World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what I was getting at, obviously in a poor way. :)

I've just calculated my initial WHS index which comes out at 7.6 if the CSS is used (I believe this is what is being used) or 7.7 if it's the course rating. I think that gives me a course handicap of 9 for my course depending on how the rounding is done for course handicap. My course has a slope of 139 so the course rating index of 7.7 works out at 9.47, if that is rounded to the nearest whole number then it is 9, but if they round to 1 decimal place first, then to the nearest number it would be 10 (9.5 to 1 dp, then 10 to whole number). CSS based index of 7.6 gives me a course handicap of 9 which is the same as my current CONGU handicap of 9.1

I've got a differential of 8.2 dropping off with my next round but the next counting differential doesn't drop off for 5 rounds (which is a 5.7 so I need a really good round there), so I've got a few rounds to get a decent score in again. Going to be interesting with this new system if you are tracking your handicap as some weeks will feel like you have a free shot at lowering your handicap with no risk of going up, others will feel like you need a good round if one of your best differentials are about to fall off.
Yes and yes

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would be interested to know how your handicap/competition software copes with your "unofficial" handicap adjustments.
I don't know. Before starting to enter our score we can check and adjust as necessary our handicap. But does that flow through to my official club handicap record? I don't know tbh. If it did it would make a mess of things - but if the software knows that the comp is a non-qualifier maybe it just ignores any handicap adjustment I might make before entering my score - as well as ignoring my final score. I am guessing that that is what happens (we use Intelligent Golf)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know. Before starting to enter our score we can check and adjust as necessary our handicap. But does that flow through to my official club handicap record? I don't know tbh. If it did it would make a mess of things - but if the software knows that the comp is a non-qualifier maybe it just ignores any handicap adjustment I might make before entering my score - as well as ignoring my final score. I am guessing that that is what happens (we use Intelligent Golf)

Within Intelligent Golf you can adjust the players handicap for the purposes of that round only. This would normally be done either by the person entering the cards manually or the person checking it all before the comp is finalised.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Within Intelligent Golf you can adjust the players handicap for the purposes of that round only. This would normally be done either by the person entering the cards manually or the person checking it all before the comp is finalised.
I guess that is what we do individually when we can check and adjust our handicap before we start entering our score. And as the comp is set up as a non-Q it doesn't flow through to our club handicap record.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm back contemplating WHS again....

Does anyone know if much analysis has been done to compare current handicaps with anticipated new WHS ones?

I did a few mates (10 to 20 handicap) based upon gross differential and most Course Handicaps were within a shot (all a slight increase, me included).

I also looked at the worst player in our group, currently 36 looks like going out to 46.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't check at the moment but I'm pretty sure in Handicapmaster you can reduce the playing handicap for the competition you are processing but you cannot increase it.
Is this the sort of situation you would use it for?

The Handicap Committee or other body organising a competition at a club which is not the
player’s Home Club may, if it considers that his handicap is too high, reduce that handicap.
Any reduction made under this clause shall apply only to the competition for which it is made.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Could someone advise me where to look to find the slope rating for my home course please?just so I can work out my whs hcap (well ish)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this the sort of situation you would use it for?

The Handicap Committee or other body organising a competition at a club which is not the
player’s Home Club may, if it considers that his handicap is too high, reduce that handicap.
Any reduction made under this clause shall apply only to the competition for which it is made.

Not really, more for:
players who have entered a handicap on the card which is lower than the actual handicap.
players who have played Away better than handicap but no result reached CDH

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really, more for:
players who have entered a handicap on the card which is lower than the actual handicap.
Wouldn't this only be for competition result. The correct handicap should be used for handicap purposes

Appendix P
Score entered on card on a hole is lower than actual premeditated score - Accept adjusted score unless breach

players who have played Away better than handicap but no result reached CDH
Not sure why you enter a lower handicap for this situation

Gowferdee

Visit site
How do I go about getting my first handicap - do I have to join a golf club? Tend to play variety of courses, not sure if joining a club is the only way.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't this only be for competition result. The correct handicap should be used for handicap purposes

Appendix P
Score entered on card on a hole is lower than actual premeditated score - Accept adjusted score unless breach

Not sure why you enter a lower handicap for this situation

First point - yes, I do know that.

Second point - the handicap that the software will show is that prior to any adjustment necessary from an Away score which merits a reduction.

My original point was that the software will allow the current handicap held in the database to be reduced but not increased. If the roll up rules involve reductions and increases - and many do - the software could not handle increases.

Springveldt

Visit site
Have now found an improving low-handicap guy who's also going to get cut. Gonna be scratch, fair play to him.

Is it just looking like cat 1 players might be getting cut? My sample size definitely isn't big enough!
I’m cat 2, currently 9.1. As it stands just now my WHS index will be 7.6 but my course handicap will be 9.

I guess that’s a cut since your index is your handicap.

I’m also pretty good at hitting my buffer, I’ve been buffer or better in 11 of my last 20 rounds. I usually have 3 bad shots a round that kill any hope of getting a cut.

Springveldt

Visit site
Do you only ever play at one course from the same tees all the time?
Your course handicap will vary from course to course and from white tees to yellow tees etc.
For qualifiers yes, I only ever play the one course from the white tees. Should have said "home course handicap" rather than "course handicap". :)

I'm aware that my course handicap will change, that's why I was saying I've basically had a cut if my WHS index is 7.6 while my CONGU is 9.1

Currently it doesn't matter what course/tees I play, I'm a 9 handicap no matter what but under WHS I could play a course/tees that is 113 slope and I'll be an 8 rather than the 9 I am now.