Tour Bag - Winter Use

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a tour bag for winter use. I've been offered a 2nd hand (but in very good condition) TM tour bag which has primarily been used to display clubs in store. I am finding that it is getting a squeeze to get waterproofs, gloves, spare towels, drinks etc into my current trolley bag which is also showing its age as it is 6 years old and had a lot of use. Does anyone else use one? I think I will only lose one pocket on a trolley but will still be able to access both the large side pockets.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems like a terrible idea to me. Are you going to carry it when the trolley bans come in? Surely not?

How much stuff are you trying to get in there? I have a hybrid bag so just the one large pocket down the side but I can still get a rain jacket, bucket hat and gilet in there for the cold weather. It has a separate drink pocket.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tour bag as in the humungous types you see the pro's use :oops:. Unless you have a HI of 5 or under, it is not worth the stares or mocking :ROFLMAO:. I have a Motocaddy cart bag, two full length pockets on either side plus the usual front pockets. Have a look at something like that, plenty big enough for all of your gear and doesn't come with the baggage of a tour bag (no pun intended).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Personal view is that the only time anyone needs a Tour Bag is when you have a caddy to carry it for you.....

^^^ Yup

Re OP, I'd have thought the main difference in winter compared to a likely rain day for rest of year, is layers and the player will be wearing those for the temp diff, so not even in the bag anyway

Just not sure why extra pocket space would be needed

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems like a terrible idea to me. Are you going to carry it when the trolley bans come in? Surely not?

How much stuff are you trying to get in there? I have a hybrid bag so just the one large pocket down the side but I can still get a rain jacket, bucket hat and gilet in there for the cold weather. It has a separate drink pocket.
When the trolley ban comes in the course is too wet too play anyway imo. I know its winter golf but playing when it is that wet seems a pointless task and more to be achieved hitting a bucket of balls on the range or just not bothering

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When the trolley ban comes in the course is too wet too play anyway imo. I know its winter golf but playing when it is that wet seems a pointless task and more to be achieved hitting a bucket of balls on the range or just not bothering
Maybe our courses are different but mine often has the trolley ban in place for weeks at a time. Or they'll say 'carry if you can' a lot of the time, but as I'm still in my 30s I'm pretty sure I class as someone who can, so I do. I tend to just carry the whole time through December to March, go with 9 clubs or so to make the bag lighter.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have a bag with one big side pocket and a couple of smaller pockets. None of them are ever full. I cannot for the kid me think of a reason to need a tour bag. I simply don’t need to take that much stuff out with me on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone should do their absolute best to carry in the winter, it is proven how much more damage a trolley does to the ground than carrying.
In all honesty it benefits you as well, it's generally quicker to get round when they've got ropes everywhere blocking the trolley from shortcuts around the greens etc. When carrying you can just walk straight through.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
As somebody who has a dodgy back, carrying is not in the equation. I would not join a course that was carry only in winter, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.
I have a dodgy back and shoulder.

In winter I carry a lightweight bag with 6 or 7 clubs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a dodgy back and shoulder.

In winter I carry a lightweight bag with 6 or 7 clubs.
I've done it occasionally, not a fan. I've yet to be at a club where a trolley ban has been enforced, none in the area do. If one tried to bring it in they would soon see an exodus so I'm not expecting to see one happen.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe our courses are different but mine often has the trolley ban in place for weeks at a time. Or they'll say 'carry if you can' a lot of the time, but as I'm still in my 30s I'm pretty sure I class as someone who can, so I do. I tend to just carry the whole time through December to March, go with 9 clubs or so to make the bag lighter.

We don't just suddenly get old and decrepit as soon as we hit 40 you know 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've done it occasionally, not a fan. I've yet to be at a club where a trolley ban has been enforced, none in the area do. If one tried to bring it in they would soon see an exodus so I'm not expecting to see one happen.
How odd, I thought they were pretty commonplace.

I wasn't knocking anyone for their choice anyway, I only speak for myself. I find it easier just to carry with fewer clubs once we get into proper winter - that way I'm not waiting for the announcement on trolley ban or not, I don't have to feel guilty when it's "carry if you can", and as I mentioned it's sometimes quicker to get round when you can jump the ropes rather than wheel your way around them. And carrying clubs up the hill keeps me warm I guess. 😆