Winter clothing

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
After years of playing all the way through and finding all sorts of solutions that irritate me on my swing, I finally last year found a solution!

I’ve got a battery powered heated gillet and wear cycling sleeves under a long sleeve polo. This keeps my core warm perfectly while given me the required flexibility in my arms.

What’s everyone else wearing?

For me:
Head: Woolley hat or jack wolfskin winter hat which covers my ears. Snood
Top: heated Gillet and arm sleeves under long sleeve polo
Legs: Nike winter nit trousers (fantastic) or stromberg wintra trousers when raining
Shoes: Stubert winter boots, had since I did my ankle but are awesome, dry and toasty
Hand Warming: I’m fortunate to have a follow trolley so my hand stay in my heated gillet pockets a lot of the time.

Albo

Visit site
For me I don’t like a woolly hat unless it’s below zero.
Generally same trousers as usual, base layer type thing and a short sleeve polo and cap.
If it gets really cold add a 1/4 zip long sleeve to the above and a woolly hat.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After years of playing all the way through and finding all sorts of solutions that irritate me on my swing, I finally last year found a solution!

I’ve got a battery powered heated gillet and wear cycling sleeves under a long sleeve polo. This keeps my core warm perfectly while given me the required flexibility in my arms.

For me:
Legs: Nike winter nit trousers (fantastic) or stromberg wintra trousers when raining
Shoes: Stubert winter boots, had since I did my ankle but are awesome, dry and toasty
Hand Warming: I’m fortunate to have a follow trolley so my hand stay in my heated gillet pockets a lot of the time.

It occurs to me that things like heated gilets can't be used in comps. Would that be correct?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stubert base layer, and a fleece-type jumper. Don't usually need more - except if there's a biting wind, in which case, will put the waterproof jacket on.
Course gets quite muddy in winter so tend to wear overtrousers rather than ordinary ones - can just sluice them down with a hose rather than put them in the wash every time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It hasn't got cold yet, but when it is I usually go for the skintight baselayer underneath the polo, and a midlayer thin jumper. I always have a gilet in my bag as well if I'm still too cold - again that's a thin, fleecy type rather than a thick padded one. I worked out a long time ago that I can't play golf in thick padded clothing really, it has to be multiple thin layers so not bulky. I have a pair of FootJoy Wintersof gloves that I use as well, although I have to take the right one off for full shots as it feels weird having two gloves on when swinging. I have an Under Armour beanie hat that I wear too, keeps the ears warm.

My mate has one of those heated gilets, think it looks a bit ridiculous personally. We always keep pressing the button on it so it changes the temperature setting. I wonder if he'll be electrocuted one day if it rains. ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What makes you think that?

Not really sure but I kinda thought it may possibly breach the clothing rule under equipment (my highlight) depends on definition of 'energy' i guess when its used within the RoG

Equipment Rules

4. Clothing (Rule 4.3)

Articles of clothing must not incorporate features:

designed to assist the player with his alignment; or

that might otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

Use of Compression Clothing: Compression clothing has been available for many years and its use is widespread in both the winter and summer for temperature regulation and sun protection. Compression garments are not considered unusual equipment and consequently are permitted under Rule 4.3.

Use of Posture Garments (e.g., shirts): Posture garments, as currently available (2012), are considered to be a type of compression garment and should be permitted under Rule 4.3. These include: Posture shirts, Posture/sports bras, Girdles, and Shaping undergarments. Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy, or Inhibiting or enhancing movement, are considered unusual equipment in breach of Rule 4.3.

edit: i'll ask in rules section to avoid taking OP thread off track...

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really sure but I kinda thought it may possibly breach the clothing rule under equipment (my highlight) depends on definition of 'energy' i guess when its used within the RoG

Equipment Rules

4. Clothing (Rule 4.3)

Articles of clothing must not incorporate features:

designed to assist the player with his alignment; or

that might otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

Use of Compression Clothing: Compression clothing has been available for many years and its use is widespread in both the winter and summer for temperature regulation and sun protection. Compression garments are not considered unusual equipment and consequently are permitted under Rule 4.3.

Use of Posture Garments (e.g., shirts): Posture garments, as currently available (2012), are considered to be a type of compression garment and should be permitted under Rule 4.3. These include: Posture shirts, Posture/sports bras, Girdles, and Shaping undergarments. Clothing incorporating features designed to or which have the effect of: Storing and releasing energy, or Inhibiting or enhancing movement, are considered unusual equipment in breach of Rule 4.3.

edit: i'll ask in rules section to avoid taking OP thread off track...
Haha, they definitely don't do that. Their purpose is to keep you warm. Like any clothing really. :LOL:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

For me:

Where do you lot live? If it's really cold, I'll put on a jumper.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bobble hats drive me insane. I must have funny shaped head as they rise up over time and look ridiculous. Yes, LT, I have got ones with the bobble. Although I have a new one to try this year. Maybe that might fit my stupid head

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bobble hats drive me insane. I must have funny shaped head as they rise up over time and look ridiculous. Yes, LT, I have got ones with the bobble. Although I have a new one to try this year. Maybe that might fit my stupid head
Do you mean beanie hats? I find they are useless, the rise up as you walk. I've given up on them.

Nothing wrong with a bobble on the top of a hat, I have one :D

Newtonuti

Visit site
I like to wear a cap for as long as I can, then swap to a beany. As for torso, just a non collared to shirt, with either my adidas golf jacket on, or if it's raining, I'll wear a 1/4 zip with my waterproof jacket on top. Then just normal trousers with waterproofs if needed, and my puma ignite spiked waterproof shoes.

Also have a snood for those crazily cold mornings.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It occurs to me that things like heated gilets can't be used in comps. Would that be correct?

You would have to be careful with heated gloves if you kept the ball in the glove. It is against the rules to artificially warm golf balls during the course of a round. (Same concern should be had with hand warmers)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When it gets cold - M&S thermal long johns and same long sleeve top. Any of many various hats as per weather and temperature.
Then, as @JamesR says, same as usual, just more of it.
Decathlon neck warmer that was £1 is indispensable. (EDIT - that was in the shop a couple of years ago - gone up to £1.99 now)

Last edited:

MACM85

Visit site
Similar to what I wear in the summer. Shorts, Polo and when it gets chilly a jumper with a wooley hat thrown on if it is baltic.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
You would have to be careful with heated gloves if you kept the ball in the glove. It is against the rules to artificially warm golf balls during the course of a round. (Same concern should be had with hand warmers)
When you watch the solheim they are all wearing pouches