Reasonable to request a partial membership refund?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
thats exactly the point of roll ups, allows individuals to rock up and join in with a group of like minded individuals
I completely agree. But according to Oddsocks, his club don't treat it as such and everyone just books the slots up. And seemingly most turn up to play so rarely a spot on the day.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I completely agree. But according to Oddsocks, his club don't treat it as such and everyone just books the slots up. And seemingly most turn up to play so rarely a spot on the day.

yeah had had that discussion with oddsocks (that what his club call roll ups aremnt!), was replying to GG26 about his club tbh (albeit maybe same problem)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
thats exactly the point of roll ups, allows individuals to rock up and join in with a group of like minded individuals
…allow as many as want to play in a rollup register for it…then if it is oversubscribed you ballot for places.

Yes of course some ’regulars’ will lose out…but so be it. The point of a members open rollup is surely that anyone can play in it, and it is a great way of meeting new members and playing with members other than your usual crew.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree you should join one of the roll ups, as all the tee times probably won't be taken up.

If you look back over the post you’ll see all roll ups are fully booked. I’ve always enjoyed roll ups and being told when I joined the club there was several I thought great, find one that suits you age and competitiveness - job done.

Since May I’ve played in three as they are always fully booked. 5 tee slots 20 people for example.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm sure that 2/3 years ago, people were talking about (one of) the booking systems being hacked as slots were already taken by the time they opened for booking?

Wouldn't be surprised if my 10 year old grandson could do it :unsure::ROFLMAO:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you look back over the post you’ll see all roll ups are fully booked. I’ve always enjoyed roll ups and being told when I joined the club there was several I thought great, find one that suits you age and competitiveness - job done.

Since May I’ve played in three as they are always fully booked. 5 tee slots 20 people for example.
At mine the roll ups book a set amount tee slots in advance , there's usually spaces available Or just contact whoever is running the rollup and ask to to fitted in.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
If the roll ups are a closed shop and get priority booking then i think youve got a claim

If booking opens at 7 and isnt full untill 8. You dont have a claim...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a lot of sympathy with the OP, it’s the same at my club. Open at 7am 3 weeks in advance, if you’re logging in any later than 7.30 you’re stuffed for a reasonable morning time.

Understand you don’t want to get up early on your day off but view it this way (which is what I did until I decided I prefer to play afternoons anyway)…if I’m teeing off at 9ish, I’m up at 7, so I can log in then and book for 3 weeks time. Obviously for the first 3 weeks I was getting up at 7 for no reason other than to book a tee time, but once that 3 weeks had passed, I was already up to play golf so it was all fine.

At my last club they had exactly the same issue and decided to change the online booking system to open at 6pm 22 days before…although this didn’t really prevent the mad rush for bookings, it at least meant that you weren’t having to get up stupidly early to do it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is only one roll-up group on Saturday and they basically take up the times from 11.30 to 1.00. If you want to play before then it’s turn up and hope that one of the groups that play earlier are one short and happy for you to join them. A booking system would make it much simpler. It’s largely the roll up groups that object, but they could be given an ongoing block booking so I don’t see the issue.
The OP has a booking system and just needs to get in quick when the times go live. Three weeks is a long time in advance though and not always easy to plan that far in advance. We are one week for the later slots that are bookable.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GG26, re your last paragraph. Do you think it’s reasonable for a club you’re a member at to require you to book three weeks in advance at 7.30am or you will not be able to get a tee slot? To clarify I’ve been trying to find a slot to fit in to either Saturday or Sunday this week pre noon, the earliest I can get is 1pm. I’d expect this kinda crap at a p&p but not at a course I’m paying close to £1700 a year to be a member of.

The other issue is I’ve clicked slots when you do get up early and by the time you’ve added your names to save the booking “ this booking is no longer available “ it’s a massive case of covid toilet roll syndrome.

I have found another club and have checked their tees at peak times visually to ensure I’m not getting sold lemons and they are to their word. The grip I have is I would have paid over £800 pound since November 1st to April 30th. For that value to date I’ve had 3 games and do see why the club should profit as in my opinion they haven’t delivered on multiple parts of their membership twoddle I was fed to join.

