They don't play games like this anymore

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Probably the toughest/dirtiest game of football you will ever see.

1970 FA Cup final: The most brutal game in English football history

I'm old enough to remember this game and, even by standards of the time it was brutal. Amazingly only one yellow card was given out.
I'm not condoning the tackles at all, but you look at some of the tackles that were put in and the players, on the whole, got up and carried on (after a quick rumpus).
How the game has changed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Probably the toughest/dirtiest game of football you will ever see.

1970 FA Cup final: The most brutal game in English football history

I'm old enough to remember this game and, even by standards of the time it was brutal. Amazingly only one yellow card was given out.
I'm not condoning the tackles at all, but you look at some of the tackles that were put in and the players, on the whole, got up and carried on (after a quick rumpus).
How the game has changed.
What about the Vinnie Jones haymaker at the star of the cup final v Wimbledon. Not even a card for that. I have seen this final a few times and it it crazy what they could get away with. Even watching the old Big Match programmes from that time you are often wincing at the tackles

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And this is what the likes of Souness want to go back to? The referee has had a shocker as well, maybe standards have improved more than we think on that front.

Pathetic behaviour really, like watching Sunday League in the ghetto.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
And this is what the likes of Souness want to go back to? The referee has had a shocker as well, maybe standards have improved more than we think on that front.

Pathetic behaviour really, like watching Sunday League in the ghetto.
Or Northern sunday football. I've played north and south and when I moved south it was a MUCH MORE GENTILE sport. Players laid off and jockeyed block your route. Oop north your legs would be gone before you had chance to blink.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only reason they did it is because they got away with it. Every team had someone that would take out an opponent that caused a threat. Some teams had more than one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember when Fulham were in the old 3rd division and we signed Doug Rougvie who was an old fashioned centre back with a reputation for a short fuse. If any of our players got chopped the Hammersmith End would start singing "Dougie's gonna get you" and 9/10 he did!