Winter handicap adjustments

James.lynch

Visit site
Since the beginning of winter our club has shortened the course (albeit not by much) and as such we are unable to put cards in for handicap purposes. For the 4 months since one of our group has consistently scored well in excess of 40 points, maxing out at 46 points. Obviously these scores would ordinarily result in a significant handicap reduction. This player is playing on a handicap which does not reflect his current level of ability. The comment that they make is "There is nothing I can do about it". Can anyone suggest how this be addressed?.

Swango1980

Visit site
If it is in competitions, probably not a lot you can do. The handicap committee might consider a review of the handicap, though I'm not sure how willing they'd be to do that if the scores are on a shortened course?

If it is just within your group, you could just come up with your own handicap system over the winter. As long as someone is willing to keep a record of scores and adjust handicaps. For example, (pre WHS) I used to control the Roll Up Handicaps at the club. I used the following guidelines:

Reductions: -0.(CAT) x shots better than 36 points
CAT was the category they were in, so CAT 1 was handicaps below 5.5, CAT 2 was 5.5-11.4, CAT 3 was 12.5-20.4, CAT 4 was 20.5-28.4, CAT 5 was 28.5-36.4 and CAT 6 anyone over 36.4
So, if a CAT 1 had 40 points, they get cut 0.4. If a CAT 3 had 40 points, they get cut 1.2 (if someone gets cut between boundaries, I take that into account in the reduction as soon as they cross the boundary)
Also, if someone WINS the roll up, they get an additional cut of -0.1 x half the number of golfers in the field (up to a MAX of -2.0) This meant they got an extra reduction if they won the money, but it wasn't too penal if there was a very small field.

Increases: +0.1 if score less than their CAT under 36 points. So, a CAT 1 golfer scored 34 points or less, they go up 0.1, whereas a CAT 3 golfer would go up 0.1 if they shot 32 or less.
Also, if a player had 7 consecutive 0.1 increases, I added an extra 1.0

I did this for 3 or 4 years, and it started as we had the same issue you had. Some players having handicaps way too high, while others struggled off their handicap. Over the years had 84 players involved at one point or another. Made it a lot more enjoyable, and to be honest a lot of players got quite excited about what impacts their round would have on their roll up handicap. Stopped doing it after WHS, as we could enter scores on MYEG anyway. However, last 2 seasons our course has not been set up for handicapping due to maintenance, so I've had quite a few requests to start it up again.

IanMcC

Visit site
We also do not run qualifiers in Winter. Here is a quote from our Player's Charter explaining what we do. It works well.

After the summer season closes in October, no more handicap qualifying competitions shall be played at Rhuddlan Golf Club until the following March . If a player wins a Friday, Sunday or Wednesday Winter competition then they lose 2 Stableford points for the remainder of the winter, but only for the weekday in which their victory occurred. If a player is second in any of these competitions then they lose 1 Stableford point for that weekday only. The Committee administers these reductions when marking the competition, so players need not make any deductions when completing their scorecards. These reductions are dependent on field size. If the prizemoney is reduced then the reduction will be also.

James.lynch

Visit site
Thanks guys for your comments so far. Rating the course for winter is not going to happen, certainly not for this year. My question really is "Is it immoral to play on a handicap which you know to be significantly higher than your current form". Is there a responsibility on a player to recognise his incorrect handicap and cut himself accordingly.

Swango1980

Visit site
Thanks guys for your comments so far. Rating the course for winter is not going to happen, certainly not for this year. My question really is "Is it immoral to play on a handicap which you know to be significantly higher than your current form". Is there a responsibility on a player to recognise his incorrect handicap and cut himself accordingly.
You mean, cut his official handicap?

