Reasonable to request a partial membership refund?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bit of a weird one but in recent weeks (since November) it’s been impossible to get a tee time at my club. Despite 3 weeks booking in advance up until Friday night (14th) the only tee times available were 1pm onwards and due to the “types” of groups going out around 12.00-13-00 it’s impossible to get a round in, it’s 14 holes if your lucky. Yesterday was my first game at the club since December the first and on route I logged in to our booking app, again for the next two weeks I cannot get a time before 1pm and the only way of playing on the 5th is by entering a non qualifying comp.

Our booking for the 6th opened at 7.30 this morning and by 8.30 all pre 11.30 tee times including roll ups were full, from 11.30 to 12.30 is a mixed/ female roll up so again I can’t play a full round that weekend. When there are 5 roll ups which are all fully booked it’s simply become impossible to get a game at a sensible time as they’re all gone within an hour if you don’t book three weeks in advance by 8.00 am!

Given that on either weekend day I cannot get a slot, I’ve made my decision not to rejoin. Now here the crunch question, do I have solid grounds to request a refund on my final three months of my membership if I leave. As it stands if I can’t get a tee time it’s pointless being there so I’m better off investing the money into green fees elsewhere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Suggest this will be minefield. The club will argue the booking figure is fair, which could then be hard to prove and so will argue that your are due for the full amount. I would suggest speaking to the manager face to face and have a open discussion and see if there is any middle ground you can find

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To OP…is there a limit to the number of rounds that any individual can book.

Is the lead time rolling with one day at a time being released for booking?

Also my feeling is that a 3 week lead time could find some booking slots provisionally and cancelling closer to the booking, making it more difficult for some to plan ahead with booking their tee times…it’s ok if you are very flexible with your time and can grab a late released tee time at the last minite…but many if not most do not have the flexibility of the retired or, to a lesser extent, the self-employed.

Our booking lead time is one week, and that seems to work well. You do have to be particularly sharp to grab a Sat or Sunday morning tee time outside of our roll-up times, but whenever I want one I will get my two, three or four ball arranged in advance and we all try and go on-line at 8pm of the evening 7 days in advance.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am not a lawyer but I suspect the legal position will be dependent on the rules of the club which will probably not allow for partial refunds at the end of the year.
Irrespective of what the legal position is I suspect tryign to establish it would be expensive and time consuming compared with simply approaching the club directly and asking them.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To OP…is there a limit to the number of rounds that any individual can book.

Is the lead time rolling with one day at a time being released for booking?

Also my feeling is that a 3 week lead time could find some booking slots provisionally and cancelling closer to the booking, making it more difficult for some to plan ahead with booking their tee times…it’s ok if you are very flexible with your time and can grab a late released tee time at the last minite…but many if not most do not have the flexibility of the retired or, to a lesser extent, the self-employed.

Our booking lead time is one week, and that seems to work well. You do have to be particularly sharp to grab a Sat or Sunday morning tee time outside of our roll-up times, but whenever I want one I will get my two, three or four ball arranged in advance and we all try and go on-line at 8pm of the evening 7 days in advance.

The opening up on a rolling day basis so for example I could book the 5th yesterday, book the 6th today and tomorrow the 7th will open.

For me the issue comes from people booking “ incase “ they fancy a round but vary rarely do the log on to cancel it. The issue like most no doubt have is I plan my weekends a fortnight or week in advance, as a full paying member I shouldn’t have to rely on a cancelation the night before in my view.

Yesterday we arrived at the club for a 1pm tee time around 11.20 hoping for a slot as a 2 ball, no chance! We actually tees off late, what was worse was there were visitors booked on amongst the members!

I think the issue is that the membership is simply too big for the club, late/mid September we got told that the club was full and was building a waiting list yet every month there’s a welcome section to 8-10 new members in the news letter. When joining originally we were told that once the membership was full all green fees would stop at weekends yet this isn’t the case.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Get up at 07.30 and be fastest finger first! Other than that, find some members who are the ones always booked in, and ask them if they can include you in their group(s)?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am not a lawyer but I suspect the legal position will be dependent on the rules of the club which will probably not allow for partial refunds at the end of the year.
Irrespective of what the legal position is I suspect tryign to establish it would be expensive and time consuming compared with simply approaching the club directly and asking them.

I have no interest in battles over the value, it’s more the principle that of I cannot get a full round of golf in as a fully paid 7 day member in the most expensive category then why should I stay a member. There will no doubt be a legal clause if they wanted to exercise it, my question is more based around the fact of it being a reasonable request?

The course is in pretty good Nick for the time of year and it’s definitely bee worse throughout November and December to which I still struggled with slots, request would be to cancel my membership effective from 31st if Jan with a refund on the remaining three months which have been fully paid.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get up at 07.30 and be fastest finger first! Other than that, find some members who are the ones always booked in, and ask them if they can include you in their group(s)?

