Working out Handicaps

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've only carded 1 round thus far on my revolutionary surge towards being a half decent golfer, so I found this site:

http://www.offtheredtees.com/handicaps

and I know I need 3 rounds to be able to calculate my handicap.

I'm a little bit confused though, it was saying any shots over a double bogey don't count towards calculating my handicap. How does that work? If I hit an 11 on a par 5, it may as well be a 7, therefore the last 4 shots are not a detriment to my handicap. Is that correct?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And just to confuse the issue a little more, once you have your initial handicap then for all subsequent rounds, all big scores are rounded down to NETT double bogey for handicap purposes.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But is that accurate? You could have a real stinker of a round, but your handicap will be adjusted based on just 2 over par per hole?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
But is that accurate? You could have a real stinker of a round, but your handicap will be adjusted based on just 2 over par per hole?

Imagine somebody playing awesome for 17 holes being 2 over gross for those holes, and then having a 12 on the last .... what handicap is appropriate ?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Despite how it first seems it does generally give a good reflection of your standard. Also note it is your best card after shots deduction that gives your initial handicap and not an average.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Imagine somebody playing awesome for 17 holes being 2 over gross for those holes, and then having a 12 on the last .... what handicap is appropriate ?

Well I would ask myself why they got the 12. Could it be they were lucky the first 17 or very unlucky on the last. :) I guess though the rules of golf are not for me to change, ha ha, just trying to get an understanding.

Despite how it first seems it does generally give a good reflection of your standard. Also note it is your best card after shots deduction that gives your initial handicap and not an average.

How do you mean? can you give me an example?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
chances are you wont win a medal (stroke play comp) when you first enter comps. you may however win a stableford comp. it means you can have a few stinker holes and still win!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

yes

your handicap is based on this, your competition score if it was a medal round would be based on the full score.

the bit you seem to be missing is that if you were playing stableford the 'extra' shots never even exist - and we are handicapped to stableford.

the good bit is that this is also closer to matchplay - so handicaps for matches work better too.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No matter how much of a stinker you have, you only get 0.1 of a shot added back on to your handicap anyway.

It's not 0.1 per shot, just 0.1 full stop.

Remember, 2 over per hole is 36 over for the round, and the highest handicap an adult male can have is 28.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
OK fair enough. Well I'm not likely to be a member of any club till the new year, so I would have to do my own handicap for my own personal record.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just give yourself 18. see how many points you come in with. adjust if necessary.

your 3 cards and handicap will take care of itself when its competition time!

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played last week for the first time in 2 years and shot 110 on a par 69. I did hit one birdie though, first ever, that was a thrill I can assure you. Followed by an 11, back to reality. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I played last week for the first time in 2 years and shot 110 on a par 69. I did hit one birdie though, first ever, that was a thrill I can assure you. Followed by an 11, back to reality. :)

That's known as the PBFU! The PB stands for 'Post Birdie'. You can interpret the rest yourself. Told to me by a St Andrews caddie who also informed me of the NITBY (Not in the Bunker - Yet!). Saw MashieN with one of those on Monday - on 6. He avoided my result by thinning it over!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only carded 1 round thus far on my revolutionary surge towards being a half decent golfer, so I found this site:

http://www.offtheredtees.com/handicaps

and I know I need 3 rounds to be able to calculate my handicap.

I'm a little bit confused though, it was saying any shots over a double bogey don't count towards calculating my handicap. How does that work? If I hit an 11 on a par 5, it may as well be a 7, therefore the last 4 shots are not a detriment to my handicap. Is that correct?

Correct. The purpose of this adjustment is to place a limit on the maximum score that can be recorded at any hole in order to make handicaps more representative of a player’s potential ability.

The “nett double bogey” rule has the effect of lessening the impact of the (occasional) “bad” score on a player’s return. It might also allow a player who does not complete a hole, for any reason, to record a score for handicap purposes, thus sustaining his golfing interest and at the same time providing useful handicap information.

Remember your "handicap" isn't what you expect to shoot every round.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok so say I have an unofficial handicap of 28, how does that work in relation to the stroke index? The bbc site tried to explain, but it was a bit half baked.