Names rarely used

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a granny Isabella, but that was too old fashioned for her daughter, my mum, who was Isabel, as was my sister and a cousin of the same granny - though sis was an Isabel and my cousin an Isobel. Name fashion comes goes.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a granny Isabella, but that was too old fashioned for her daughter, my mum, who was Isabel, as was my sister and a cousin of the same granny - though sis was an Isabel and my cousin an Isobel. Name fashion comes goes.
Dad had a great aunt called Virginia, her daughter was also Virginia, but they was only know as Old Ginny and Young Ginny.. even when Old Ginny died and Young Ginny was 90 her name never changed….

I remember they lived in a railway carriage in a field in Pitsea, and gave me a Beano album in 1974 😀

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or myparentsareknobs.
I do get quite grumpy on this one. So many names now are self indulgent by the parents, with no thought that their child has to live with the name given for the rest of their lives. It's a millstone for some, through school and then into adulthood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do get quite grumpy on this one. So many names now are self indulgent by the parents, with no thought that their child has to live with the name given for the rest of their lives. It's a millstone for some, through school and then into adulthood.
So stupid. Let's give our child a name that gets us in the Daily Star Online. To hell with them having to actually live with it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I often laugh at the name of some of my clients, they include Erastus, Garnet, Aida

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad's name is Ambrose, never heard of one before or since 🤣 obviously he goes by his much more conventional middle name and dreads visits to the doctors where his full name is shouted out to the waiting room and has to endure the titters from the other patients.
We used to have a cat called Ambrose. No idea where we got the name from.