec place rounded.

Your Index would then be the average of the Score Differentials - rounded to 1 dec place.

But you haven't given us the Slope Rating

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, to get the handicap index it is 113/slope. To get back to the course index you multiply the handicap index by slope/113, although these two cancel each other out and you can just go back to the average differential.

I read your post

As I understand it, CSS will be taken into account for the initial WHS handicap, thereafter it will be course rating plus a different sort of weather adjustment whose name I have forgotten.

The calculation for now is gross - CSS averaged over the 8. Your differentials are 0, 0, 0, 2, 5, 1, 5, 5, total 18/8, average is 2.25.

Then you multiply that by 113/slope, which will almost certainly reduce it further as it sounds like your course has a decent slope.

Happy to be corrected if I have got the calculations wrong here.

as advising xreyuk of his Course Handicap

Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating ÷ 113)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a new player, this is all very confusing. I thought I understood what a handicap was before I started playing.

It will be very simple and easy when it all starts

Step 1 Check you handicap index via your computer, smartphone app or clubs computer terminal. (You only need to check it again if you have submitted a qualifying score since you last checked it).

Step 2 Check which tee you will be playing from

Step 3 Look at the charts that will at the club for that tee and convert your Handicap to index to your Course Handicap.

Step 4 Social golf go out and play

Step 5 Competition Play. Check the stroke allowance for the competition and work out your Playing Handicap. Go out and play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will be very simple and easy when it all starts

Step 1 Check you handicap index via your computer, smartphone app or clubs computer terminal. (You only need to check it again if you have submitted a qualifying score since you last checked it).

Step 2 Check which tee you will be playing from

Step 3 Look at the charts that will at the club for that tee and convert your Handicap to index to your Course Handicap.

Step 4 Social golf go out and play

Step 5 Competition Play. Check the stroke allowance for the competition and work out your Playing Handicap. Go out and play.
In most/many clubs all that information will be on the screen when you check in to play. And even better. if your club has an appropriate printer, your card (or a label) will be printed with your appropriate handicap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whs guidelines on our website say it will be mandatory to submit all singles competition scores, but optional to submit social/recreational scores. I am still not sure whether a social/recreational Singles competitive score MUST be included - our rollup is a singles stableford competition set up as a comp on our club system - and we return our scores through the system app.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whs guidelines on our website say it will be mandatory to submit all singles competition scores, but optional to submit social/recreational scores. I am still not sure whether a social/recreational Singles competitive score MUST be included - our rollup is a singles stableford competition set up as a comp on our club system - and we return our scores through the system app.
Sounds more like an officially run comp explained like that and possibly should have always counted as a qualifier unless you had gimmes decided between yourself about bunkers etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds more like an officially run comp explained like that and possibly should have always counted as a qualifier unless you had gimmes decided between yourself about bunkers etc.
It isn’t officially run - it is run by the roll-up organiser and he has no standing in the club. And as it is a rollup and played for fun within any group of three or four we can gives putts...though we do so with consideration of all others playing in the individual stableford. So no stupid gimmes. We also run our own rollup handicap adjustment system so many of us play in the rollup off a lower handicap than our official handicap.

We use the club system primarily to reserve the tee times that the club had agreed that we can have. And the easiest way of doing that and capturing our scores is setting the rollup up as a competition in the context of our system and then we can use the app to return our scores as we cannot all hang around while all the 10 rollup groups come in.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It isn’t officially run - it is run by the roll-up organiser and he has no standing in the club. And as it is a rollup and played for fun within any group of three or four we can gives putts...though we do so with consideration of all others playing in the individual stableford. So no stupid gimmes. We also run our own rollup handicap adjustment system so many of us play in the rollup off a lower handicap than our official handicap.

We use the club system primarily to reserve the tee times that the club had agreed that we can have. And the easiest way of doing that and capturing our scores is setting the rollup up as a competition in the context of our system and then we can use the app to return our scores as we cannot all hang around while all the 10 rollup groups come in.
Presumably they are currently set up as Non-Qualifiers.