Tour Bag - Winter Use

Bobthesock

Visit site
I also use a pencil bag in winter. Souch easier than getting your trolley all muddy. If you are under 60 I think carrying should be mandatory in winter.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I also use a pencil bag in winter. Souch easier than getting your trolley all muddy. If you are under 60 I think carrying should be mandatory in winter.

We’ve got a 4 club comp on Wednesday and I guarantee there’ll be loads of younger members still out with their heavy electric trolleys.

The same ones moan when the greenkeeper shuts the course when it’s wet through..

Bobthesock

Visit site
We’ve got a 4 club comp on Wednesday and I guarantee there’ll be loads of younger members still out with their heavy electric trolleys.

The same ones moan when the greenkeeper shuts the course when it’s wet through..
Same at my course. Half of them don't have winter wheels either. They make a right mess skidding up some of the slopes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is such a ridiculous, macho statement. What if someone is younger but with back issues, or other problems? Not enough for a medical certificate, but enough for carrying to be an issue?

If you want to carry that's fine. For those who don't, the vast majority at any club I've been a member at, let them be. If a club wants to impose that rule all winter, make sure every member clearly knows this before taking their fees from them.

TigerBear

Visit site
I am thinking of getting a tour bag for winter use. I've been offered a 2nd hand (but in very good condition) TM tour bag which has primarily been used to display clubs in store. I am finding that it is getting a squeeze to get waterproofs, gloves, spare towels, drinks etc into my current trolley bag which is also showing its age as it is 6 years old and had a lot of use. Does anyone else use one? I think I will only lose one pocket on a trolley but will still be able to access both the large side pockets.
Tour bag it up mate. Putter well to boot.

But invest in a trolley (obviously), electric or push matters not a jot.

If your club has its course in order you'll be able to use your trolley 365 days of the year, laden up and enjoy!

sunshine

Visit site
That is such a ridiculous, macho statement. What if someone is younger but with back issues, or other problems? Not enough for a medical certificate, but enough for carrying to be an issue?

If you want to carry that's fine. For those who don't, the vast majority at any club I've been a member at, let them be. If a club wants to impose that rule all winter, make sure every member clearly knows this before taking their fees from them.

When it’s wet, I think a sensible rule is carry if you can. Then if someone has an injury or a dodgy back etc they can use a trolley. The majority of people are able to carry, as long as they are sensible (ie no need for a massive tour bag full of crap).

Reactions: JT.

Bobthesock

Visit site

If you are fit enough to walk 5 miles around a hilly course you are fit enough to carry a few kgs on your back. (Obviously there will be exceptions but a minority).
My pencil bag with about 10 clubs is so light you barley notice it.
Just trying to do my bit to protect the course, a lot of people are either too ignorant or dont care though..

Reactions: JT.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

It is illegal under the 2010 Act to stop those with a "protected characteristic" from playing if they need a trolley or buggy. If a course is open, its open to all those who come under that category.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is illegal under the 2010 Act to stop those with a "protected characteristic" from playing if they need a trolley or buggy. If a course is open, its open to all those who come under that category.
There are also plenty who don't have medical certs who would struggle. Walking and carrying are very different.

If a course is exceptionally wet I get a trolley ban. Otherwise, every course I've played has managed and recovered very easily from trolley use.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There are also plenty who don't have medical certs who would struggle. Walking and carrying are very different.

If a course is exceptionally wet I get a trolley ban. Otherwise, every course I've played has managed and recovered very easily from trolley use.
Absolutely. But a course can no longer have a "carry only policy"

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ah, interesting. What is a protected characteristic?

My club has been carry only for the last few weeks. Today, trolleys are permitted again.
Best to read the law, but basically those who have a permanent injury, illness etc who can't carry. It can also be mental illness and other reasons/ factors but basically if a member has a dispensation to use a buggy or trolley and the course is open then it's open to them too. If it is a safety issue then the Club is required to find a route that it will be safe for a buggy to, at least, play some holes, mostly a person covered by this law would be safe enough to use a trolley imo. Care for the course is not acceptable as a reason to ban trolleys or buggies

Clubs who are up with the requirements have often published their code on their web sites/ rules - on of the best ones I've seen is Canterbury Golf Club (worth a read)

My Club has recently started to introduce one after a meet we had back in April where we informed them of the law, and then following instruction from ENGLAND GOLF

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you missed something.

At this time of year, if you tee off in the morning it can be freezing, but by lunch time if the sun's out it can be nice and pleasant. More than just removing a top layer, also more comfortable to change mid layers, lose the wooly hat etc. And then of course frequent showers mean the waterproofs come on.

If I’m teeing off early, I should be done by lunch so no panic required.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Took the dogs for a walk across and round the perimeter of our local course this morning (Dewsbury District) - hills everywhere, not an awful lot of paths to use, and saw two guys out on ride on solo buggies. The weather has been dreadful, and it wasn't particularly great this morning - and while I understand people feel they need to get a golfing fix, it can't possible be safe to be using one of these with the current ground conditions, plus, they must be absolutely freezing as they're driving round with no real opportunities to get the blood pumping.

The mind boggles.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s almost as bad as having cart paths and allowing carts all year round, yet numpties drive around the puddles on the paths and across the mud/grass that’s seen consistent rain for almost 48hrs 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
But if you require winter fairway mats.....some people will scream bloody murder. People pick and choose what they want to be upset about.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
But if you require winter fairway mats.....some people will scream bloody murder. People pick and choose what they want to be upset about.

Oh aye, the same people that will not carry and insist on using leccy trolleys at our club, are the first to complain about the course condition in the summer. Played with one of them last year, we put mats out on the tees, and they tee up on the grass behind the mats....

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Oh aye, the same people that will not carry and insist on using leccy trolleys at our club, are the first to complain about the course condition in the summer. Played with one of them last year, we put mats out on the tees, and they tee up on the grass behind the mats....
I think there are the same type of people at every club. They think they are entitled to do whatever they want because they have paid their fees.

We allow trollies far too quickly after bad weather and almost everyone is out with their electric trolley complete with massive bag and a full set of clubs. We are asked to keep to paths and roped off areas, but many don’t.

Most likely the same people who don’t replace divots or repair pitch marks.