CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
:eek: Only six weeks to go....

Fa6gfSP.jpg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think thats the main difference, I am not a golf club member. I think many members think they HAVE to play in winter to get their value from their membership.
I played in winter before I was a member anywhere. I think the advantage is that if I want to play I don't have to play 18 to feel I have got value out of my green fee and can play as many as I want depending on conditions.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Biggest problem here in Leeds is that many courses are built on clay subsurface so any heavy rain just leaves courses waterlogged for much of the winter.

Anyone play on any courses in Leeds that drain well? (no Alwoodley doesn't count!)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Biggest problem here in Leeds is that many courses are built on clay subsurface so any heavy rain just leaves courses waterlogged for much of the winter.

Anyone play on any courses in Leeds that drain well? (no Alwoodley doesn't count!)

It's not really Leeds, but if you head down the M1 to Wortley, that is supposed to stay dry over winter.

I used to do a fair bit of work for a guy that was on the commitee at Howley Hall, and I know they had to close the course a fair bit there, and took quite a few holes out of play for the wettest months.
Where I played at Willow Valley was dreadful in the winter - doesn't help that there's so many water hazards on the course anyway - but they still kept it open on full tees and greens with no mats on tees or fairways.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I try to avoid rain. And boggy courses. And high winds. And freezing temperatures. And water filled bunkers. And cored greens. And tee mats. And excessive worm casts. And loads of dead leaves. And cleaning muddy shoes.
Err... I think I might be a fair weather golfer.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

bwstokie

Visit site
I think not being able to play for most of last winter has clouded my view of winter golf? Just back from a quick 9 holes and the greenstaff have upped the cutting level on greens to 3.5mm and I felt like I had to whack anything over 20 feet to get it to the hole. Almost lost a couple of drives that were just off the fairway under the first drop of leaves.

Reading above those bloody mats will be back out in a few weeks and then Of course we aren’t far off temp tees and greens as well.

It’s grim but I’ll still be out ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This (annual thread) shows with the region variation in the UK.

Some of the Scots lads talk about stopping, fairway mats (I never knew this was a thing till I came on here!) and all sorts of carnage.

Being from the south east, I guess I might put a woolly hat on some days and a jacket! :)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
:eek: Only six weeks to go....

Fa6gfSP.jpg

Absolutely hate playing off those things.

Our place used to give you the option of using a mat or moving your ball to the first cut of the rough to play it. Unfortunately they changed the rule last year, and now you need to play it where it lands. Poor decision imo.

D

Deleted member 3432

Same here, not the end of the world. Rather have good fairways come the new season that one's covered in divots

So true, especially when any new growth might not be noticeable until early May if we have a cold March and April which is a given.

Don't have any issue playing off mats, come off a nice dry course with not a bit of mud in sight all winter knowing we are going to have lovely divot free fairways come spring.

Use of mats is optional but fortunately the members see the bigger picture. No problem for me if visitors want to play off the turf ?

bradleywedge

Visit site
I try to avoid rain. And boggy courses. And high winds. And freezing temperatures. And water filled bunkers. And cored greens. And tee mats. And excessive worm casts. And loads of dead leaves. And cleaning muddy shoes.
Err... I think I might be a fair weather golfer.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

and driving it down the middle and either having to move it into the semi rough or use a mat for your second shot, and using winter greens with massive holes, and the ball plugging and not being able to find it, and losing it amongst leaves..i'm with you on this one.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If anyone asks my missus do I play if it's raining, windy, cold, etc. she just laughs. If the course is open I'll play it. I have a selection of clothing to suit most climes, wet, ice, wind, and dress accordingly. It's all a mind-set thing. If you don't mind being out in all weathers then go for it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I think not being able to play for most of last winter has clouded my view of winter golf? Just back from a quick 9 holes and the greenstaff have upped the cutting level on greens to 3.5mm and I felt like I had to whack anything over 20 feet to get it to the hole. Almost lost a couple of drives that were just off the fairway under the first drop of leaves.

Reading above those bloody mats will be back out in a few weeks and then Of course we aren’t far off temp tees and greens as well.

It’s grim but I’ll still be out ?

I can put up with a certain degree of boginess and cold doesn't bother me, but there's nothing more disheartening than finding temporary greens. It's just not golf. ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've served my time. I've played 36 holes on frozen greens that we hoped would thaw out a little in the afternoon, but actually got whiter, and harder. I've been drenched to the bone, I've been plastered in mud. No more. I prefer the sun on my back nowadays.