Winter Golf- Who has the advantage?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Well, I played par on our longest par 4 yesterday, something I have never managed summer conditions. (And a 5 pointer, because I have 3 shots on that hole) We are on temporary greens, making the hole a lot shorter (and the length is pretty much the only thing protecting that specific hole), plus frozen ground made the ball skip and skid a country mile. Wind direction was favourable as well, most of the time you play against the wind on that hole, yesterday the wind was helping. So yeah, the winter rules did help me out massively there. But that said, a 450 yard par 4 (400 for us ladies) will be difficult to reach even for most mid and low handicapped players, so I guess they'd get the same kind of advantage.

Opposed to normally needing an extra shot just for distance, I had the shooting power to reach pretty much every hole in regulation yesterday (I didn't, of course, those temp greens are tiny and just won't hold the ball even if you hit them), but due to ridiculous hops, skids and roll-outs, most holes played more like: drive, full shot, chip, chip, frustrated club throw, chip, putt, chip, putt putt :eek:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
At my course we stay on the main greens in winter, and most of our mats are no nearer than the main tees. So the course is no shorter and all the hazards are in play.

The biggest issue in winter is the saturated ground. If you don't strike the ball cleanly but catch the ground first, the club digs in. In the summer when the ground is firm, a slightly fatted shot isn't punished so badly.

So at my course I reckon the advantage in winter is with the players who consistently hit the ball cleanly - ie the low handicappers.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as my learned friend said earlier. much easier. Rough cut back to nothing so no advantage hitting the fairway and the course almost 700 yards shorter. Greens slow and bumpy most of the time so again no advantage being a good putter. Plus we are off mats so always have a perfect lie and even the slowest SS can still generate enough spin to stop the ball. Take SI1 for instance. 430 in summer that plays 20/30 yards longer due to being on the top of a big Dune, which unless you hit a straight long drive, you struggle to get on in two and if its slightly short of the green the ball will roll back 90 yards to the bottom of the hill.

In winter, its almost always a winter green which is some 120 short of the main green. even if you hit a poor drive you still are only faced with a short iron or wedge at worst. most would be disappointed with a par here, even high handicaps

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally feel the high handicappers have an advantage! I say that during the winter, golfers improve 10-20% with the short course. so say a 15 handicapper against a 7 handicapper.

20% percent of 15 is 3 compared to a 7 handicappers 1.4! that's 2 shots!
And at my club when they're on winter greens the hole is bigger - its like putting into a bin lid! So where it would even up for the lower handicapper that is gone.