The thing is there are slots from 7.30 up until 10am (first roll up) that a singles or two balls but our system doesn’t allow you to join. There are also bookings with one name plus 3 anonymous put in, many members do this which again limits spaces.

Boomy

Visit site
Morning slots gone in an hour...... that’s slow! Silloth’s 8:20-12 weekend slots are usually full with 2-5 minutes. Set a reminder to book a slot promptly after they open?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Morning slots gone in an hour...... that’s slow! Silloth’s 8:20-12 weekend slots are usually full with 2-5 minutes. Set a reminder to book a slot promptly after they open?

So set an alarm for 7.20 on a day off to book a tee time for three weeks time?

Silloth is in a completely difference league to my current course so that doesn’t surprise me, is it three weeks advanced booking there also?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The club is so busy, you can’t play when you want to. Sounds very difficult to book… so you’ve made the understandable decision to leave.

You could ask for partial refund, I’d be shocked if they agree. Legal hat on, you’d have to prove breach of contract and or unreasonable behaviour. Did you ever formally complain? Also depends on contractual terms of membership, most of them (if they exist) don’t guarantee a game!

Our booking opens at 8pm for three days ahead. Wednesday at 8pm is a bit of a bun fight for Saturday morning times in the winter as less light. Alarm is on phone for 7:55 to get on the app. In fact, I am off to book my time for Wednesday in a mo!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
can you not join in one of the roll ups?

think trying to go the legal route will ultimately be more time, effort and frustration for no return, can understand totally not renewing and finding somewhere that works better for you though

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
can you not join in one of the roll ups?

think trying to go the legal route will ultimately be more time, effort and frustration for no return, can understand totally not renewing and finding somewhere that works better for you though

Roll ups solid booked 3 weeks in advance. I’d love to join them!

Boomy

Visit site
So set an alarm for 7.20 on a day off to book a tee time for three weeks time?

Silloth is in a completely difference league to my current course so that doesn’t surprise me, is it three weeks advanced booking there also?

Yeah, I certainly don’t mean this to sound a harsh reply but if you want a specific time then yes, set an alarm to book it - Unfortunately I’d imagine that will be the clubs reply as well, that and they’ll say that is what everyone else has to do.

Thankfully no, at Silloth we are only 7 days ahead and the tee sheet opens at 18:45 - much friendlier alarm but none the less it is like a rugby scrum getting a tee time during the winter months.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The club is so busy, you can’t play when you want to. Sounds very difficult to book… so you’ve made the understandable decision to leave.

You could ask for partial refund, I’d be shocked if they agree. Legal hat on, you’d have to prove breach of contract and or unreasonable behaviour. Did you ever formally complain? Also depends on contractual terms of membership, most of them (if they exist) don’t guarantee a game!

Our booking opens at 8pm for three days ahead. Wednesday at 8pm is a bit of a bun fight for Saturday morning times in the winter as less light. Alarm is on phone for 7:55 to get on the app. In fact, I am off to book my time for Wednesday in a mo!

Booking three weeks in advance doesn’t bother me, not being able to book three weeks in advance as the only slots mean I get 10 holes max is what’s sparked this thread.

I could argue that with the VP or VC was booked in for the 6th before the date was even available but to be fair I feel committees do a lot for the club and acknowledge this as a fair perk for their efforts

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have no interest in battles over the value, it’s more the principle that of I cannot get a full round of golf in as a fully paid 7 day member in the most expensive category then why should I stay a member. There will no doubt be a legal clause if they wanted to exercise it, my question is more based around the fact of it being a reasonable request?

The course is in pretty good Nick for the time of year and it’s definitely bee worse throughout November and December to which I still struggled with slots, request would be to cancel my membership effective from 31st if Jan with a refund on the remaining three months which have been fully paid.
I'm not suggesting it is unreasonable wanting to leave or requesting a refund , I am just doubting the legal entitlement to one and thingk you would be most likely to be successful by approaching them as soon as possible with the request.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so not actually roll ups, just organised group bookings really?

yeah id be off too

Now you can see why I’m hacked off. 4/5 roll ups all booked solid 3 weeks in advance defeats the point of them being roll ups. I’ve rolled up twice to join hoping there was a space and they’re full … so that option is out too.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not suggesting it is unreasonable wanting to leave or requesting a refund , I am just doubting the legal entitlement to one and thingk you would be most likely to be successful by approaching them as soon as possible with the request.

Sorry of my post come across a bit defensive as it wasn’t meant in that manor.

I feel my request is reasonable given I cannot get a game despite being a fully paid 7 day member and still trying to book three weeks in advance.

I feel a call to the Gm is a priority tomorrow morning.