World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? why would they do that?

We have lots of players who have been putting in qualifying and supplementary scores since lockdown and have 20+ scores to populate their playing records. Why go back to 2018 when it's not necessary?

I think by far a bigger issue is the use of default CR & SR where they can't establish the tees used to register a score. Should the tee not be clearly identifiable then the Course Rating will be equal to SSS and the slope will be allocated at 125.

We have been told by the county our handicap committee won't get to see the handicaps until late October so will have no real chance of review and by the sound of it little understanding of the basis for the calculation. Thanks WHS!

Beginning to think this process isn't very good.
where they can't establish the tees used to register a score

Why wouldn't they know?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But if they have played "20 scores in the last couple of months" why go back to 2018. The Caps apply to the lowest point in the last 12 months and as there were few qualifiers over last winter going back further is largely irrelevant.

If they gave us time the handicap committees can look at out-of-line situations without getting inundated.

The system wont go back to 2018 if you've had 20 scores within 3 months..... It will only go back that far if its in the last recorded/ competitive 20 rounds you've played?

If your historic "low" in the last 12 months is way off this (eg 5 capper shooting to 20), committees still can have an input so we have no bandits. Its really so simple it hurts.

Swango1980

Visit site
The system wont go back to 2018 if you've had 20 scores within 3 months..... It will only go back that far if its in the last recorded/ competitive 20 rounds you've played?
I think that is incorrect, based on the subject of this discussion (see post 879 by rulefan). Yes, only your last 20 scores will be used to initially work out your index, BUT scores before that will be used to set the starting points for the hard and soft caps to be utilised in that calculation. So, if your last 20 scores give you a handicap index of 20, but the 20 scores before that (after Jan 2018) would have given you a handicap of 10, then your Index would be 15, not 20, due to the hard cap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly, thanks for your input on this thread. I've learnt a lot from your posts (y)

Just a question re the above, I heard that the initial calculation was going to be systematic using the database of individual (handicap qualifying) scores that each club has on each player. Ie. Every recorded score on IG or HDID ? Committee's can then make adjustments they see fit. Is this your understanding also ?

Also, for the calculation, I presume NR's in any qualifying score will be recorded as a nett double bogey ?

It will be every recorded score on your Central Database of Handicaps file

Re the last question it depends on what you mean. If you posted the individual scores on a hole by hole basis with one or more NRs those NRs are converted to nett double bogey. Ongoing with the WHS there will a slightly different method available depending on how many holes have been played.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will be every recorded score on your Central Database of Handicaps file

Re the last question it depends on what you mean. If you posted the individual scores on a hole by hole basis with one or more NRs those NRs are converted to nett double bogey. Ongoing with the WHS there will a slightly different method available depending on how many holes have been played.

Thanks, understood re NR's.

Re the cards, so even if its a 13 hole , non qualifying competition in Winter , it will be used ? We play off mats in Winter but the scores are still recorded on IG.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, understood re NR's.

Re the cards, so even if its a 13 hole , non qualifying competition in Winter , it will be used ? We play off mats in Winter but the scores are still recorded on IG.

As already said by others if it is a non qualifier it will not count.

Using tee mats either as the teeing area or carried and used to hit off from the fairway to protect the course does not make a competition a non qualifier.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
where they can't establish the tees used to register a score

Why wouldn't they know?
We have 6 variations on courses based on 3 nine hole loops. All are used for qualifying competitions throughout the season. They are defined in our handicap software by name as well as by tee, par & SSS. I have recently input these into the England Golf database as requested but the naming convention mandated means I couldn't match the names. Thus I struggle to see how the 2 can be reconciled.

To make things interesting - 2 of the 9s are par 36, SSS 36 and have 4 tees. However, have slightly different CR & SR.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What happens to somebody who has not put in a competitive score since January 2019?

It will take account of all your scores going back to January 2018.
If there are less than 20 in total it is not the best 8 it is an increasing scale depending on the number

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Once a person has a handicap they only lose it if they are no longer a member of an affiliated club.
So I said January 19 and you told me it was January 18.

If they had not put in a competitive card since January 18 from what you are saying they would have the same handicap which will PROBABLY be lower than under the new system.

There is a guy at our Club who has possibly not played competitive golf for a number of years and had an increase this year as he wrote on health grounds. Is it reasonable to expect him to retain his handicap?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I said January 19 and you told me it was January 18.

If they had not put in a competitive card since January 18 from what you are saying they would have the same handicap which will PROBABLY be lower than under the new system.

There is a guy at our Club who has possibly not played competitive golf for a number of years and had an increase this year as he wrote on health grounds. Is it reasonable to expect him to retain his handicap?

To confirm it is all scores since January 2018

If a person has no scores in since January 2018 there will given a Handicap Index base upon the handicap they have

Rulefan says it will be done by adding to their handicap record 3 scores equal to their handicap which means they will get a HI of 2 shots less than that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does such a person need a handicap?

Yes, even if it is just for social golf amongst their mates. When we published that players without 3 scores since 1/1/2018 would not be given a H.I. we got quite a few complaints from players who assumed they would lose their handicap.

D

Deleted member 3432

Out of interest for our residents experts.

When looking at comp rounds what happens where the css is R/O when looking at the last 20 rounds?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest for our residents experts.

When looking at comp rounds what happens where the css is R/O when looking at the last 20 rounds?
The transition program won't be concerned re the effect (or non effect) on the player's handicap in the CONGU round. The WHS calculation is based on the gross differential from the CSS