This is where my request to terminate my membership as of the 31st of January in return for a prorata 3 month credit was proposed as I simply won’t get a game. Ironically the membership manager has not called me back despite being promised a call yesterday which shows how they value new blood.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
All I'd say is that at our place, unless you want to try and play in a swindle or it's a comp day, you'd struggle to get a tee time before 10.30 if you left it later than 07.45.
If I do wake up in time though, I can book in as myself and 3 guests and then have the pro shop add the names later. It's a pain for them and they hate doing it, so that may change too.
A booking system should be able to block the time until it's booked or closed without booking though, and I'm not sure how many systems do that... and if they cost a lot to implement.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
GG26, re your last paragraph. Do you think it’s reasonable for a club you’re a member at to require you to book three weeks in advance at 7.30am or you will not be able to get a tee slot? To clarify I’ve been trying to find a slot to fit in to either Saturday or Sunday this week pre noon, the earliest I can get is 1pm. I’d expect this kinda crap at a p&p but not at a course I’m paying close to £1700 a year to be a member of.

The other issue is I’ve clicked slots when you do get up early and by the time you’ve added your names to save the booking “ this booking is no longer available “ it’s a massive case of covid toilet roll syndrome.

I have found another club and have checked their tees at peak times visually to ensure I’m not getting sold lemons and they are to their word. The grip I have is I would have paid over £800 pound since November 1st to April 30th. For that value to date I’ve had 3 games and do see why the club should profit as in my opinion they haven’t delivered on multiple parts of their membership twoddle I was fed to join.

This is where my request to terminate my membership as of the 31st of January in return for a prorata 3 month credit was proposed as I simply won’t get a game. Ironically the membership manager has not called me back despite being promised a call yesterday which shows how they value new blood.
With the booking system we use once someone has started a booking online at a specific time no one else can jump in and book it ahead of them. There is a time limit I believe, but that time is reserved until the booking is completed or timed out. It sounds like you have a different system.

As regards you getting a refund you can ask, but it will be at the discretion of the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The club is not managing the rollups properly as rollups. As a member you should be able to have regular round on a Saturday morning…the rollups are the way a club can best ensure that this happens. If numbers for any rollup exceed the available slots then, as mentioned before, ballot for the slots. If you don’t get one this week then you are allocated one the next and not included in the ballot.

Strikes me that there will be the same groups of members playing together and organising themselves to grab the available times. They have to give that up…for the benefit of all members. You MUST be able to play Saturdays, if not every Saturday them at least a good number of them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the booking system we use once someone has started a booking online at a specific time no one else can jump in and book it ahead of them. There is a time limit I believe, but that time is reserved until the booking is completed or timed out. It sounds like you have a different system.

As regards you getting a refund you can ask, but it will be at the discretion of the club.

We use club v1 and when you book you are given a ten minute slot to complete the booking at which time it should be locked to anyone else. In the last few weeks several members have been trying to book a fourball and someone has managed to get their name into the booking meaning someone in that fourball is missed out. Has been reported but heard nothing back. Nothing new with the new captain and GM. Both not made good starts

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We use club v1 and when you book you are given a ten minute slot to complete the booking at which time it should be locked to anyone else. In the last few weeks several members have been trying to book a fourball and someone has managed to get their name into the booking meaning someone in that fourball is missed out. Has been reported but heard nothing back. Nothing new with the new captain and GM. Both not made good starts
We use Club V1 too. Sounds like there is an issue with the software. Someone at your club should be contacting Club V1 to get this addressed.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The club is not managing the rollups properly as rollups. As a member you should be able to have regular round on a Saturday morning…the rollups are the way a club can best ensure that this happens. If numbers for any rollup exceed the available slots then, as mentioned before, ballot for the slots. If you don’t get one this week then you are allocated one the next and not included in the ballot.

Strikes me that there will be the same groups of members playing together and organising themselves to grab the available times. They have to give that up…for the benefit of all members. You MUST be able to play Saturdays, if not every Saturday them at least a good number of them.

That’s the crunch point. I only get to play one day a week and that’s either a Saturday or Sunday depending on comps, but generally on Sunday.

As a fully paid 7 day member I don’t feel it’s realistic to require 21 days advanced booking at 7.35am in order to secure a spot.

I do think there is an element of “ roll up “ spots available, but I’d suggest that from 5 x 4 balls maybe 14-16 are regulars leaving on average approximate 20-25% spare. Maybe the only way of securing a “ roll up “ spot weekly is to have a minimum available for general club participation in order to dismiss the group booking allegations.

I think it’s clear from the feedback that there are simply two options.

1) pre book a tee time 3 weeks in advance at 7.30 even if I don’t know if I’m going to play, imho this makes me as bad as them.

2) let me feet do the talking.