World Handicap System - submitting own scores

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where I play the players must register at the club for playing a supplementary score by signing a book in the pro shop , the card must be signed by a marker and the card must be submitted before the end of the day.
What if the player is from another club?

Will they have to register with your pro or just register using the terminal in the clubhouse (or mobile)?

Swango1980

Visit site
Depressing to see the lack of trust some seem to have in fellow golfers.
Not about trust. It is about what England Golf will expect from club committees in processing general rounds. It seems like they will be expecting a lot more than what is expected in USA (I.e. if England Golf insist scorecards are submitted and correct).

Trust is a side issue, that is more of a question to golfers in general. I.e what are their expectations?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not about trust. It is about what England Golf will expect from club committees in processing general rounds. It seems like they will be expecting a lot more than what is expected in USA (I.e. if England Golf insist scorecards are submitted and correct).

Trust is a side issue, that is more of a question to golfers in general. I.e what are their expectations?
EG will expect committees to do their best, just like now. As to players expectations, they can only be measured by how committees and clubs keep their members regularly updated and informed.

We have already held basic briefings and sent out links to members on the WHS.

What is your club doing?

Swango1980

Visit site
EG will expect committees to do their best, just like now. As to players expectations, they can only be measured by how committees and clubs keep their members regularly updated and informed.

We have already held basic briefings and sent out links to members on the WHS.

What is your club doing?
I have given a brief to committee members. We attended the WHs workshop last week. We have not publicised anything to club members up to that point, as we didn't want to give out dud information, particularly if certain things change. England gold instructed us to hold back just now, as they will issue out better information for club members (they say the workshop information is far too detailed for general members). So, we will be looking to publicise more to club members in a month or so. This will involve emails and information on notice board at a minimum

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My impression is that the US are out of step with the rest of the world in their rather lax attitude to general play scores. ."This is how we have always done it" together with the type of club structure in the US will make it very difficult to get the players to change.
But I don't think it will matter a lot as I suspect not many UK players play competitive golf over there.

Swango1980

Visit site
My impression is that the US are out of step with the rest of the world in their rather lax attitude to general play scores. ."This is how we have always done it" together with the type of club structure in the US will make it very difficult to get the players to change.
But I don't think it will matter a lot as I suspect not many UK players play competitive golf over there.
I agree, I've always thought it is quite lax over in the US.

But, on the flip side, does our club structure in the UK lend itself to processing many general round scorecards? A few supplementary cards is one thing, but what if we get to the stage where dozens, if not hundreds of general round scores are entered every week in summer?

If you have a full time secretary, or maybe even a pro, then they could do all this processing and checking (although I'm sure they keep themselves busy enough). But, at other clubs, you may have one person responsible for handicaps, who has a full time job and volunteers the role, and comes up once a week to check for new members, supplementary cards, etc. I can say now, they will not have the time to process all these scorecards and go looking for missing ones. In that sense, it surely must he inevitable that scorecards will no longer be a requirement and everything will be down to trust.

What absolutely cannot be said, however, is that it is expected the amount of general rounds submitted will just be the same as it is now. Not when England Golf themselves are encouraging clubs to tell their members to submit as many scores as possible. Not when England golf are heavily recommending you get members who play in informal swindles to submit their cards for handicap. And, they are asking for this even before WHS comes effective, so that players have a good portfolio of scores for their first WHS handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, I've always thought it is quite lax over in the US.

But, on the flip side, does our club structure in the UK lend itself to processing many general round scorecards? A few supplementary cards is one thing, but what if we get to the stage where dozens, if not hundreds of general round scores are entered every week in summer?

If you have a full time secretary, or maybe even a pro, then they could do all this processing and checking (although I'm sure they keep themselves busy enough). But, at other clubs, you may have one person responsible for handicaps, who has a full time job and volunteers the role, and comes up once a week to check for new members, supplementary cards, etc. I can say now, they will not have the time to process all these scorecards and go looking for missing ones. In that sense, it surely must he inevitable that scorecards will no longer be a requirement and everything will be down to trust.

What absolutely cannot be said, however, is that it is expected the amount of general rounds submitted will just be the same as it is now. Not when England Golf themselves are encouraging clubs to tell their members to submit as many scores as possible. Not when England golf are heavily recommending you get members who play in informal swindles to submit their cards for handicap. And, they are asking for this even before WHS comes effective, so that players have a good portfolio of scores for their first WHS handicap.
Why do you think handicap secretaries should check all cards? If they should only check general play cards, what makes them different to competition cards? Do you believe that that is normal practice now? Are players really that incompetent or dishonest?

Swango1980

Visit site
Why do you think handicap secretaries should check all cards? If they should only check general play cards, what makes them different to competition cards? Do you believe that that is normal practice now? Are players really that incompetent or dishonest?
Do you think supplementary cards should not be checked, or that it doesn't really matter? If so, why bother with a card?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you think supplementary cards should not be checked, or that it doesn't really matter? If so, why bother with a card?
a) The RoG currently require a card
b) Back up in case of disputes
c) A player may not want to carry an input device (phone app, gps app) but would rather enter by reference to his card on return to the clubhouse.

Swango1980

Visit site
a) The RoG currently require a card
b) Back up in case of disputes
c) A player may not want to carry an input device (phone app, gps app) but would rather enter by reference to his card on return to the clubhouse.
A card must also be submitted under CONGU, otherwise 0.1 must be added to handicap.

I presumed that, as handicap secretary, it would be my responsibility to ensure that card had been filled in correctly, and score input correctly, before validating score.

But, you suggest I dont really need to check it at all?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A card must also be submitted under CONGU, otherwise 0.1 must be added to handicap.

I presumed that, as handicap secretary, it would be my responsibility to ensure that card had been filled in correctly, and score input correctly, before validating score.

But, you suggest I dont really need to check it at all?
Where does it say you must or should?
Incidentally, they use card scanners in Australia.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't require you to check the details. The player enters his score asap (as required by WHS) and puts his card in the box. At your leisure, check the entry log against the cards in the box.

Do you check the scores on all comp cards and that all entries have been returned?

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
It doesn't require you to check the details. The player enters his score asap (as required by WHS) and puts his card in the box. At your leisure, check the entry log against the cards in the box.

Do you check the scores on all comp cards and that all entries have been returned?

For competitions, we check all cards have been returned, yes. Otherwise they get an NR. Do we check every score? No, only the top scores. However, if a wrong score is typed in, a player will often highlight it as they all know what each other got. If not, it will often still be a 0.1 increase anyway. Worst case, the difference will be 0.1 to their handicap. However, we do check ALL cards are signed and have the handicaps on them.

Well, I am glad that, as handicap secretary, I can officially not check the details of a supplementary card, not check whether it is signed or correct handicap applied. Or is it just the scores I don't need to bother with? Even if I don't have to bother about the details, you must admit that, under WHS I will still have to find those cards and log them against entered scores, based on your highlighted comment. If we get inundated with scores, that could still be some task, especially if cards are missing. What then, ignore it?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems that EG need to sort out their act as at the SW briefing we were advised to start briefing on basic changes as soon as your able.

Perhaps your over complicating things as the myths that every card is going to happen and social Golf is going away have all been cleared up.