They obviously cannot do that. They could talk to the club handicap secretary, and give them some evidence their handicap is too high. If the handicap sec is worth their salt, they won't simply cut someone because they ask for it. It would be an evidence based decision. That evidence may not be jumping out at them, so that is why the player could give it to them if they felt a cut was fair.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be the Committee's decision.
The book says:
A handicap review may be conducted at the request of the player or another player at any time.
Before making any adjustment to a player’s Handicap Index, the Handicap Committee should carefully consider all available evidence, including:
o Whether the player’s ability is rapidly improving or declining.
o Whether the player is performing significantly differently in one format of play compared to another, for example between organized
competitions and general play; unauthorized and authorized format of play.

James.lynch

Visit site
I realise that the player cannot cut his official handicap but he is currently hiding behjnd it and using the "nothing I can do about it". What are your views on the morals of this position.

I know we have always had bandits in golf but since the whs was introduced if you record every game you play (which we do) your handicap reflects your current form. The player in question is simply benefiting from the current inability to submit his scores.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The OP also has to consider how much hte course has actually shortened. Even 10 yards a hole can make a big difference to the club used and how confident the guy is using certain clubs. Then factor in pick and place for a perfect lie in the fairway, soft receptive greens, etc and winter golf can seem a lot easier than in the summer. With the dry weather, the amount of roll doesn't differ too much either so stableford scores can easily be higher.

James.lynch

Visit site
Thanks rulefan.

So there is something he can do (albeit he may not want to) by presenting the handicap comittee his current cards which show a significantly better performance than his handicap. They could then review this information and take account of the shortened course and make an adjustment.

Would any adjustment be binding on him?

NearHull

Visit site
As Rulefan points out, ask the Handicap Committee for a peer review but you need to provide evidence.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When you have something like this it is worth remembering that it is the same for everyone. In essence if handicaps were reduced they would be reduced the same amount for everybody.

Personally I would think it very unfair to reduce players handicaps based upon an unmeasured/unrated course and it would be a lot of work for a handicap committee to alter them when the course becomes a measured rated course again.

The other thing that would make it unfair is you are also changing the handicaps for when they are playing away.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks rulefan.

So there is something he can do (albeit he may not want to) by presenting the handicap comittee his current cards which show a significantly better performance than his handicap. They could then review this information and take account of the shortened course and make an adjustment.

Would any adjustment be binding on him?
Yes but he could make an appeal to:
a) the committee itself
b) the County
c) the National Authority (eg England Golf)

My inclination would be to consult the County first.

wjemather

Visit site
A shorter set of tees usually means a lower Slope which would result in higher handicappers getting less strokes relative to lower handicappers (e.g. our slope reduces from 126 to 119 in winter as the course becomes a couple of hundred yards shorter). Course rating would also be lower (ours is ~3 strokes lower).

As such, better scores will not be entirely the result of improvement, and the discrepancy in ratings should be taken into account (perhaps with the assistance of county advisors/raters).

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Presumably General play cards can still be accepted. If they are not you have to get the permission of your local/county Secretary in order to implement this - see the WHS Handicap rules, Section 7. There are also a set of rules produced for Winter Golf, again your County Secretary will be able to provide a copy.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Presumably General play cards can still be accepted. If they are not you have to get the permission of your local/county Secretary in order to implement this - see the WHS Handicap rules, Section 7. There are also a set of rules produced for Winter Golf, again your County Secretary will be able to provide a copy.
The course isn;t rated, so no

tobybarker

Visit site
we do similar (though simpler!) for our seniors. Nothing to stop the HCP committee adjusting his HCP if its felt that it needs changing - we do that too from time to time. You can normally tell if someone is playing consistently well (or worse, come to that) and so needs an adjustment.

AshtonDavies

Visit site
If your club has shortened the course and it's no longer recognized as an official handicap course, then scores achieved on that course cannot be submitted for handicap purposes. In this case, it's not possible for the player in question to have his handicap accurately reflect his current level of ability based on his scores achieved on the shortened course.
However, if the player consistently scores well in excess of 40 points on the shortened course, it's likely that he is capable of shooting similar scores on a full-length course. It may be worth encouraging him to play other courses outside of your club and submit scores from those rounds to establish a more accurate handicap.