Blood donation

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always thought that too and you're absolutely right in the vast majority of cases.
However.....
O neg is split into 2 groups
O neg
O neg neo
O neg neo is a purer form of blood donation that has no viruses like Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
There is a small group of people who, because of a reduced immune system (eg newly born babies) need the Neo version as their body can't fight CMV so need the Neo neg.
If your donation is O neg neo, your bag gets a blue label attached

View attachment 48598

For those interested, there's more info here...
Thanks for this, I noticed a few donations ago that I got a blue tag and wondered what it was for

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to donate regularly, but many years back I turned up to a session and was told that they'd changed the rules and because I am mildly asthmatic I could no longer donate.
Seems ridiculous as I had never suffered any kind of reaction.

PS. for those with a needle anxiety, my experience was that giving blood was always much less uncomfortable than having a blood sample taken.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I used to donate regularly, but many years back I turned up to a session and was told that they'd changed the rules and because I am mildly asthmatic I could no longer donate.
Seems ridiculous as I had never suffered any kind of reaction.

PS. for those with a needle anxiety, my experience was that giving blood was always much less uncomfortable than having a blood sample taken.
I remember when they used to stab your thumb with a miniature ice pick.