Winter Wheels

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Powakaddy Freeway 7 . . . . I need some winter wheels, up until now I have carried when trolleys were banned but . .. 1. I am getting too old for that and 2. The trolley bans are coming sooner and more often (starting this week and likely for the next 9 months!!).
I want:
1. Anything that will meet the Club's rules (which is anything which is not flat)
2. Pay as little as possible.
3. Small and easiest (to move, clean and store) as possible.

Suggestion?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Powakaddy Freeway 7 . . . . I need some winter wheels, up until now I have carried when trolleys were banned but . .. 1. I am getting too old for that and 2. The trolley bans are coming sooner and more often (starting this week and likely for the next 9 months!!).
I want:
1. Anything that will meet the Club's rules (which is anything which is not flat)

Suggestion?
A lot of clubs have done away with the "hedgehog" wheels as it has been shown to cause more damage

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Powakaddy winter wheels are not the hedgehog type, they are wider and are more of an open hexagon design. Not heard of any 3rd party suppliers for Powakaddy (but never really looked )

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Quick look online shows between £80-£95 for Powakaddy Winter Wheels, which works out at c£10 a month (on your estimation of a 9 month ban) to keep playing and protect the course to some extent.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I want:

Suggestion?
You can buy hedgehogs wheel sets that go over the trolley wheels

Mandofred

Visit site
The last 2 years I've put the cable ties on my wheels, about 5 on each wheel. It acts a bit like snow chains and doesn't collect much of any mud. Especially when I was at Oakdale the mud was truly yucky and the ties would let the smooth wheels get a bit more grip.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must confess, the wheels on my Motorcaddy M7 are nowhere near as good in the soft condtions as the pneumatic tyres that were on my Golfstream Revolution. That never spun out or had grip issues, whereas the Motocaddy wheels do. I do wish I could run pneumatic tyres again, quieter and better grass grip wet or dry.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why ?

We have had them 6 years now and work well

I find the damage they do to a course as unacceptable.

I have just one mate who uses them and you can clearly see every where he has taken his trolley.

Just imagine the frustration of finding your ball in one one of the holes left by the wheel.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

I have just one mate who uses them and you can clearly see every where he has taken his trolley.

Just imagine the frustration of finding your ball in one one of the holes left by the wheel.

What damage ?

GK finds they do less damage than flat wheels

There is no skidding , easier to control

They are used when on Preferred lies so if you do find yourself in one of the holes then you just pick and place

It’s not much different to when the green staff do hollow tining on the fairways

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

The GM article seemed pretty split but our green keeper doesn't want them as he feels they cause more damage especially in the wetter areas, usually the roped off bits meaning a longer detour around the green. After a few weeks these get bare, muddy and wet and so if a ball goes onto that it makes it very hard to play

wjemather

Visit site
A lot of clubs have done away with the "hedgehog" wheels as it has been shown to cause more damage
The article you linked contradicts your earlier statement: "the research conducted... proves that while not the perfect solution, winter wheels certainly protect the ground more than flat trolley wheels and allow golf courses to recover quicker from heavy traffic."

The GM article seemed pretty split but our green keeper doesn't want them as he feels they cause more damage especially in the wetter areas, usually the roped off bits meaning a longer detour around the green. After a few weeks these get bare, muddy and wet and so if a ball goes onto that it makes it very hard to play
Such damage would take days rather than weeks with standard flat wheels.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
Just ban trollies in winter. Simple!

Get a light bag and carry as much as you are able. It’s that’s 5 clubs and a few balls so be it. Most players don’t need any more than that anyway!!

I’m sick of having to walk through swampy areas on the course because so many people need to take a full set of clubs in a massive bag containing everything they own.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just ban trollies in winter. Simple!

Get a light bag and carry as much as you are able. It’s that’s 5 clubs and a few balls so be it. Most players don’t need any more than that anyway!!

I’m sick of having to walk through swampy areas on the course because so many people need to take a full set of clubs in a massive bag containing everything they own.
Not quite as simple as you think. Some people can't carry, even a half set, so clubs have to do what they can to facilitate these golfers. We are in the process of putting in a path around the whole course so we can have trollies and buggies through out the year.