Blood donation

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I know we've probaby all heard it before but the NHS are asking for more blood donors, especially O neg group.
It only takes about 30-40 minutes, although the actual removal only takes around 6 minutes.
I know some people don't like needles but if you can help, please give it some thought.
It's not even an arm full.
Thank-you

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm O-neg, used to donate regularly before we moved to Spain, but I'm not sure I'll be eligible at the moment - will look into it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hats off to you Bob. I used to donate but then was advised to stop as my "normal" iron levels are usually on the low side. Decided to try again a few months ago. Again iron low but just above the acceptable level to donate. For the next 3-4 weeks though my effort levels during exercise were pretty compromised and I hated feeling so crap on the bike. So for now I've postponed my next appointment...I'm A+

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you.

Just booked in to donate - although not while next month - but I suspect the demand will still be there. Thanks for posting, it's something I used to do frequently but since we moved back I've barely giving donation a thought.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Used to donate but, sadly, health reasons now preclude me. No doubt like many people the first visit was a bit nervy but I was gobsmacked how easy it was.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hats off to you Bob. I used to donate but then was advised to stop as my "normal" iron levels are usually on the low side. Decided to try again a few months ago. Again iron low but just above the acceptable level to donate. For the next 3-4 weeks though my effort levels during exercise were pretty compromised and I hated feeling so crap on the bike. So for now I've postponed my next appointment...I'm A+
That's the one bit I'm good at, it sinks like a stone, must be all the Irn Bru I drink. ;)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Up to 48 donations now - wife is at 70+. I used to donate platelets but there is nowhere near me that I can do this now. You can do platelets every month and sit for an hour or so drinking tea and having biscuits :)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to donate, but now not allowed. Lymphoma is long gone but I’m sure that nobody would want any of my “bad” blood. Because of it I’m not permitted to donate any part of my parts when I’m gone on.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've donated about 30-40 times (O neg) but unfortunately they stopped coming to our area to collect donations a number of years ago. Always mean to try and arrange an appointment any time I'm going to be in a city or visiting the in-laws but it never seems to work out :cry:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've donated about 30-40 times (O neg) but unfortunately they stopped coming to our area to collect donations a number of years ago. Always mean to try and arrange an appointment any time I'm going to be in a city or visiting the in-laws but it never seems to work out :cry:
They have done this near to me. It's an odd decision because the sessions were always full, I know as I used to ask. They have taken them from a range of towns and now just have them in certain hubs. This is not convenient for lots of people who do not have their own transport. I still go but it certainly stopped a lot of people who used to donate. ...........and now we have shortages :rolleyes:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Up to 48 donations now - wife is at 70+. I used to donate platelets but there is nowhere near me that I can do this now. You can do platelets every month and sit for an hour or so drinking tea and having biscuits :)

I did ask about donating platelets but was told it was a no no for O neg

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm O Neg and was ok. They may have changed as it was about 5 years ago. It may be that because O neg is better as whole blood as it can be given to any one
O Neg is known as the "universal donor" for whole blood as anyone can receive it.

For platelets, the "universal donor" is A Neg. That's me, and I was about to switch from blood donations to platelets when I had some health problems. Now I'm on too much repeat medication so I can't donate anything any more :-(

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Having been the recipient of several transfusions ( including 3 x my body volume in 12 hours) I’m not allowed to donate although have done in the past.

I doff my cap to all donors as without them I wouldn’t be here 👍

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is dead easy! I was up to 30 something, then i got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and they don't want me anymore. Still try and do my bit with research projects and drug trials!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me & Mrs B used to donate regularly but then for various reasons, (mainly due to trips to various countries) had to stop. Have tried to get back into it but simply cannot get back on the register - have tried several times but won't recognise us as existing donors, nor accept us as new donors. So we've given up. Shame really as they're always short of the stuff.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to donate regularly for many years but I'm not allowed to since getting an autoimmune condition. I must have gallons of the stuff in storage now ready for me when I have an accident 😀

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
O Neg is known as the "universal donor" for whole blood as anyone can receive it.
I always thought that too and you're absolutely right in the vast majority of cases.
However.....
O neg is split into 2 groups
O neg
O neg neo
O neg neo is a purer form of blood donation that has no viruses like Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
There is a small group of people who, because of a reduced immune system (eg newly born babies) need the Neo version as their body can't fight CMV so need the Neo neg.
If your donation is O neg neo, your bag gets a blue label attached

61086301_2799668363394613_6058523624137031680_n.jpg

For those interested, there's more info here...