Reasonable to request a partial membership refund?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now you can see why I’m hacked off. 4/5 roll ups all booked solid 3 weeks in advance defeats the point of them being roll ups. I’ve rolled up twice to join hoping there was a space and they’re full … so that option is out too.

This is the issue for me, they arent roll ups if they arent open to everyone, they are cliquey group booking who have tee booking priority, if they arent open roll ups then they shouldnt be able to block book tee times especially if there is clearly a shortage of tee times

Its like calling something a roll up gives you priorities you should only have if you genuinely are a roll up

D

Deleted member 15344

Tee bookings 3 weeks in advance seems madness

We go 7 days in advance but if you want to play then booking opens at 6

You also seem to have swindle pre booked spots where you can’t join in - that’s stupid

We have none of that and it’s just every tee time open to all apart from Tuesday morning

But in answer to your question - i would say no chance

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty much all morning times at my club are booked within a minute of being opened up. Limited daylight means it is more difficult to get a time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow
One hour and there are some sort of spaces left,

Where I play Saturday, Sunday and Monday times will all be gone one minute after bookings open up.

One of the problems you clearly have is people booking and not cancelling when they do not want the slot and I wouod ask the club the address this issue as yu may well find a slot either the day before on on the morning.

We have to check in via the computer to say we are here and playing and it is monitored by the starter.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You always have reasonable grounds to ask. However, the club also has reasonable grounds to refuse. I do believe there are issues with how your booking system is run though. 3 weeks seems to o long and I bet quite a few don't actually play when they are originally booked in for. Instead of leaving, could you not bring up the issue at the AGM and force a vote? We had one last week about bookings but it got thrown out - thankfully as it was a rubbish suggestion ;)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Ours works on a 2 week booking, opening at 7am. You do have to set your alarm and get in quick, but our proshop can add people to bookings at least.
There are times I've not entered a comp in time, but I've never not managed to get a spot, sometimes not until day before, but always get in.
3 weeks seems a very long time, and not sure why it needs to be that. What was the reason?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you absolutely should complain and you should ask for a refund. I wouldn't expect you to get one, but it might trigger a rethink of how the booking system is run, which seems to be the main problem.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could always try your luck in the small claims court. Its an online process and easy to use. Fixed price so you only stand to lose a few quid, if you win the cost gets added to the defendant.

You'd need some basis for a refund though within the terms of the contract.

I.e. what in the member / club contract is the club not fulfilling that would mean there is a case to be heard at the small claims court?

In any case, wouldn't that only be an option once the club's complaints procedure has been exhausted?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
You'd need some basis for a refund though within the terms of the contract.

I.e. what in the member / club contract is the club not fulfilling that would mean there is a case to be heard at the small claims court?

In any case, wouldn't that only be an option once the club's complaints procedure has been exhausted?
Yes you need to show the court you've made every effort to resolve before raising the claim. Like I said its cheap and easy so maybe worth a go.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, ask. The fact booking is allowing times to not be filled is probably good enough to at least start the discussion.

But to echo the other posts we run 10 days in advance and all times are booked from 730 - 1230 within seconds. No pre booking except one 4 ball each for the captains...

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless the booking T&C were unknown to you before you joined, they've probably fulfilled their side of your contract with them so they're unlikely to feel compelled to give you a refund. Given that you've already decided to leave, the club has no incentive to give you any kind of goodwill refund. Explaining your reasons for leaving is always a good thing though, might help guide future policy. I'd make it a friendly chat with the GM rather than a demand for a refund though.