Names rarely used

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plenty of Colin’s in the Hebrides…being named after their grandfather who was named after his grandfather, who was named after…and so on back in time. I’ve the same name (forename and surname) as my grandfather, as does one of my cousins (same grandfather) and he named his second son after our common grandfather. My family tree is full of blokes with the same name 🙄

That said my wife wasn’t having our son called Hector…
I think Hector is a great name.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never met a Roger who was under 50 years old, Nigel is another one. Some other old names have come back though, such as Arthur and Henry which are popular again now.

Girls names are a bit different, you seem to have a bit more room to be creative with them. When we were coming up with baby names, before we knew what sex our baby was going to be, we had a long list of girls' names but only a couple of boys' names that we liked.

There's plenty of female names you just associate with grannies - Phyllis, Doris, names like that haven't come around. My grandmothers were named Sylvia and Margaret, I don't think you hear either of them much now.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My dad's name is Ambrose, never heard of one before or since 🤣 obviously he goes by his much more conventional middle name and dreads visits to the doctors where his full name is shouted out to the waiting room and has to endure the titters from the other patients.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Isabella was my grandmother's name and I thought it to be an unpopular one today. I was very wrong about that.
I had an auntie Evie whose full name was Evelyn. Both those names are popular today. Evie comes in at number 15 and Evelyn at number 19.
Lily and Ivy are old-fashioned in my view, but both in the top ten this year. I had no idea this would be the case.

Top babies names in the UK 2023

girls 2023.jpg boys 2023.jpg

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Isabella was my grandmother's name and I thought it to be an unpopular one today. I was very wrong about that.
I had an auntie Evie whose full name was Evelyn. Both those names are popular today. Evie comes in at number 15 and Evelyn at number 19.
Lily and Ivy are old-fashioned in my view, but both in the top ten this year. I had no idea this would be the case.

View attachment 51020 View attachment 51021

Can confidently say that my school is full of these names!

Olivia's are everywhere!!!

I avoided as many names high up on this list as possible when naming our son!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure that many of these na

View attachment 51020 View attachment 51021
Not sure that many of these names go particularly well with my very traditional Scottish surname 🙄

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Youngest sons 21 year old girlfriends name is Daphne! Thought it sounded old when I first heard it but now I think it’s great… and her sister is Penelope. 😃

RichA

Visit site
Good to see Arthur up there. That's a great name that I would have chosen if I'd had a son. I think my next male dog will be Arthur.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Youngest sons 21 year old girlfriends name is Daphne! Thought it sounded old when I first heard it but now I think it’s great… and her sister is Penelope. 😃
Their parents must love cartoons from the 70's. My instant thought reading this was Daphne from Scooby Doo and Penelope Pitstop 🤣

Swango1980

Visit site
Surely some common names like Michael, Christopher, David, Paul, Andrew, Stephen, etc will become extremely uncommon. Or Clare, Mary, Sharon, Ann etc. Many parents like to think of fairly rare or unique names, so their kids stand out.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the names above become very rare. And replaced by common names such as surname sounding names like Taylor or Jackson, fruit sounding names like Apple or Pear, or some just wanting to call their kids something like Deadpool.

If I have a kid, I might just call them Gherkin if a boy, and Cabbage if a girl.

I wonder when the names X AE A-XII, Exa Dark Siderael and Techno Mechanicus will become commonplace. Elon Musk is a trendsetter after all.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm a Stephen but it's become very rare in the noughties. I think it was third most popular when I was born, but hadly anybody seems to be using it these days.

You can check out the popularity of your name here. Just change the year to see how popular it is now.
The Name Calculator

Not all names get a good reaction.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My MIL was Isabel and my granddaughter was named after her. Unfortunately Isabella is a far more popular version making buying stuff difficult.