Wordle

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So there is 'Hard mode' this means you have to use any letters you have discovered, so this stops you using a new random word to eliminate letters. This is how I play anyway, but just in case I am now set to hard mode.

Just thought I would let you all know that! :ROFLMAO:

22/22 100%
Me too. Makes it a bit more difficult.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes I get that, I’m struggling to think why you wouldn’t use them anyway as the next logical step is to use them in other spaces but with another word.
Sometimes eliminating certain letters makes the final choice easier....
I did that yesterday..First word had 2 letters in the right place..but there were several directions it could have gone in..
Picked a word with none of the 2 correct letters in to eliminate 3 or 4 different paths.
By eliminating those letters the final answer was obvious....
If I'd have gone down the wrong route I may not have reached the answer....

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sometimes eliminating certain letters makes the final choice easier....
I did that yesterday..First word had 2 letters in the right place..but there were several directions it could have gone in..
Picked a word with none of the 2 correct letters in to eliminate 3 or 4 different paths.
By eliminating those letters the final answer was obvious....
If I'd have gone down the wrong route I may not have reached the answer....

A9D0049C-51FC-4276-8A75-5AF87E8D4173.gif

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I get that, I’m struggling to think why you wouldn’t use them anyway as the next logical step is to use them in other spaces but with another word.
Hard to explain because I can't think of an example - but often it may be quicker to eliminate 5 completely different letters on your second guess which could leave you more certain about what the word has to be on the third guess. I even read that playing it this way can actually be more effective more times than not, however the only thing you lose out in is the possibility of a lucky guess getting it right.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hard to explain because I can't think of an example - but often it may be quicker to eliminate 5 completely different letters on your second guess which could leave you more certain about what the word has to be on the third guess. I even read that playing it this way can actually be more effective more times than not, however the only thing you lose out in is the possibility of a lucky guess getting it right.

Still doesn’t make any sense ? I’m not fussed about speed, I’d rather take a couple of minutes to think of a good word that is the best logical step rather than another blind guess using unused letters.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still doesn’t make any sense ? I’m not fussed about speed, I’d rather take a couple of minutes to think of a good word that is the best logical step rather than another blind guess using unused letters.
It's not blind guessing as such, it's another to way to eliminate multiple wrong letters at once I suppose. As I say, it's hard to explain without having an example to hand - but if they have a function that removes that possibility and calls it 'hard mode', then that suggests to me that it might actually be a good strategy, don't you think? I haven't done it that way though, I'm the same as you. I'd rather have the chance of getting it right with a lucky stab than enter something you know is wrong. That strategy makes it impossible to get the answer in less than 3 guesses.

Ok I found the example I needed online, but I'm not sure if it helps or complicates it further. :LOL:
Imagine you’ve played your first word, CHAIR. The game responds by telling you the H is correct AND correctly placed, while all the other letter guesses are not in the word at all. This is actually great progress: There are now only 33 possible target words, including GHOST, SHEEP, and WHOSE. Which word would you play next?

Surprisingly, one of the best words to play next is STOLE, which does not have an H as the second letter. By playing STOLE, we can distinguish between GHOST and SHEEP and WHOSE, all of which will have different responses. In fact, after playing STOLE as the second guess, the worst case scenario is having to pick between three possible words on the third try. (OK, you could also play SWOLE with the same results.)

The important detail here is that playing the H as the second letter is worse than playing another common word, even though it adds the small chance of nailing the word on the next try. One of the best options that keeps the H in place is THOSE, but it’s important to see that this is less useful than playing STOLE. By playing STOLE, we get information about the letter L, which THOSE does not give. The only advantage of playing THOSE is that it has a 1 in 33 chance of being the correct word, while STOLE does not.

In Wordle’s “Hard Mode,” there’s a reason it forces you to play the H where it was found: It is harder. This especially applies when you have 3 or 4 letters placed, but there are many options for the final letters.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends on your objective.

If you want to solve in as few tries as possible you absolutely do not want to waste tries on words you know with 100% certainty are wrong.

If you want to retain a 100% streak then a process of elimination is more useful to get the end result, but it will use more attempts.

Neither are bad as they are both good for a players objectives. Being lucky is half the game and why starting words are so important.

I’m happy to break a streak as my preference is to get 3 or under tries if I can. No way I’d burn a guess with letters I know are wrong.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hadn't thought of using "completely wrong" choices - but can see how they could be useful. Can recall a perfect example in a recent attempt (in an app version). After three goes I had last four letters correctly in place - only the first letter to get. However, there were 8 possible words and only two already ruled out. And only three guesses left. In retrospect, if I'd put in the word TABLE, I could have ruled out 5 of the 6 options and been assured of success, rather than just lucky

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wordle 220 4/6

?⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜?⬜⬜
??⬜⬜?
?????

Another one new to it but addicted. 4th day, think i'm of the school of getting it in least guesses. But I can see it becoming hard to see a streak end...

sunshine

Visit site
Wordle 220 4/6

?⬜⬜⬜?
⬜??⬜⬜
??⬜?⬜
?????

Took me absolutely ages to think of my 3rd guess. Proper waste of time when I should be working :ROFLMAO: