Lithium battery winter care

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
gotr sent this by Motocaddy so thought I'd post it up

6 Key Winter Care Tips for your Lithium battery

As the temperatures drop and winter starts to bite, you may be using your trolley less regularly, so we have put together some top tips to help you ensure the safety, performance and longevity of your Motocaddy battery.

Following these simple steps throughout winter will help extend the life of your Lithium battery:

AVOID LOW TEMPERATURES
Lithium batteries should always be stored at room temperature and must never be stored at temperatures below 5°C when not connected to the trolley, especially when discharged.

IMPORTANT - Attempting to charge a battery at temperatures below 5°C could pose a significant safety risk which could result in a fire during charging. Always let the battery get to room temperature before charging.

BATTERY HIBERNATION
If the battery is not going to be used for lengthy periods, it’s advised to fully charge the battery and disconnect the charger. Then before using again, recharge it (top it up) prior to use. Leaving batteries uncharged for extended periods may reduce capacity.

REGULAR CHARGING
The battery must not be left for longer than two-months without charging or being checked as this may reduce capacity.

AVOID OVERCHARGING
Once a battery has been fully charged (the green light turns on), it should be disconnected and not left connected to the charger unattended overnight or indefinitely.

CHARGING LOCATION
The battery must be stored and charged on a dry, hard, heat-resistant and non-carpeted surface.

EXTENDED RANGE BATTERIES
Extended range batteries should always be recharged as soon as possible after use - ideally within 12 hours - and they shouldn't be used over consecutive days without charge.

Additional Battery Care Information
ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT CHARGER

Ensure that only Motocaddy batteries are charged with Motocaddy chargers & the charger is always connected to an earthed socket outlet.

ALWAYS SEEK EXPERT ADVICE

The battery & charger must only be opened and maintained by authorised personnel. There is a lot of impressive technology inside, so best leave it to the experts.

AVOID DROPPING

Take care not to drop the battery as this may cause damage to the internal cells which could affect battery performance & safety. If dropped, please contact our Customer Support team for advice.

REGULARLY CHECK FOR DAMAGE

Regularly check the battery for visible signs of damage. Do not charge or use the battery if any damage is suspected - contact our Customer Support team for advice.

DISCONNECT BEFORE TRANSPORTING

It is really convenient to leave the battery in the trolley battery tray when you've finished your round, but always remember to disconnect the battery before folding the trolley.

CLEAN WITH A DAMP CLOTH

Use a damp cloth to clean off any dirt, but try to avoid getting the battery too wet (i.e. do not submerge, avoid deep puddles & do not clean your trolley with the battery in the tray).

DO NOT LIFT BY THE CABLE

Do not lift or carry the battery by the cable as this may cause internal damage to the battery and increase the risk of safety issues.

Learn more

We hope that these simple tips will help you get the most from your Motocaddy battery and keep it out on the fairways for many years to come!

Happy golfing!

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
All good points but leaving a fully charged battery connected or disconnecting after charge has always raised a good debate. I personally have not experienced any difference either way. My present extended battery gets left plugged in. It’s nearly 5yrs old and a recent check still has it at 92% efficient. I do play weekly even this time of year when the weather allows and up to 3 times a week in the warmer and light seasons.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Im surprised about 6 - EXTENDED RANGE BATTERIES. I would have thought using them for 18 holes over consecutive days would be why most people pay the extra for them, not because they play 36 holes in the same day.